My first big influence in music. What's yours?

protocosm

Inspired
Herman Brood was my first big influence in music. My uncle gave me the record 'Cha Cha' wich absolutely floored me. He was absolutely great live. He and his band The Wild Romance were touring europe like a perfect rock & roll train. His biggest hit was of course Saturday Night. He is in my opinion the only real rock & roll artist ever from Holland.

Most of you probably know the Golden Earring with Radar Love or Venus from Shocking Blue, Armin van Buuren or DJ Tiesto, also from Holland, but Herman was something else.

He was also a wonderful creative artist and painter. If you google his name you'll find a lot of his paintings and drawings.

I've transcribed a great rock 'n roll tune he made at the peak of his career in the late '70 early '80
called NEVER BE CLEVER.

Poolguitarblog: HERMAN BROOD NEVER BE CLEVER

Check out this rock 'n roll genius.

'First' is hard to say. My dad, a folksinger who played with Woodie Guthrie and the like before I was born was an 'influence', I guess. My first memorable connection to music was a vinyl record called 'a child's introduction to the orchestra'. My mother loved the Brahms Clarinet Quintet in B minor, and it became a great favorite of mine (still is). The beatles were a big influence in grade school - but I didn't play guitar until college. I went to college very young (15) and musically ignorant. That was 1975. Sitting in form rooms I was introduced to Jeff beck's Blow by Blow, Band of Gypsies, most of the Who and Kinks ouvre, King Crimson, Eno, Santana (Caravanserai, which I thinkI actually discovered before college on my own is still a knock-out album, and to my taste, the very best he ever did). I remember listening to some local radio station and hearing 'Eruption' and being blown away - but I quickly became disenchanted with fretboard gymnastics (Satch, Vai et al have never really interested me - I am mostly a 'less is more', 'music lives between the notes' kinda guy).

But the most seminal influence of all took place at age 16, when someone heard my sick sense of humor, ran out, ran back with Frank Zappa's Roxy and Elsewhere, to play me the song 'Penguin in Bondage'. Yes, it was funny as hell. And I listened to that side of the two-record set for a long time, oddly incurious about the rest.

Then one day I played the entire four sides. OMFG! What a band! Tight as a James Brown band, but somehow loose and swingy too. Incredible musicianship, incredible mix of rock, blues, jazz, modern classical and what I can only call 'cartoon music' (oh! early Text Avery et. al - those cartoons musically influenced me too!). Zappa's guitar playing is incredible, and it sounds like no one else on earth - which is high praise in my book, as I admire originality over raw technique any day - though he had technique up the (grand) wazoo too. The portion of the record with 'Echidna's Arf' and 'Don't you ever wash that Thing' was INCREDIBLE! Just went from my ear into direct brain overstimulation.

Then, about a year later, I bought his album 'One Size Fits All'. The guitar solo on Inca Roads (a live solo from Helsinki masterfully edited into the studio track) was (is) one of the most amazing solos I've ever heard. It goes through distinct 'moods' from pensive to celebratory, from a sort of angry righteous indignation to a kind of soaring victory. It also features his 'bulgarian bagpipe sound' - produced somehow by pressing the pick into the strings - I dunno, I still can't do it. But listened to that solo every day for three years. I never learned it - I was barely playing guitar then, and truth be told, I hate learning other people's solos, though I admit that if I had the patience, I'd learn a lot. But I listened to it, over and over and over. Every morning, it started my day.

There were (are) many, many more, from the Edge (I was treading similar ground on guitar in the late 70's), to oh, Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs (simple, simple, simple, keep it simple yes!) to Leo Kottke and some of his antecedents, Townshend's power cords (Christ were they LOUD back in the 70's), the Clash's melting tower of Marshall sound at the Palladium the night they recorded some of London Calling (even louder than the Who!), Julian Bream, John Lee. Otis Rush. Several of the guitarists who played with Zappa and also with Beefheart. Oh tons.

And then there were the 'anti-influences': SRV, who though called 'the real thing' rarely played anything other than the same damn licks (Albert's) over and over ('Lenny' is a notable, beautiful exception) - there are SO many better blues players, Black, White and brown and Yellow, I have no idea why he got so big, EVH's overkill, Vai (he left Zappa for this crap? Oy vey.), all of the self-indulgent, mile-a-minute stuff that I can't even tell apart after awhile - as if the goal of music is to fill every possible space and silence with zillions of notes (I've seen this in classical pianists too, and am equally nonplussed). All of this 'sound and fury signifying nothing' pushed me farther afield into more experimental music and less rock and roll.

First influence was my Mom's stack of single sided '78s :ugeek.

I especially remember digging the boogie-woogie piano ones.

First guitar influence besides King Elvis on Ed Sullivan, was Mr Fred Lincoln Wray Jr.

I was lucky enough to see Link & The Wraymen in the basement of a church in Annandale Va when JFK was still US President...
as well as a few times in the late 90s when he was touring again.

I'm fairly certain that he had the red guitar he's playing in the secong video when I first saw him...

Hm. I remember being blown away by Mingus' Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting at about 4. The final scenes of Mozart's Don Giovanni and Berlioz' Damnation Of Faust (This STILL gives me goosebumps). La Boheme and all that. My mother loved opera. Oscar Petersons "Sound Of The Trio, when I was about 9, was on the turntable almost every day for a year or two. That record is impressed upon every cell and fiber of my being!

