My First Axe-Fx Weekend! Can't believe it's finally happening! (formerly 'Ordered today...')

I've battled my way across the first ~50 presets now, and though I'm ultra tired because of how the last 2 days went, I sure as hell won't stop.
One thing to note about the factory presets…

Many blocks are inactive on different scenes. A Drive block in a Recto preset for example. When browsing through them, make sure drop into the grid and enable various blocks. You may find that a high gain tone is “flubby” without the drive block enabled.

Oh, yeah. I noticed that while watching AxeEdit react to changes via the front panel, if you use both you can have an overview on your TV/monitor and the preset/scene list or other stuff on the Axe display... the front panel stuff is really quite intuitive and well done; I'm still more drawn to mouse/kb (old habits and dying hard and so on...) but with more practice it should become quite... well, practicable. :)

The EV-1 feels really good as well, wah-ing around like back in the day (well, not quite, I'm out of practice!). I used a Roland FC-300 as ersatz pedal board for Amplitube, but setting sh*t up and swapping pedals around would mean redoing all the midi-learn stuff... it really put a damper on wanting to use any midi controllers with AT (and there's a crippling bug that they had to acknowledge, but still haven't fixed).

The FC I yet have to get into, but it already looks like the basics will be easy to learn, well and then I'll grow from there!

Thanks for all your helpful tips and messages of encouragement, people, and I'm sure I'm gonna have some questions once I start doing my own tones/presets! I'm loving it!

Hot Tip (if not already shared): Use the front panel as much as possible at first to get it in your bones. AE makes it super easy to avoid learning how to get things done on the hardware, but sounds like you're on it!
As someone going through “front panel newcomer” hours at jams (thank god for perform pages) i second this.

Now stay offline and explore the magic black box.

Hot Tip (if not already shared): Use the front panel as much as possible at first to get it in your bones. AE makes it super easy to avoid learning how to get things done on the hardware, but sounds like you're on it!

^^^ What he said!

I totally love well thought-out hardware controls, supplemented by a mature software ecosystem. But the hw controls are paramount, cause you just might not always be at your PC. :) During my forum-lurking time I deliberately sought out threads by newcomers asking for tips and guidance, 'cause I knew that's what I would end up asking as well. "Use the front panel!" is one of the tips I read the most often. so I'll sure adhere to that.

But I don't want to sound like I think I know everything already, it's all just the tips of a couple icebergs, so keep the tips on coming. But Budda's right: I'm logging out now and figure out making my first own preset. Cheers!

Edit: No puns were intended!

1 Axe-FX III (Mk II Turbo), 1 FC-12 and 2 EV-1s. :)

Picked up my guitar again ~2 years ago after a looooong "pause" (no, I gave up! :() Been using Amplitube 5 since then and am continually perplexed at the developments I missed, particularly the stuff I dreamed of 15 years ago that is suddenly both feasible and mature.

Then the saving-up and wishing-for and fawning-over and forum-lurking...

Should arrive friday or maybe monday, if all goes well... I can't believe it's actually happening now and my hands are shaking!

Well, off to work, were today I will no doubt be the most concentrated, effective and focussed worker they got... ;)

Welcome to the Fractal Community!

Time for some fun with the magic black box. Let’s get some awesome Tones kicking! 😉

Welcome and congratulations! You have made a very wise investment. I am a relatively new user as well (bought my first Axe Fx 14 months ago). It is so much fun to experiment with the unit that you will learn very quickly. One thing I can recommend is Cooper Carter’s Axe Fx Master Course: https://classes.coopercarter.com/axe-fx-iii-master-class-with-cooper-carter This course is one of the best ways for a new user to come up to speed even quicker. Have fun, happy music making!

Last edited:
I still remember when I first got the unit, I stayed on the first factory preset (68 Bassman) for well over an hour, couldn't believe how good it sounded. Especially how it reacted to the drive block.
Just after I logged out and went back to the Axe, I thought it would be best to go over the first 50 again, instead of pushing on too soon. Also, I was too tired for new stuff. And then I spent hours on the first preset. :)

My sleeping habits are pretty strange at the best of times, and I never know when to stop. So it was good just to take a break vape sumthin' and get some sleep a coffee and start diving into more front panel stuff after that... and then edit my audio routing software stuff... I did sleep a couple hours just now, but I don't think it was enough.

The front panel is just great. AxeEdit has been open all the while, but I've spent under 5 mins actively using it (binding my EV-1 to wah, and that was during initial testing and trying out). The navigation is intuitive and logical, things that are a bit more fuzzy are explained well, and simply grabbing and turning knobs just beats dragging a mouse around, at least for me, when it comes to using musical equipment.

The display quality helps a lot, too! ;) Also, the Roland Fantom that I've been using for 'bout 9 months has fantastic controls, as well.

Last edited:
Sore fingers okay. And a clear sign you're not online (no sore wrist / forearm).
Arms are fine, but I did have a cramp in my left index finger before going to bed, so I'm taking it easy on the playing for now and will just practice more front panel preset editing.

(He wrote while already definitely thinking about playing more...)

@CrimsonKing: FAS is treating me maaaaaahaaaaaaaaarvelously, thanks for asking! :)

I just can't make up my mind: To install the 25 beta or not to install the 25 beta - is that even a question?

And: which amp model would you pick out as a starting point for this?

Congrats and welcome.

The first day with the unit is inspiring as all hell. Let's face it, the AF3 is a pretty sizeable purchase (not to mention the addition of the foot controllers) which no significant other will ever understand. 😁

It's nice to boot it up, plug in and instantly realize you made the right decision.

There is a financial bright side though - I have not bought a single amp or piece of FX gear for over 2 years since the Fractal arrived.

The only gear I bought aside from strings is some York Audio IR packs.

A lot of the stock IRs are top notch, but the York packs really opened things up for me. Particularly the Friedman and Matchless packs.

It's nice to have everything you need in one portable unit. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom