My journey with the Axe-Fx (from beginner to tweaking Guru)

SOAWM

Inspired
Dear Fractal brothers and sisters,

After reading Clarky’s amazing thread with his preset-building adventure, I’d also like to share my journey with you. There are two significant differences between Clarky and myself. First of all his musicianship transcends every note I ever played, so don’t except any virtuosity in this thread. Secondly, and this is the most fundamental difference, I have next to no experience with heavily tweaking a digital unit.

Before I bought the Axe-Fx II, I was a long time POD X3 user and was never bothered with tweaking to find ‘my’ sound. Probably because the POD wasn’t that capable and most of all, because I only used it at home with headphones. At the moment I still use my Peavey 6505 at rehearsals and live, but when my endless endeavors with the Axe pay off, I might sell it all and build my rig around the Axe-Fx II.

The reason I chose the Axe-Fx is that I want versatility. Next to my metal band I’m also starting an instrumental post-rock project and since that kind of music heavily relies upon effects, the Fractal Black Box is an awesome investment. I didn’t feel like having to buy a clean Fender amp, a gazillion stompboxes and only being able to play with them at rehearsals (I live in a small apartment). I want to write, play and tweak at home and let it translate to rehearsals and live performances.

What can you expect in this thread? Since I don’t have a lot of experience with tweaking and music production in general, you won’t find awesome presets in this thread right away. Since there are a lot of kind helpful and experienced people on this forum, I will post links to tones I want to approach and I will also post my attempt. These attempts will suck 9 out of 10 times and I hope that some people will have the time to give some helping guidelines or tips.

This way I want to try to develop my tones, step by step, without using only my inexperienced ears. What do I give in return? I will try to keep this thread as up-to-date as possible, which enables other users to learn from this as well. I will keep backups of my presets, make sound clips to compare tones, post screenshots of Axe-Edit and try to be as helpful as possible. My ultimate goal is to see a clear evolution in my tones after months, which will inspire other inexperienced users to learn the in’s and out’s of this unit.

I have a very diverse taste in music and I want to use the versatility of the Axe-Fx II to achieve a very broad array of tones. Playing-wise I’m most experienced in old school metal (Thrash and Death), but as said before I’m also starting a ambient post-rock project. The first couple of tones will probably be situated in these genres, but after a while I will also give my full attention to other genres. After years of slacking I want to learn more about my guitar and playing other genres that aren’t in my comfort zone is a very good exercise.

Once I have money to expand my rig to the Axe II, I will also use this thread to work on switching with the MFC-101, expression pedals, adapting presets to a live environment,…

So who’s with me? Let’s take this wild rollercoaster ride together and make some stellar tones!

It's summer break, so I almost have 3 months of vacation, so I'll start to post in this topic as soon as possible!

You make it sound difficult :p
For me, the difficulty is how to fit >50 ruling preset tones on my 5 available MFC preset buttons :mrgreen
Let's hope Axechange will take at least a couple of more years to finish :lol

Did you connect the Axe to the loop return of your amp yet?

Anyway, I agree on wanting "all tones ever" and there's still some work to be done there...
Please lead the way :p

I'll be checking in, and hope to see you finding a few tips and tricks to pass on, besides the occasional earth moving preset! :)

count me in.....

this has the potential to be a very good thread....
when I started my thread I was new to the Axe, but I was not new to using rack mounted guitar fx units...
so for me it was simply a case of learning how to make the Axe do the things that I'm already used to..
and of course also learning the Axe's "voice"...

you seem to be starting with less previous experience..
so a thread like this could be extremely cool....

your first days with the Axe will no doubt be all about the factory presets....
just wandering through them.. having a play and just finding what you like etc....

so where from here???

you have 2 choises:
- create your own presets from scratch
- modify factory presets to your taste

I'd suggest that modifying factory presets is a better place to start...
there's less to think about and it'll give you a chance to get used to editing the Axe..

top tip:
learn to edit the Axe from the front panel first..

I do 90% of my preset creation via Axe-Edit, but away from the studio I will not have this luxury so it is important to be competent working via the front panel.. you don't need to be an expert from the front panel, but certainly get used to finding your way around..

your first job with your new Axe is to check the firmware
if it is 6.01 or lower you'll be wanting to upgrade to 6.02

Axe-Edit should be 1.0.307

you can download this from the main FAS website. Click on support and you'll see everything in there.

Just got back from a trip to a museum and this thread already has 5 comments, if it keeps going at this rate, I'll maybe have a preset at page 20! :lol

Did you connect the Axe to the loop return of your amp yet?

Unfortunately not and it will probably take a while before I have the chance. My stack is stored in our rehearsal room, which we rent. Since it uses a badge-system to enter, I can only get acces to my gear on our rehearsal hours. We rehearse ever saturday evening from 7 to 10 PM and we need that time to rehearse, so I won't have the chance to get a couple of hours of tweaking. We are planning to record a demo this summer, which we will mic and track ourself, so our 3 hours/week will be pretty full!

