My jazz preset with Kurt Rosenwinkel bowed sound

jzgtrguy

Inspired
Hi This is my jazz preset Scene 2 is my attempt at achieving Kurt Rosenwinkel's bowed sound. I used the auto swell plus an octave divider set to unison plus a compressor it still doesn's trigger fast enough. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• JC120 JAZZ.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
I tried something a bit different, which seems to be somewhat closer to how Kurt sets his gear as far as I can tell from Youtube videos.

I shaved off frequencies which have most of the pick attack, added "synth" in parallel with "POG" emulation from factory preset (just a little, barely noticeable - adjust to your taste), and clamped it all with a compressor really hard. It all goes into clean Fender, which also seems more or less closer to what Kurt would use instead of JC120, but removed bass and treble, including a 2K filter in the Input EQ page. I've added tons of compression via Speaker and Dynamics pages, and topped it all with Tube preamp compression in Cab block.

The sound is muddy sometimes with my pickups (active Fishman humbuckers), I'll play with EQ more. It sounds better with single coils, surprisingly, cleaner and more focused. Legato lines basically play themselves with this amount of compression, but a boost can be enabled in Amp block if more push and sensitivity is required.

You might want to disable Synth blocks for chordal work. It's very low in the mix, barely audible (again, adjust to your tastes for single note lines), but chords will be cleaner anyway without it.

Overall, it sounds decent in headphones, but I have no idea how it will sound loud, sorry :)

Attachments

• Rosenwinkel bowed sound.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Disregard, try this instead.

The Tim Pierce gate trick from his GOT https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/_gift22/FAS-gift22-24-Tim-Pierce-v2.zip took me probably 80% there. Hope this will help you shape the sound you are after. Play with parameters in the Gate block to tune it to your liking. Tim Pierce has the Attack on 5ms, but I found it more like Kurt with 30ms setting.

Volume block now uses Envelope filter on the Volume instead of auto-swells but I found it doing very little good when Gate trick is used, so I disabled it. You might find it more useful for you than I did.

I'm on FM3 so I didn't add Drive block with Rat (don't need it now, but in the future I might add it instead of the Volume), and removed Reverb due to lack of CPU power. Add it back - I just needed it removed to be able to work with the preset.

One thing I'm still struggling with is to remove the hard clank from compressors during the attack of the note on quick runs when picking heavily. It's too percussive now but I failed to dial it out.

Let me know what you think. Maybe we should put it on AxeChange if it's good.

Attachments

• Rosenwinkel bowed sound v2.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, here's the latest iteration. Let's walk one extra mile.

Go here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...some-free-irs-and-a-sloppy-rush-cover.191451/ and download the preset and IRs. Load IR's into your User Cab slot and enjoy this fantastic preset a little. I nearly switched from guitar to violin because of it - be warned.

Now, load my v3 version of your preset and make sure to load the VIOLA IR from the pack above into the Cab 2R slot channel C of the CAB block, like so:
1724449073754.png
Please note you don't have to use the 1014 slot of the User cab bank - just load the VIOLA IR from whatever slot you've saved it in.
Try the "Violin" scene 5 where it is used and see if you like it. I think we are as close as it is possible now.

I've also added the "octaver" scene which uses Pitch Follower on the volume control of -1 and -2 octaves. The way it works is when Pitch follower detects low notes on E and A strings, it adds detuned octaves to the sound, and when you move up the neck, it gradually removes octaves from the sound by lowering the volume of detuned octaves until there is nothing left, starting more or less from G string.
This sounds quite close to Boss octaver to my ears. You can adjust the controller to have a more pronounced effect, like 100% volume of the detuned octaves on through all the notes on E-A-D strings and then hard switch to 0 volume of detuned octaves on higher notes. Copy channel B of the Pitch block into channel B, change the "Channel" setting from B to C and play with it to find the values which work for you.
Or just work with channel B, whatever, you can always roll back.
1724449423774.png

I think I'm done for today, will revisit it in a few days with fresh ears.

Attachments

• Rosenwinkel bowed sound v3.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom