My First Strat

I am a bit envious you found a good one, as I love Strats but ever found one with all the correct attributes for me. I like a skinny v neck, and a rosewood fingerboard, a 12 inch radius, a 2 point modern trem block with vintage rolled steel saddles. Colour wise it would be sonic blue, with aged knobs, and a mint green scratch plate. Also locking machine heads. At present, Fender don't do a model with all those options. Shame.....

I've never bought a Fender until today, I got my 6 year old Grandson a 3/4 Fender MA-1 acoustic and what a lovely little guitar it is, so I still don't own a Fender.

I am a bit envious you found a good one, as I love Strats but ever found one with all the correct attributes for me. I like a skinny v neck, and a rosewood fingerboard, a 12 inch radius, a 2 point modern trem block with vintage rolled steel saddles. Colour wise it would be sonic blue, with aged knobs, and a mint green scratch plate. Also locking machine heads. At present, Fender don't do a model with all those options. Shame.....
Sounds like a build it yourself job .... I'm on a waiting list to get a new 14 inch radius soft v neck made for mine (deluxe, pre compound neck radius model). Like em or loath em, the strat is real easy to customise (and return to original afterwards).

Well at least you're on the road to building up the parts for your own ...... two more aged knobs and you'll have the set! har har ;)

Nice!!
What are you going for?

John

HB's with a slim neck, like the 60's Gibson studio, except you have to get the Deluxe to get a rosewood fingerboard. 10" to12" radius-prefer 10" I have been looking at the EBMM also. I think I would be happy with the Gibson LP studio deluxe-coil split, rosewood and some type of mid boost electronics than can be completely bypassed with a switch-thiss is the deluxe II

BTW John, I really like Strats now so my comment above that I hated that Strat was moons ago and NOT meant to lessen your GAS. You have a great piece of Axe there!
C:\Users\JOHNM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
No worries I did not take it the wrong way and I appreciate you and everyone else that has chimed in to congratulate me. And like I said as much as I am really digging my new Strat I am still a Les Paul guy at heart.
I love Strats. You can't go wrong with an American Standard. Is it one of the new ones with the Fat 50s pickups?
Hey Ben, this one came loaded with Fender Custom Shop pickups, whatever that entails; I am so illiterate when it comes to the finer points of Fenders. (I do love the sound of these pickups.) But I will be learning! This is just the first of my future Fender collection almost three weeks later and I just keep liking this guitar more and more every day.

Funny thing I now surprised I never got into Strat’s especially during the eighties I use to change pickups like a fiend at that time. Strat’s would have been ideal have a second pickgaurd prepared three connections –DONE. OH S*** some old GAS is getting refueled typing about this.

Hey 6L6C, very nice Strat, especially the finish. My experience with Strats and GC are almost the same! I have a '93 Strat Plus that I bought used for $500 in '96. I loved it at the time, being my first Strat, or Fender for that matter. But it never felt right. So it always sat in the back while I used my Ibanez's and LP. Then this year I was checking out different electrics for fun and by accident, I fell in love with the Fender Stratocaster in all its' original glory. After torturing myself with YT videos, especially the ones where rock stars are praising the Strat, I decided I needed to get one. For me, I was going for it's original design, flaws and all. So I bought a 2013 MIJ '54 Reissue. What I found out was the soft V neck and 7.25" radius is perfect for my left hand. I realized this is what I have been missing for over 30 years. Yes, it does fret out on big bends, the trem may not stay perfectly in tune. But it's not that bad either. I want to keep this one stock, and maybe get one to upgrade. With the Axe II, it's stock pickups sound amazing on many different amp types, drives, etc. I have gigged with it since July and it holds up. I couldn't help but think of how Leo Fender got it right the first time out. Congrats!!

mnwst
Merlin
Sted

You guys are a little late to the party, but thank you very much!

Been a few months now with the Strat so I guess you can say the honeymoon phase is over.
Feels more like mine not something totally new.

That being said, I LOVE it more.

John

I am sort of in the same boat - maybe more 'extreme' in a way: I've ALWAYS played single coils. Always preferred their sound to HBs. But I mostly played Danelectros, and a few custom guitars I had built, mostly out of Danelectro parts. I liked the more 'Gibson' scale length, and I loved the Danny sound (still do). I never had a Strat until about 3 years ago, when I got an odd one for a steal: a 'Factory Special Run' one - an oddity without a pick guard and a side-routed cable jack. At first I hated the scale length, but now it's my main guitar! So versatile (even more so since I put Zexcoils on it, including a split-coil 'humbucker', plus a push-push pot to turn on the 'Robbie Robertson' mod - which, when engaged, turns the bridge pickup on whenever the neck pickup is on - instant Tele option!), so chime-y! Love my Strat!

Last edited:
I think every guitarist needs a good Strat in their collection, no matter they style they specialize in.

I personally like the feel of a 7.25-9.5 radius with a nice nitro finish.

There are so many different types of Strats out there that there's something for everyone. They're like dogs.

Back
Top Bottom