My first Axe-fx recording

This is my first recording test with the Axe-fx. I used my headphones because i haven't a FRFR system (yet), and I guess this is the main reason why I'm not 100% satisfied, anyway I have a lot to learn so any suggestion will be appreciated.

Patches used:

Attachments

• 001 - Clean 1 - MG.syx
    2 KB · Views: 24
  • 002 - Lead 1 - MG.syx
    2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I think that sounds great. How are you connecting the axe for recording. I love how the axe sounds through my poweramp and cabs but I can't say the same about hearing it through monitors or in my DAW. I'm still struggling to get it worked out. But when I hear recordings like yours, I get inspired to try again.

Dave

I think that sounds great. How are you connecting the axe for recording. I love how the axe sounds through my poweramp and cabs but I can't say the same about hearing it through monitors or in my DAW. I'm still struggling to get it worked out. But when I hear recordings like yours, I get inspired to try again.

Dave

I also play through power amp and cab, so I connected the Axe to my adapter with SPDIF, I chose the cab that sounds better with my preset. I think that you need to fine tune your settings once you choose the cab and that is so better to put the ambient effects after the cab sim, but it was just a fast try. For the lead sound I delayed the right channel by 20ms in my DAW.

Thanks ;)

Nice! The clean and main lead sound really good. The brief initial lead could use a bit more presence, but you have done a great job for headphone mixing. Do you plan to pick up a pair of monitors?

Nice! The clean and main lead sound really good. The brief initial lead could use a bit more presence, but you have done a great job for headphone mixing. Do you plan to pick up a pair of monitors?

Yes you are right, thank you ;)

I'm planning to buy a pair of FBT Verve 8ma, i live in Recanati, 5 minutes from the FBT factory :D

I also play through power amp and cab, so I connected the Axe to my adapter with SPDIF, I chose the cab that sounds better with my preset. I think that you need to fine tune your settings once you choose the cab and that is so better to put the ambient effects after the cab sim, but it was just a fast try. For the lead sound I delayed the right channel by 20ms in my DAW.

Thanks ;)

What interface are you using? PC or mac?

Thanks.

Dave

A cheap Phonic Firefly 302 USB on PC.

That's amazing. I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and for the life of me, I can't get my direct patches to sound as good as my live ones. I even tried your lead patch and it sounded nothing like on your recording. I'm at a loss. The only thing I haven't tried is a different interface and different monitors.

That's amazing. I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and for the life of me, I can't get my direct patches to sound as good as my live ones. I even tried your lead patch and it sounded nothing like on your recording. I'm at a loss. The only thing I haven't tried is a different interface and different monitors.

What monitors are you using? The patches that i tried from other users never sound like the original, there are a lot of variables: guitar, global eq, monitors...they always require a bit of edits IMHO.

What monitors are you using? The patches that i tried from other users never sound like the original, there are a lot of variables: guitar, global eq, monitors...they always require a bit of edits IMHO.

I have a pair of M-Audio BX5a monitors. I know they're not high-end monitors but the disparity between the tone going through my Carvin poweramp and Port City OS 1x12 cabs, compared to direct, is quite frankly, astounding. Going out the Output1 jacks to the carvin amp and cabs, sounds great. Really great. Of course in that case, I don't use cab sims/blocks. If I go out to my DAW with the cab sim on and a cab block, it's just fizzy and a somewhat harsh. Your clip sounds like what I can get through the amp and 1x12 cabs. But I can't get that direct.

Right now I'm looking at a new interface and monitors. My Audiophile is at least 5 years old so maybe the newer ones are "better"? I may try a firewire interface but I'm a bit nervous to throw any more money at it in case it doesn't get any better.

I should also add that most of my "issue" is with high-gain presets. Clean presets sound very good. The most I can complain about clean presets is simple EQ. But the "fizz" in the high-gain stuff is pretty bad.

I should also add that most of my "issue" is with high-gain presets. Clean presets sound very good. The most I can complain about clean presets is simple EQ. But the "fizz" in the high-gain stuff is pretty bad.

Try with a low pass filter and with a 10-20ms delay on the right channel.

Back
Top Bottom