My hope for 6.0...

Webb

Power User
With 6.0 right around the corner, I really hope there is an increase in the sharing of amp/tone matching/presets. Maybe AxeChange, if it's ready, will help with this. But to really take advantage of the new features coming, it helps to have a collaborative forum to exchange patches. Not everyone has a monster collection of tube amps in their stable, or the ability/experience/equipment to properly mic and tweak in order to get great results. Not to compare it to the "K" word, but there has been a plethora of user profiles exchanged already in it's relatively short lifespan.

The only slight disappointment I've had with the II is that there hasn't been quite the level of sharing I experienced coming from the Ultra. For non-tweakers, it was great to see someone like Scott Peterson give a detailed explanation of his presets. Many of them turned out to be my go-to tones with the Ultra. I know that's asking a lot, but it would be great to even just see the presets of some of the more advanced users. No explanation needed...just a "here's my Vox patch" period would be helpful. I get a boner when I see a post from Yek or Walliman in the preset sharing section (and I'm a married man!). In Scott's defense, he did say he was planning on something like that again when I asked a few months ago.

I know some like to keep their patches closely-guarded secrets, but hopefully once the user-base of the II expands we'll see an increase in activity in the sharing department. I think this will be even more essential with the upcoming capabilities of 6.0.

Agreed. I've only been asked to share one of my presets (still a noob to this even after having the II for a half year). My guess is the new update will naturally lean this way. I will definitely be sharing some Gilmour tones! :)

My hope for 6.0 goes like this. "Hey how did you get that awesome tone?". "Factory default patch number 20, no tweaks." I am sure everyone will have little things they want to tweak. But I will be looking for the simplest road there.

I fully intended to make and share patches when I got mine. But between the factory presets and Mark Day I've found every tone I've ever needed.
It sounds like a cliché but it's true.
Oddly enough my favourite tone for lead and rhythm is Mark Days " Hurricane " patch on the Ibanez Jem 7WVH guitar. Full volume and tone clockwise 100% in the far right pickup position is amazing for riffs and lead alike but for clean tones, with the pickup to the far left, tone dial 100% clockwise and the volume rolled down to about 10% ( yes, barely any volume ! ) it sounds amazing too.
Not practical to use this switch / tone switch rolling on the fly I know but the 2 sounds it gives cover my solo / riff / clean sound needs.
But you bet am excited about the next FW, especially this new feature which interests me a lot since there are some killer guitar intros floating around out there !
As always nothing but respect and amazement to FAS for what they've pulled out the hat so far.

Have you tried the Smilefan patches? There are a ton of them and he's quite the patch designer. Personally, I tend to like the sound of patches that I program from scratch with a generally rawer sound. Smilefan's patches have a ton of really great ideas in a wide variety of styles and will keep you busy for a while.

I hear you though about the sharing. I think the lack of AxeChange has a ton to do with that. I'd expect to see an explosion of patches between the combination of the Amp/tone matching and AxeChange.

Wee rant time ....

There are always a few problems with sharing presets 'ad hoc' EG. using something like AxeChange in my opinion:

1. What about the IRs used? If they are commercial then its not possible to share these - and now there are a lot of self mixing capabilities for IRs so that compounds this problem even further.

2. The original user would have created these around their own outboard monitoring solution - so it's unlikely to sound quite the same unless you have the identical set up

Of course, these problems are surmountable by listing exactly what IRs were used and how you mixed the IR and saying what Global settings were used and what monitors or amp/cab were used - but I can envisage a lot of unexplained presets thrown up which can just lead to frustration and time wasting.

There are some very dedicated members on this board who do of course go the extra mile for us all - you know who they are so I won't mention them by name in case I leave someone out, but you mentioned a couple in your post .... but what I fear most is a collapse into the mire that was the Line6 Preset Exchange thing ........

To put it simply - it could work but only if all the required information was included with the preset - and some sort of moderation would be a good idea to enforce that - but it means time and energy for some poor sod(s).

I think everyone should really try and learn to tweak out their own sounds to some extent.

I'm sure there are users out there who are of the opinion that they paid top dollar for this thing and want ready made sounds with minimum effort - but - the other way to look at it is that yes this box is expensive - but part of the reason of that is because it is so 'tweakable' right down to miniscule detail levels. However, you don't have to go that deep to get something good from the Axe2 I find - there are generally a few 'go to' places that can sweeten things nicely.

With the imminent arrival of tone matching we now have something else to throw in the mix - it's a commendable programming feat I'm sure - but I can't really believe that too many people have actually tapped into all the possibilities available existing already at Version 5. If you're an Axe2 owner and you see a YouTube vid or hear a Soundcloud track of a Standard or Ultra user who nails a great tone better sounding to you than your own tones then you need to realise it's generally because they sat down and worked a bit at getting it good.

