My Friedman ASM-12 Review

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'm sold on trying the Friedman first. It seems they are liked by many and it's cheaper than the CLR's so if it sounds good I will be happy. If I'm not satisfied, then I'll have to try the CLR.

the whole idea of the ASM is that it is a more cab like vibe for a FRFR speaker. By it's nature it's not going to be as "flat" as other speakers. Some people want absolutely accuracy, some want a more cab like vibe. I love my CLR, but I'd love to A/B with an ASM just to see what it sounds like. It's truly up to the player what they want/need more, and as such there is no better...just what works most for the individual.

I have a CLR with Amplifire and will have an AX-8 soon. I've been wondering about this Cab. The CLR sounds great, but there seems to be something, small that I find missing. I'm not liking something subtle in the bass register of the thing. I have a very fussy and sensitive ear. I went with the CLR as I figured it was the best thing to buy. I don't like questioning my decisions, so I usually try to buy the best thing there is the first time. Then, if I don't like it, at least I know there's nothing else better to try.

With the CLR, I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that the Tweeter is in front or part of the Woofer. I don't know the technical terminology of this type of setup. I wish you could A/B this sh*t in person. I wish Guitar center actually sold gear that people want instead of being cheap SOB's, worry about overhead and catering to the noob crowd. Anyhow, I might order one of these from Sweetwater and change eating the return shipping if I don't like it.

I'll be receiving my ASM-12 today. Right now I'm playing through an Alto TS-12, which sounds really nice with clean stuff, but sounds stuffy and congested with med to high gain stuff IMHO. I've never heard a CLR so I wouldn't be able to compare, but I will chime in once I spend some time with the Friedman.

The ASM-12 is not coaxial, correct? Just curious how the dispersion compares to the CLR.

The ASM-12 is not coaxial, correct? Just curious how the dispersion compares to the CLR.
Pretty sure the ASM is a traditional 2 way design. Specs call out a 75* conical coverage compared to the CLR's 90*, definitely going to have a tighter pattern. Could be a good thing if your in tight quarters monitoring on stage, not so great if you need it as a back line or side fill.

I'll be receiving my ASM-12 today. Right now I'm playing through an Alto TS-12, which sounds really nice with clean stuff, but sounds stuffy and congested with med to high gain stuff IMHO. I've never heard a CLR so I wouldn't be able to compare, but I will chime in once I spend some time with the Friedman.
Ordered mine today, are you liking yours?

I posted this on another thread but I was so excited that my Friedman's came early! They sound really good but aren't as loud as my tube rig or my QSC k12's just so you know.

Attachments

• IMG_20151219_115228708 (4).jpg
    IMG_20151219_115228708 (4).jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 139
I posted this on another thread but I was so excited that my Friedman's came early! They sound really good but aren't as loud as my tube rig or my QSC k12's just so you know.

Lol ,but 4 speakers in a wedge VS 16 speakers in closed back cabs I am not surprised that they may more a lil less air
damn that Krank setup is massive

Whoever out of you lot, that gets 2x ASMs is an absolute weapon!! I've heard two of those in one room, and let me tell you, Wembley Stadium lookout!!

As a Fractal newbie still waiting for my AX8 invite, I was curious to know if one ASM cuts it in a jam session on its own or if it needs to be mic'd up. My original plan was to run it through the FX loop in my Marshall TSL 100 and 4x12 1936a cab, but I am being slowly dragged to the dark side by others in the forum :).

As a Fractal newbie still waiting for my AX8 invite, I was curious to know if one ASM cuts it in a jam session on its own or if it needs to be mic'd up. My original plan was to run it through the FX loop in my Marshall TSL 100 and 4x12 1936a cab, but I am being slowly dragged to the dark side by others in the forum :).

Let me put your mind at ease man.. I've got the ASM, and it easily keeps up with my other guitarist's 100w JCM900. It's plenty loud, plenty of punch and thump, and cuts through no worries. However, make sure your patches are dialed in accordingly..

MY SUGGESTION based on my experience with the another guitarist in a covers band... Given the ASM is a FRFR wedge, I really dialed out a lot of the typical FRFR hi-fi/top end that FRFR is renown for. It's not a bad thing; the reality is, if you wanna be heard and stand out in the mix and not get lost, and, if you don't want it to pierce your ear drums as well as the rest of the band, definitely dial OUT some of the hi's and try and make it get closer in sound to a normal tube amp. That's the amazing thing about the ASM - you can go FRFR all the way, and you can also bring that back a bit and make it more 'real amp like'. Amazingly, my go-to patch for 80% of ALL my Axe FX playing (in band environment) is the Dirty Shirley.

Hope this helps..

I have a CLR with Amplifire and will have an AX-8 soon. I've been wondering about this Cab. The CLR sounds great, but there seems to be something, small that I find missing. I'm not liking something subtle in the bass register of the thing. I have a very fussy and sensitive ear. I went with the CLR as I figured it was the best thing to buy. I don't like questioning my decisions, so I usually try to buy the best thing there is the first time. Then, if I don't like it, at least I know there's nothing else better to try.

With the CLR, I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that the Tweeter is in front or part of the Woofer. I don't know the technical terminology of this type of setup. I wish you could A/B this sh*t in person. I wish Guitar center actually sold gear that people want instead of being cheap SOB's, worry about overhead and catering to the noob crowd. Anyhow, I might order one of these from Sweetwater and change eating the return shipping if I don't like it.

If it's any consolation to you I had the chance to try my Axe FX II against an Atomic Amplifier / CLR combo and I can assure you if you build your presets on the CLR you will hear everything. Whatever is bothering you in the low end you should be able to dial it out.

I was actually surprised at how good the Amplifier sounded! and in a pinch I would have no qualms using it. Aside from another Axe FX or Ax8 this would be a great sub 1K backup rig.

Back
Top Bottom