My high gain tutorial! FW14, CabLab2, Axe-Edit3 involved.

erockomania

Experienced
Hey guys, I thought I would put together a quick tutorial on how I get high gain tones relatively quickly. By no means is this an end-all/be-all and we all know there are a million ways to do this, but maybe it will help some folks that struggle a bit. I hope you dig! :)

I based the tutorial around the Friedman HBE base patch and took it from there. Patches and all in the description.

http://youtu.be/UI2eyQv8y5A

Last edited:
Nice video, thanks. It was very educational to watch your technique of setting up a sample in your DAW and systematically shaping it.

Great video. Very informative. Can you describe your set up in more detail with Logic Pro and the AXE. Ive been trying to to figure out how to reamp for weeks with it and cant seem to make it work properly.

Yeah I'd like to know about your cable routing and I/O sends in Logic X. Do you have a way to have a visual representation of the IR's that you're blending? Its the only thing missing from CabLab IMO.

Great video btw, subscribed.

PS, Your little girl is adorable. you must be very proud. They don't stay like that unfortunately. My twin sons are 26 months and are driving me crazy, now that they can run. They're like little weapons of mass destruction with angelic faces. Makes discipline very difficult, when your hearts breaks at every tear that they shed.

Yeah I'd like to know about your cable routing and I/O sends in Logic X. Do you have a way to have a visual representation of the IR's that you're blending? Its the only thing missing from CabLab IMO.

Great video btw, subscribed.

PS, Your little girl is adorable. you must be very proud. They don't stay like that unfortunately. My twin sons are 26 months and are driving me crazy, now that they can run. They're like little weapons of mass destruction with angelic faces. Makes discipline very difficult, when your hearts breaks at every tear that they shed.

Thanks! I always dig seeing other people’s methods so I figured people might like seeing mine as well 

This actually helped me too because in order to keep the video relatively short, I had to set up a step-by-step, screen-by-screen, systematic approach that helped me break down my own tweaking methods, haha. 

Routing:
I set up all DI tracks to mono output that I have routed to my patchbay which is hardwired to my RME outputs. I then send that to the rear input on the Axe. The Axe output also goes straight to my patchbay which is hardwired into my RME inputs. I then arm the input in Logic to which the Axe is routed. I simply mute and unmute the DI tracks so I can work in real time.

Not entirely sure I know what you mean by a visual representation of the IRs. Can you elaborate?

And thanks.. she is still a sweety pie even though she is almost 4 now, haha. She certainly has her days tho.

1zn23i8.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Great video, of course, Eric. I'm going to be futzing with transformer drive like it was a decepticon strip poker party! YEAH BABY!!!!1!!!

That said, who the hell is that dork, "No-whack" - sharing cabs with names like that. God I bet he got wedgies all throughout high school.

Outstanding tutorial. I asked you a few questions on the video page. Let me know if you'd rather answer them here and I'll repost them here.

Back
Top Bottom