To conclude; I'm not against sharing in any way - but I prefer to see sharing done via a dedicated forum like it is here - if someone posts up a preset then they should be expected to answer any questions about it and put themselves in the firing line if it's a total dog (therefore discouraging any other chancers who feel like throwing up any old crap) - if it passes muster then it could possibly be moved to an archive somewhere - if some kindly soul is prepared to run that archive that is.

The most important thing to remember though is - it's very likely you'll still need to tweak even the best presets to match your own environment!

This post was inspired by wasting many an hour with Line6 user presets back in the day ..... I'm tainted for life now. Then again, you're quite sad for reading it all this far too ....

Have you tried the Smilefan patches? There are a ton of them and he's quite the patch designer. Personally, I tend to like the sound of patches that I program from scratch with a generally rawer sound. Smilefan's patches have a ton of really great ideas in a wide variety of styles and will keep you busy for a while.

I hear you though about the sharing. I think the lack of AxeChange has a ton to do with that. I'd expect to see an explosion of patches between the combination of the Amp/tone matching and AxeChange.

Again, I found every patch for my style of playing almost instantly but you're right - I really should break outta the box and see what else is out there. Thanks for the heads up, will track down some of his patches and give them a shot !

My Hope for 6.0 is to one day hopefully very soon no longer have the need to hope for 6.0

Till then yek let me know if you need another world peace beta tester.....

>> My hope for 6.0...

Is world peace.
Betatesting world peace now, but it ain't working right.

My my yek - you sound almost post-coital philosophical - I'm going to assume it's been a successful beta test on v6 then?

Let me guess the answer ...... wait and feckin see? :)

Wee rant time ....

There are always a few problems with sharing presets 'ad hoc' EG. using something like AxeChange in my opinion:

1. What about the IRs used? If they are commercial then its not possible to share these - and now there are a lot of self mixing capabilities for IRs so that compounds this problem even further.

2. The original user would have created these around their own outboard monitoring solution - so it's unlikely to sound quite the same unless you have the identical set up

Of course, these problems are surmountable by listing exactly what IRs were used and how you mixed the IR and saying what Global settings were used and what monitors or amp/cab were used - but I can envisage a lot of unexplained presets thrown up which can just lead to frustration and time wasting.

There are some very dedicated members on this board who do of course go the extra mile for us all - you know who they are so I won't mention them by name in case I leave someone out, but you mentioned a couple in your post .... but what I fear most is a collapse into the mire that was the Line6 Preset Exchange thing ........

To put it simply - it could work but only if all the required information was included with the preset - and some sort of moderation would be a good idea to enforce that - but it means time and energy for some poor sod(s).

I think everyone should really try and learn to tweak out their own sounds to some extent.

I'm sure there are users out there who are of the opinion that they paid top dollar for this thing and want ready made sounds with minimum effort - but - the other way to look at it is that yes this box is expensive - but part of the reason of that is because it is so 'tweakable' right down to miniscule detail levels. However, you don't have to go that deep to get something good from the Axe2 I find - there are generally a few 'go to' places that can sweeten things nicely.

With the imminent arrival of tone matching we now have something else to throw in the mix - it's a commendable programming feat I'm sure - but I can't really believe that too many people have actually tapped into all the possibilities available existing already at Version 5. If you're an Axe2 owner and you see a YouTube vid or hear a Soundcloud track of a Standard or Ultra user who nails a great tone better sounding to you than your own tones then you need to realise it's generally because they sat down and worked a bit at getting it good.

To conclude; I'm not against sharing in any way - but I prefer to see sharing done via a dedicated forum like it is here - if someone posts up a preset then they should be expected to answer any questions about it and put themselves in the firing line if it's a total dog (therefore discouraging any other chancers who feel like throwing up any old crap) - if it passes muster then it could possibly be moved to an archive somewhere - if some kindly soul is prepared to run that archive that is.

The most important thing to remember though is - it's very likely you'll still need to tweak even the best presets to match your own environment!

This post was inspired by wasting many an hour with Line6 user presets back in the day ..... I'm tainted for life now. Then again, you're quite sad for reading it all this far too ....

I hear what you're saying, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the new features more so than tweaking amp models already in the box. Amp matching opens a whole new world of possibilities, but one would need the skills and equipment to capture the tone. To me, the success of this feature depends on the level of sharing within the community.

I can't speak for others but I think because firmware is moving so fast at the moment people are spending more time dialing then sharing.

Hm. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Shouldn't you spend more time dialing anyway?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just hard to keep up with the constant upgrades, just when you get to a tone you're proud of a new firmware pops up and it's back to the laboratory for a few weeks lol.

Back
Top Bottom