My first AxeFX Recording, honest feedback please.

tomc3084

Experienced
I finally got Ableton 9 and my Axe FX II hooked up properly so I could record some tidbits. This is my first recording with the Axe FX II. I recorded in the first and only take, so there are a few mistakes. I don't claim to be a great guitarist, but I would love some honest feedback on my playing and tone. Amp model is the Bogner Shiva. Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-collins/tuesday-jam

Tone is great and it comes through that you are having fun.
Don't mind the few mistakes.

Time to record a second one!

Nice tone, and some tasty licks there. Just make sure you watch your bends as quite a few of them are out of tune. Also with a jam that is that long you may want to consider trying to incorporate melodies or repeating themes into what you're doing to keep things interesting.

Nice tones as others have said but you have to get those bends right. If you can't push the string hard enough then slide up to the note instead, also add some vibrato to your bend and than can sometimes mask a sloppy bend, maybe your string gauge is too high ? 9's are a good compromise.

same as what the other guys have said - although to my ear the tone seems abrupt - compressed, no delay, no reverb or something. I'm not an expert when it comes to that - but for the lead tone, I'd lean towards something that breathes a little more. Something that doesn't have the notes dying so quickly. Thanks for sharing.

same as what the other guys have said - although to my ear the tone seems abrupt - compressed, no delay, no reverb or something. I'm not an expert when it comes to that - but for the lead tone, I'd lean towards something that breathes a little more. Something that doesn't have the notes dying so quickly. Thanks for sharing.

That's weird you say it sounded abrupt because there were times in that song when I turned on my sustainiac pickup. All this is very helpful to me though. I know what I need to work on for sure. Back to the drawing board!

That's weird you say it sounded abrupt because there were times in that song when I turned on my sustainiac pickup. All this is very helpful to me though. I know what I need to work on for sure. Back to the drawing board!

But once you let go of the note, it stops. That's why I was mentioning delay/echo/reverb. Something to give the sound a little space so it doesn't sound like it's in a phone booth. Now - again - that's *my* preference :) There are lots of folks that don't dig that sound :D

It ain't the drawing board bro..it is the woodshed.. just practice is all..and don't be worried by a few bends..I think it was great!

The guitar playing is cool, the tone is a Bogner that sounds nice. The recording of the guitar tho somehow doesn't sit in the mix like I think it should.

The drums are so prominent and present (they sound great) it seems as if the guitar is playing behind a wool blanket. I'd like to hear it clearer, sit better and takes it's seat at the head of the table.

That's my honest feedback.

Back
Top Bottom