My first FAS product - FM9T - coming from Helix.

I'm really having a hard time deciding on If I should get a Fractal Audio FM9 unit. I just got notified of few days ago from being on the waiting list for over a year. I have a line 6 Helix Floor unit and also have a Fractal Audio AX8 unit. The AX8 unit does sound amazing, but I'm more of a on the fly guy and don't use the computer much to do editing. That may change. I'm asking all the people out there who have tried a line 6 helix and eventually converted over to the Fractal Audio FM9 unit. I'm trying to get opinions from different sites. However, I feel that there are plenty line Helix users that have converted over to the Fractal Audio FM9 unit on this site. Your thoughts please?
I had a helix floor here for a few months and still have the plugin. Those 2 units serve. Nothing wrong with them. But in comparison, my AX8 sounded better and served my needs better and the FM9, light years better for me. If I had to rebuy a modeler/profiler today, it would be the FM9 again.

I used a Helix for more than 2 years. All I did was tweaking and more tweaking. Never really happy with the sound.

Now with the FM9 it all changed. Great tone, and great feel without endless tweaking!
Love Fractal!! 😍

I received my FM9 Turbo unit a week before Christmas. Well I opened it up Christmas Day and listened to some of the factory presets. Wow, they sound pretty good for right out of the box. I was not liking the layout. Today I watched G66 YouTube videos on FM9 Turbo Startup Tips, and Do This First On Your FM9! Wow I really like the setup now!!! This thing dives deep in all kind of things. From custom layout to audio preferences and all in between. Now need to get Leon Todd's videos and other videos to explore the many possibilities. Man It maybe months before I even scratch the surface. I don't miss my Helix now!!! This unit is incredible. :p I wonder if I could use my Boss FS-5U switches like you can on the FM3? There is a video on this setup for the FM3.

Last edited:
I was bouncing back and forth between the AX8 and the line 6 Helix floor unit. I got my notification from a waiting list over a year back in early December. I pulled the trigger and received my FM 9 about a week before Christmas. I waited patiently and opened it Christmas Day. From day one all I can say is wow!!! Preset sound really good out of the box. I found some videos on g66 with Carter and he really had this layout that I really like. I think it was layout 2 of the oh my omgf9. On the top row Scenes, effects, and presets. The bottom row was 4 scenes, a more scenes, and a tap tempo. In one of the Carter's videos he showed how you can set the layout to go back to layout to after you press one of the scenes. I hope that makes sense but I am just so impressed with this unit that I sold my line Helix floor unit, and I just sold my AX8 unit. This is the best guitar effect processor to date that I've owned. I'm so glad I pulled the trigger. 😎

hello. I have both and my honest opinion is this: in forums it seems that the difference is abysmal but when listening to it it doesn't seem so much. FM9 has better amp simulations however it also seems to have a boost in the lower mids, I have compensated these frequencies in the Helix with the global eq and it managed to get very close to the sound of the FM9, in terms of the cabinets, Helix improved a lot in the 3.5 update and is now at fractal level, I no longer use my IRs (ownhammer) and it has a much better cab browser than the endless list of FM9 IRs. Additionally, I prefer the delays on Helix, the reverbs are very similar (the "lexicon" revers of Helix are very good) and the modulations (chorus, flanger and more) are better in FM9. If I had to choose which one to buy I would say the FM9 because it has more possibilities for improvement and Helix is at the end of its life cycle. I have not sold my Helix due to the inability to buy a backup (fractal does not allow to buy a second unit). At this moment I have 1700 that are burning my pocket, I want to sell my Helix because I think it will be replaced in Namm 2023 and given the impossibility of buying an FM9, I may decide to try a quad cortex.
IMG_20221006_133159.jpg

Last edited:
I've never used any Kemper other than plugging in to track a lead after someone picked a tone, curious about the general usability on the fly,

The Helix has an incredible workflow. You only need HX Edit to move blocks between paths 1 and 2, other than that I found it really intuitive and REALLY fast to build/change/save/use, and favourites (block library) don't require a computer. The fact that any parameters in any block can be controlled by scenes or footswitches is amazing, and scene changes were completely gapless for me.

After spending a few weeks forcing myself to do things on the FM9 hardware instead of FM9-Edit, I'm a lot more familiar with where most functions are, but you can't copy/paste a channel which would be useful. The desktop editor is definitely faster for complex editing but if you know what you're looking for you can do many things on the hardware. The layouts being infinitely customizable is far more useful (and fun) than I realized at first!

Bottom line IMO - I loved my Helix for over 2 full years and it has the edge on standalone usability, but Fractal is superior in tone, feel, and overall personalization. Especially once you learn your way around the unit and use a desktop for complex editing, the FM9 wins
I have a Helix Floor, Native, Pod go Wireless, and FM9.. I use them for different situations, Pod go for sitting in, Native only on computer (logic/ProTools) fractal for Some gigs (know set).. Helix for others (when un-known set) .. the fractal is a little smaller than Helix, but almost as heavy when with added expression pedals..
They are both good units.. it just depends on use and need….They both have good support and software …. Helix has a better GUI.. fractal allows deeper editing ..
I am not going to say one is better than the other, they are both excellent.. so try both and see which one works for you , maybe one , maybe both other than dogs and Mice your audience won’t know which device you are using and most would care less….

Only in FM9 edit. There is no such functionality on the hardware itself.
You definitely can copy channels and scenes on the front panel of the Axe III, I do it all the time.
I don't have any other FAS modelers to try, but I'd be surprised if that functionality doesn't exist in them all.

Far as I know, you can't copy whole blocks from the front panel like you can in AxeEdit, presumably because there's no clipboard.

Having used the Helix over 2 years I have really enjoyed it but I do confess that i have to work hard to get the tones I want IE: a lot of EQ'ing, complex routings and such
at first my goal was to keep the Helix and add an FM3, but I recently changed my mind so I'm going to sell my Helix get a FM9 and a EV-1

1st post to this forum, also a long time Helix user (7yrs+) of which, I am a big fan of. So I finally got an invite to order the FM9T and pulled the trigger today, hence joining this forum for more info and support.

Oh yea, forgot to say.. really glad you’re happy with the new unit, makes me hopeful there will be justification for the $1850 and wait time!

1st post to this forum, also a long time Helix user (7yrs+) of which, I am a big fan of. So I finally got an invite to order the FM9T and pulled the trigger today, hence joining this forum for more info and support.
Welcome!

I think you will be very happy with this decision. I’ve worked with a Helix and have an FM9. Helix is fine, but Fractal modeling and block flexibility to get the tones you’re after is next level. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom