My first tonematch attempt

Bix

So I just bought an axe fx II last week after selling my standard in 2011. Let's just say I'm really impressed!

So today, I spent the day tone matching acoustics for use with my Taylor 300. I have a small project studio and really struggle to get good recordings with my Taylor. I've got decent equipment, but the Taylor just doesn't record very well, so I was hoping to get something that would be useful and pretty authentic. I tried a Zac Brown recording of acoustic that I think is really good, a tone match of my acoustic and then searched the web for some good sources. I remembered Michael Joly having some samples of Neumann's that he then compared to his modded mics. I grabbed a U67 and a U87 acoustic sample and used these to tone match. The U87 sounds pretty good on its own, but when matched with the U67 and eq'd a little, I got a really usable acoustic tone that I think is better than the efforts I've made trying to get good live recordings of this guitar. After adding a little more sweetner, chorus, enhancer, multitap delay and reverb, it's just gorgeous. Really happy with the result.

I thought others might benefit from Joly's samples as they are really well recorded dry acoustic samples.

Bix

I don't have the tone match but I do have the .syx export. I'm not sure how to export them, but I'll try to figure it out and post it.

So here's the .syx cab files I created from TMA export function. I really liked the result of using two high res cab blocks of U67 and U87. Of course, the TMA was done with my Taylor 300 with all tone controls set in the middle of the slider. Your results may not be the same. BTW, this is a 2000 Taylor, so the old design of UST.

Hope they work out for you.
Mike

Attachments

• U67.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 15
  • U87.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 11
  • SCHOEPS.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 12
  • JOLY.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 11
Back