I'll be checking in, and hope to see you finding a few tips and tricks to pass on, besides the occasional earth moving preset! :)

Don't expect my presets to shake the earth out of it's orbit! ;)

count me in.....

this has the potential to be a very good thread....
when I started my thread I was new to the Axe, but I was not new to using rack mounted guitar fx units...
so for me it was simply a case of learning how to make the Axe do the things that I'm already used to..
and of course also learning the Axe's "voice"...

you seem to be starting with less previous experience..
so a thread like this could be extremely cool....

your first days with the Axe will no doubt be all about the factory presets....
just wandering through them.. having a play and just finding what you like etc....

so where from here???

you have 2 choises:
- create your own presets from scratch
- modify factory presets to your taste

I'd suggest that modifying factory presets is a better place to start...
there's less to think about and it'll give you a chance to get used to editing the Axe..

top tip:
learn to edit the Axe from the front panel first..

I do 90% of my preset creation via Axe-Edit, but away from the studio I will not have this luxury so it is important to be competent working via the front panel.. you don't need to be an expert from the front panel, but certainly get used to finding your way around..

your first job with your new Axe is to check the firmware
if it is 6.01 or lower you'll be wanting to upgrade to 6.02

Axe-Edit should be 1.0.307

you can download this from the main FAS website. Click on support and you'll see everything in there.

Thanks for the reply! My Axe is fully up to date and I've had some time with the factory presets. The technical aspects of the Axe don't scare me, as I've always been around computers and technology in general. Since I live in a small apartment and never had the chance to spend countless hours with real amps to tweak, I think that the sound engineering part will be the most difficult for myself. At rehearsals I just tweak a little until it sounds good and then I start playing our songs. I really need to develop a better ear for it and I think that the feedback in this thread may be of invaluable importance!

The only experience I have with rack-units, is my Rocktron Replifex. This is an amazing unit, but since it's stored in our rehearsal room, I haven't had much time with it.

Top tip: it's better to wait till you've finished all your chocolates :p

Still working on it!

This could deff be the coolest thread ever.
Nice initiative.

Thanks mate! Let's hope I keep updating this thread regularly and that the whole learning process is well documented, to help other people!

If you don't have one already, a soundcloud account will be good too so you can post audio clips...
no one cares if you play like a noob or a top pro...
so try not to be shy...
what matters is that folk can hear your presets and offer suggestions..

have a mess around with some of the fractory presets to get used to things...
try out different cab types and experiment with the various cab parmaters
try adding different fx blocks and experimenting with them..
and of course experiments with different amp types...
one of the things you'll find here is the impact that the master volume has on the tone..
so try high drive values with low master volume values... and the reverse...
note how these settings change not only the tone but the feel..

tonally, the Axe can take quite some time to get to know, if for no other reason than the sheer quantity of amps and cabs available...
so you have to be patient and experiment quite a lot..

If you don't have one already, a soundcloud account will be good too so you can post audio clips...
no one cares if you play like a noob or a top pro...
so try not to be shy...
what matters is that folk can hear your presets and offer suggestions..

have a mess around with some of the fractory presets to get used to things...
try out different cab types and experiment with the various cab parmaters
try adding different fx blocks and experimenting with them..
and of course experiments with different amp types...
one of the things you'll find here is the impact that the master volume has on the tone..
so try high drive values with low master volume values... and the reverse...
note how these settings change not only the tone but the feel..

tonally, the Axe can take quite some time to get to know, if for no other reason than the sheer quantity of amps and cabs available...
so you have to be patient and experiment quite a lot..

That's golden advice! At the moment I'm deciding what song/sound to start with and then i'll post the first mission of this thread ;)

I will definitely upload my recordings to Soundcloud and post them here frequently. It has been a long time since I logged in to my account and apparently there's only one cover on it. I'll post it here, so you have and idea of what I was capable of with the POD X3. It's a cover of Autopsy's Severed Survival. Gear used: POD X3, Catharsis Impulses, Superior Drummer and a Schecter with EMG 81.

Preset Mission 1: Mastodon's Blood and Thunder

The first sound I will try to achieve is Mastodon's Blood and Thunder. Mastodon is one of the only modern metal bands that really does something with me, especially their more prog-oriented Crack the Skye. Blood and Thunder is far from my favorite song of them, but I have a original multi-track recording of the song. This enables me to solo every track (vocals, guitars, bass and drums). This way I can really analyse the sound of the guitar, without being influenced by the other instruments. After we get close to the sound, I can also try to add a Tone Match block to see how much closer this gets me.

For those who don't know the song:

MASTODON - "Blood and Thunder" - YouTube

After doing some research I found out that Mastodon used the following amps in their Leviathan era:

- Marshall JCM800
- Marshall Plexi or JMP
- Laney VH100R

So I was thinking about trying with two of the following amp-models:

- Brit 800 or Brit 800 MOD
- 1987x Normal
- Plexi Normal
- Friedman BE

I'm going to use my Jackson KE2 (usa) with a JB in the Bridge. This is one of my favorite pickups and I think it will suit this music better than a compressed EMG.

