My first gig with the Axe FX II

swervedriver

Inspired
So last Friday was the day. Played a 30-minute set with the band in anticipation of our album release (we play a blend of prog rock/metal/grunge, influenced by stuff like Soundgarden, Metallica, Rush, also a bit of Beethoven), and the first time live I've relied on the Axe since I bought it. I got the Axe about 6 months ago, spent the previous month and a half dialing in my V10 presets during and in between rehearsals, and finally got test them out in the real world.

Line-check was the easiest ever, soundguy was surprised (and quite happy) to receive only one direct XLR input and no further mic-ing hassles. Had my Atomic Reactor on-stage as my personal monitor and facing across the stage so the rest of the band would hear me playing as well. Brilliant sound, no worries about cutting through or any of that during playing, except to stomp on the right preset buttons. :) Preset volumes were also no problem as I had dialed those in at proper volume during rehearsals. Very happy about the ease-of-use in a live context of this unit, especially combined with the MFC. It requires preparation beforehand, tweaking the sound and volumes and organizing the presets and whatnot, but once that's figured out it's such a blast to simply get out there and play your ass off!

It's a shame I was battling a fever during the gig or I'd have enjoyed it even more. Oh well, next month is the actual album release, which should be totally disease-free. :p

Thanks for the kind words. :) Looking very much forward to the show next month, which for the first time ever will also include synchronized visuals and light effects. I'm hoping that'll go well.

In the meantime I find myself wishing I had the Axe last year when we recorded the album we're about to release, but fortunately I've had very little trouble recreating the tones and the various effects with this box. So, bringing the new music live is no problem (barring guitar player failure :D ).

Soundmen love it when I roll up with a 4 space gator rack and my own personal stage monitors. Plug in, flat FOH EQ, sound check, 2 minutes its done. Having a beer......

Steve

So last Friday was the day. Played a 30-minute set with the band in anticipation of our album release (we play a blend of prog rock/metal/grunge, influenced by stuff like Soundgarden, Metallica, Rush, also a bit of Beethoven), and the first time live I've relied on the Axe since I bought it. I got the Axe about 6 months ago, spent the previous month and a half dialing in my V10 presets during and in between rehearsals, and finally got test them out in the real world.

Line-check was the easiest ever, soundguy was surprised (and quite happy) to receive only one direct XLR input and no further mic-ing hassles. Had my Atomic Reactor on-stage as my personal monitor and facing across the stage so the rest of the band would hear me playing as well. Brilliant sound, no worries about cutting through or any of that during playing, except to stomp on the right preset buttons. :) Preset volumes were also no problem as I had dialed those in at proper volume during rehearsals. Very happy about the ease-of-use in a live context of this unit, especially combined with the MFC. It requires preparation beforehand, tweaking the sound and volumes and organizing the presets and whatnot, but once that's figured out it's such a blast to simply get out there and play your ass off!

It's a shame I was battling a fever during the gig or I'd have enjoyed it even more. Oh well, next month is the actual album release, which should be totally disease-free. :p

Back
Top Bottom