My Knopfler sound

That's a great tone and beautiful playing. I think I hear a little more "dirt" in his live sound than what you have.

Pretty much note for note- very good playing! Tone is good. I might add a bit more compression but its good as is...

Sounds great to me. Great playing too.

Thanks

That's a great tone and beautiful playing. I think I hear a little more "dirt" in his live sound than what you have.

Thanks, I was aiming for the studio sound.

Sounds cool - i would propably play a bit more agressive with your plucking fingers and add a stronger vibrato - maybe you could dial your sound a bit darker - but sounds very Knopflerish!!

That was just the factory "Sultans" with a strat in position 2 :

https://soundcloud.com/haiko-2/playalikemarkknopfler14a

taken from this article:

Play-Alike #61 - Mark Knopfler / Dire Straits WorkshopÂ*::Â*Bonedo

Oh, I didn't know there is a sultans preset, I like it.It's the same amp and cab that I used but with different settings.

Pretty much note for note- very good playing! Tone is good. I might add a bit more compression but its good as is...

Thanks.

Hmm. You can improve it by giving me that patch? :D

I dig it. Strat or something else?

Great start and killer playing but the tone needs way more grit. If you listen to the stem tracks, that tone actually has way more bite than anyone thinks it does. I'd dial up the drive and mids a bit. Plucking harder, as well, will help, but we can't all be MK, obviously. Dude's fingers are like the most nuanced sledgehammers ever.

One of my favorite surprises about hearing these for the first time was how much chorus there is on the rhythm parts.

Nice find with the stems. The amount chorus is very surprising.

I'm finding that a little grit on my cleans isn't noticeable in the mix as grit but does help me poke through the keys and bass nicely. Funny how that works really.

Nice find with the stems. The amount chorus is very surprising.

I'm finding that a little grit on my cleans isn't noticeable in the mix as grit but does help me poke through the keys and bass nicely. Funny how that works really.

I'm a huge stems fan. I have an enormous collection, and have learned so much about guitar/recording/production/etc. from studying them at length. One of the biggest things you notice when you go through stems is that 1) Cleans are almost never as clean as you think they are, and 2) dirty tones are almost never as dirty as you think the are. It's all about cutting. Really interesting.

Hmm. You can improve it by giving me that patch? :D

I dig it. Strat or something else?

Thank you, it is a CS strat.I like the patch from the presets even better as you can hear in this short clip:

Great start and killer playing but the tone needs way more grit. If you listen to the stem tracks, that tone actually has way more bite than anyone thinks it does. I'd dial up the drive and mids a bit. Plucking harder, as well, will help, but we can't all be MK, obviously. Dude's fingers are like the most nuanced sledgehammers ever.

One of my favorite surprises about hearing these for the first time was how much chorus there is on the rhythm parts.

Thanks, I think you are right, more grit indeed.I hear much more details in that video.

11gage strings

I use 10's.

Phil.

Again, you are very close, already. Once you up the grid a little bit, you'll be very very very close :)

To get even closer, the problem will become that you are not mark knophler and that since so much of his tone is his fingers, even more so than a lot of players, he is incredibly hard to mimic 100%! What a genius player.

Back
Top Bottom