Once we find a tone that is really good, I will swap the original guitars with mine. This way we can hear how the sounds survive in the original mix with drums, vocals and bass.

All tips are welcome. What amp models do you think are best for this job or do you have a specific cab in mind? Is the song playing tricks with me or is the first guitar (intro) lower gain, which gets boosted once the other instruments fill in? Or does that guitar stay the same and does the sound get that much bigger by the other guitar/instruments?

You can count me in as well.

The Axe is quite intimidating at first, I was so excited when I received mine but almost immediately after had feelings of "OH NO WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO." I have had it now for about 5 months and I still don't really feel like I know what I am doing but I do feel like I know enough (with the help of some forum members amazing presets) to be able to achieve tones that are far superior to what I have had in the past with my tube amps and effects.

I have played metalcore for a long while and just recorded our latest album entirely with the Axe. I'll post an unmastered rough mix sample later when I get home and the main patch I used if you are interested. That band has sort of parted ways and interestingly enough now I also play ambient post-rock with another band. I'll share some patches I have for that too and would love to have some input to improve them.

One thing I will say is that I really have no clue what I'm doing beyond the Main tab of the amp, any modifications I've made have just been fiddling.

You can count me in as well.

The Axe is quite intimidating at first, I was so excited when I received mine but almost immediately after had feelings of "OH NO WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO." I have had it now for about 5 months and I still don't really feel like I know what I am doing but I do feel like I know enough (with the help of some forum members amazing presets) to be able to achieve tones that are far superior to what I have had in the past with my tube amps and effects.

I have played metalcore for a long while and just recorded our latest album entirely with the Axe. I'll post an unmastered rough mix sample later when I get home and the main patch I used if you are interested. That band has sort of parted ways and interestingly enough now I also play ambient post-rock with another band. I'll share some patches I have for that too and would love to have some input to improve them.

One thing I will say is that I really have no clue what I'm doing beyond the Main tab of the amp, any modifications I've made have just been fiddling.

I'm definitely interested in your patches! What are your influences post-rock wise? We are going to try to write music in veins of EF, PG.lost, Yndi Halda, ...

Alright boys and girls, time for my first attempt of creating a tone. I am FAR from happy with it, but I rather post it here before it is finished, so you can follow how it evolves. This tone is only for the intro of Blood and Thunder, the main riffing tone is next on the list.

AMP used: Friedman HBE with very low gain
CAB: TMA-block

That's all to this sound, nothing fancy: just an amp and a 'cab'. Recorded the riff twice and panned in my DAW. Sorry that my playing was so sloppy, but since I'll be playing the riff a lot over the next couple of days, I couldn't be bothered doing multiple takes.

First I wanted to use a regular cab, but I just couldn't dial in the sound. I'm having a hard time to analyse something I hear and knowing what frequencies are more prominent. Another thing I noticed: the Bass, Mid and Treble weren't that responsive in this amp. Could that be because I kept the gain very low?

Anyway, here is the recording. First the original and than my tone.

Try a tone match with the Mastodon, and the tone. Good thread and I am in Belgium at the moment.

What do you mean by that first part? I already did a tone match with the original guitar track! ;) But I'm not happy with the result, my track sounds too fizzy and is less defined, I think.

Nice that you are in Belgium! Where are you originally from? Enjoying your stay?

Sorry that my playing was so sloppy

295234_10151078299728885_1433834863_n.jpg

What do you mean by that first part? I already did a tone match with the original guitar track! ;) But I'm not happy with the result, my track sounds too fizzy and is less defined, I think.

Nice that you are in Belgium! Where are you originally from? Enjoying your stay?
The first part was a suggestion to try the tone matching feature if you hadn't already, but now I noticed that you had noted that.

I am English, but have family in Belgium and the Netherlands. Ya, het is gezellig.

Even with the TMA-block I can't dial in a good sound for the intro :evil

My attempts always sound less organic, more fizzy and less punchy. I also have the feeling that my open D-notes (one step down tuning) are too overwhelming in my recording, where as the in the original track the sound is more focussed on the chords. So I'm guessing my mixing of high and low frequencies isn't good? Any tips one how to adress these problems?

How would you embark on creating this tone? To be honest I think this should be doable with only an amp and a cab (or a TMA-block) or am I missing something?

Volume will be playing a large part in the original tone and room sound so you may need to add something to give a similar feel at lower volumes.

Volume will be playing a large part in the original tone and room sound so you may need to add something to give a similar feel at lower volumes.

I understand that volume plays a big role in how you perceive a sound, but I think I can get a lot closer to the original sound when recording. After all: the Axe-Fx can emulate high volume sounds at bedroom levels.

My mission of today: going through all of the factory presets again and taking not of which I really like and sort them out. Clean with clean, Hi gain with Hi gain, ambient with ambient,... This way I always now where to go to if I want a good starting point.

Where do you guys store your own presets? 000 to ... or on another bank?

Back
Top Bottom