My humble Axe II rig (pic)

smileangus.jpg

LOL!!!!

In LA I play in a cover band. We do a small club and backyard party circuit for folks with too much money. The music is generally classic rock, often 80's hair metal-oriented, since many LA locals grew up on that music.

I travel for two gigs, one in the Bay Area, and one in Portland, OR. They involve both live and studio work (often on the same day!).

Goodluck with getting back into the scene. All these gigs I have now are a result on knowing the right
people and having been in the scene for 20+ years. The essentials of what gets me invited back
over and over have nothing to do with being a giant on my instrument (I'm not) and everything to do with people skills and attitude.

For example, one of my studio gigs, I'm brought in as one of two guitar players. But, in practice, I help
with song-writing, recording, lyrics, other instruments (especially bass), vocals, etc. I help and contribute. There is no such thing as "not my job". So people like working with me (having the Axe helps too).

One last tip. In cover band work, showmanship will get you alot futher than musicianship.
I find people don't want to hear a brilliant 15 minute jam on "Whipping Post", but
they love it if I put on a brown shorts UPS uniform for our "Back in Black" cover,
and strut around like Angus Young.

So true.

Dream on, beaatches! I ain't fallin' for that.
I promise you its not pretty. 53 year old man
in boy scout shorts. Just sad. What I do for money.

There was a 50 + year old getting into Boy Scouts shorts locally round these parts too a few years back ..... no stage involved though! Don't think his parole comes up for another 5 years or so ...... :roll

Well - I've just ordered up a pair of EVM12Ls from our favourite German Online store and hopefully getting a nice custom made Pine cabinet built by a local enthusiastic carpenter ..... might as well hear my duff notes as clearly as possible!

Thanks for a very informative thread Smilefan .... may the wind behind you always be your own!

In LA I play in a cover band. We do a small club and backyard party circuit for folks with too much money. The music is generally classic rock, often 80's hair metal-oriented, since many LA locals grew up on that music.

Does your LA area band(s) have a website? What is the band name? I'd like to come hear the axefx in a live band setting. Thanks.

Bumping this in the hopes of finding out about Smilefan's axefx band gigs (and anyone else's as well). Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thought this thread was as dead as Elvis.
We do not have a web site. We don't need one. These are private party gigs
we play. The kind of thing you have to be invited to. Very, very adult oriented, if you
catch my drift. PM me, if you like.

Back
Top Bottom