Hendrix hit me hard. Axis Bold As Love, Machine Gun, just floored me. That's when I decided to play the guitar. Coltrane's Chim Chim Chere was another one. Chick Corea's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs record. A bunch of random work from Krystof Penderrecki. Dexter Gordon, hard bop period Coltrane, Bright Sized Life form Metheny.

Not many guitar players.

That, in a nutshell, about sums it up!

Last edited:
Oh Henry: listen to the Inca Roads solo. Not Jazz, of course, but man is he THINKING while he plays! So out-of-the-box of rock it ain't funny!

P.S. Hora Decubitous is one of my absolute favorite pieces ever! Up there with criss-cross.

Di you know Mingus' stepson? What was his name? Roberto I think. I went to school with him.

The Funk Brothers at Motown. I was probably too young in the mid-sixites to understand why, but that was the first music that really moved me. That feeling still motivates and inspires me to this day although it isn't, maybe, as specific as some others later in my years playing. It's the first musical inspiration I can clearly recall.

Oh Henry: listen to the Inca Roads solo. Not Jazz, of course, but man is he THINKING while he plays! So out-of-the-box of rock it ain't funny!

P.S. Hora Decubitous is one of my absolute favorite pieces ever! Up there with criss-cross.

Di you know Mingus' stepson? What was his name? Roberto I think. I went to school with him.
Roberto??!!! Wow! Yeah I know him. Well I KNEW him pretty well way back before you knew him in college. I lived with the family back then. Small world.

Yes, of course I know INca Roads. I want to hear it again! I loved that record, though Inca Roads was the only song that flipped me out on that record. I also dug Be Bop Tango from Live at the Roxy. Hot Rats, , Live at the Fillmore record. I saw them on that tour.

I knew Roberto from St. Ann's, actually, before college. God I wish I'd seenthat tour! My first was... 1978 I think. I hitchiked down from college and watched as many shows at the palladium as I could. Be Bop, Hot Rats, Echidna's Arf all great. Did you ever listen to the Yellow Shark album? Some nice stuff there too. Ruth is sleeping (which I saw performed, if memory serves, by a Blind Dutch pianist at Alice Tully Hall) is another favorite.

Yellow Shark? No, unless it/s the modern ensemble that plays the music of Zappa. I think I have a multiple CD set of theirs doing music written and directed m=by the man himself. I think it's called Yellow Shark. I have t catch up on my Zappa!

I'm pretty sure I knew Roberto before he went off to college. About '77.

Gee, maybe we met back in the day.

Hey, did you know Bebop sax player Frank Morgan? He was a friend of the family and lived at my house in Cobble Hill for awhile.

Gee, maybe we met back in the day.

Hey, did you know Bebop sax player Frank Morgan? He was a friend of the family and lived at my house in Cobble Hill for awhile.
No, I never knew Frank Morgan. He made a huge come back in the 80s when he got out of jail and kicked the habit.

My mom! She played a little piano and Van Cliburn's "My Favorite Chopin" was blasting almost daily. She and my aunts also loved Motown (Funk Bros) and it was played endlessly. My father was old school twang country (hated it) but loved Elvis and the rock and roll originals. My grandfather! He loved jazzy stuff and idolized The Mills Brothers and the big band era. So I would have to say my biggest influence was my family because they made me realize there is so much more to music than one genre or the top 10 hits of the day.

Then 65 hit and I went to my first concert at 9 years old. The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl! The Kinks were huge for me then and great in concert. The Stones were bigger than life and there was a big Beatles vs. the Stones clique thing going on at school. I liked both and was considered a heretic by both camps! :shock

Then the late 60’s and early 70’s came blasting in. Otis Redding and his backup band Booker T and the MG’s hit me hard. Oh that Memphis sound was it! The Who! And as someone previously noted, wow were they loud. Your ears literally rang for days after seeing them. I wore out Live at Leeds to my father’s chagrin. No wonder Pete is deaf. Grand Funk was a huge sound and my power trio fave. Then I heard this blues based band with a flute player. Are you kidding me? I was just amazed at the ever evolving musicianship from Ian Anderson and the boys. The Moody Blues were huge in our circle of friends as well as Be Bop Deluxe and many of the poorly labeled IMO progressive bands. The curse of being labeled :-x

And this new band at Woodstock threw me for a loop. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Wow! What beautiful harmonies and acoustic stuff. Neil Young is by far my favorite guitarist. He is not the most proficient or technically accurate. He’s no shredder but he plays with heart and soul and blazed his own path regardless of record label pressures. I love that in a musician. I personally think, and no doubt will get flamed for this, that EVH was as much a bad influence as an innovator in that so many kids just felt that the faster you were on the fret board the better music you created. Don’t get me wrong though. Love me some Van Halen in the early years and even saw them in back yards before the explosion. I’m just not a big fan of the speed demons. Frank and the Mothers! No need to expand here. Just amazing!

The list goes on and on. I do though find myself looking back and re-appreciating the Blues and Jazz influences and more obscure bands. This last week I purchased a CD of an old vinyl I have from the 70’s acoustic duo Batdorf and Rodney titled “Off the Shelf”. Loving it! Highly recommend it for those who have never heard them and you like acoustic guitars and harmonies.

Stop me! There are just TOO MANY! I love it all!!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom