My favorite part of my fractal device

djlynch

Inspired
Lately I am finding it difficult to find any kind of overdrive distortion tone I don't like. Example. Years ago I craved a bogner fish or a cae+ in my rack days . Couldn't afford. Early times with the axe maybe I couldn't dial it or just spent to much time playing other amps. Lately those two and many others are killiing it. So many dirty tones but each one has its one flava. We are damn lucky!

My head starts to spin a bit when I flip through the amps and cabs -- there are so many amazing combinations and so little time to really explore. It's made me want to be a better guitarist so I can genre hop as well as I can amp-cab combo hop. :)

I wanted to play around with the Orange amps after watching a Classic Albums episode about Paranoid and seeing an Orange in a clip of Black Sabbath. I picked out the RV-50. I tried out some of the suggested cabs and the sound wasn't doing anything for me. I went to click on another suggested cab and accidentally selected the Rumble 4x12 with 121 mic (cab 166). What a happy accident that was! It's not like it sounded just like Tony Iommi (why would it?) but it turned out to be a great hard rock tone. Now I am pondering making it my default rhythm sound. So much fun!

Beyond the staggering options I love being able to tweak out the undesirable aspects as well. The fuzz face has always been on the wooly side and I've always defaulted to amp settings to correct it but I recently had a duh moment and just bumped up the low filter by about 100 or so Hz and it's exactly the sound ive wanted out of it without messing with amp eq. And it's such a breeze to do these kinds of changes without needing a soldering iron and knowledge of electronics, I get from point a to point b and keep right on trucking creatively

I prefer the Tom Morello approach to guitar tone. He was always struggling to find that perfect tone, going through endless amps and stuff, until one day he realized that he was never going to find what he was looking for. So he decided his current setup was as good as it was going to get and he might as well stick with it and concentrate on writing music and making weird noises instead. And so he did and the rest became history.

So I've decided that my tone is a cranked Marshall for dirt, a Fender Twin for clean, with a Big Muff going into said Twin for leads. I don't even bother with any other amps. I much rather would make music and weird noises instead.

Back
Top Bottom