My experience and initial impressions on the AFXu

Sloppy

Not exactly a review but an initial impression on the AFX ultra. I got mine after driving 100+ miles to meet with a nice seller (forum member) who also have to drive 600+ miles. I’ve never been this excited with a gear before, i’ve lusted on the standard for months but here i am getting the ultra - i couldn’t sleep and wait for the next day to meet the seller.

When i connected it to my studio monitors, the sound was awful than my first line 6 product (a $75 guitar port). It was due to bad connectors and not reading the manual (input level was too low), now the sound is okay but nothing spectacular. A vypyr tube 60 that i once owned sounded better, i checked if the amp and cab sims are off but they’re on so i have the correct settings. I tried all the presets and didn’t find one that i really like or could use except that by now I know what the AFXu is capable of. This is a powerful guitar processor which is capable of doing many things but it still sounds like any other modeler. I thought i will be getting rid of it sooner than i think.

I updated it to 9.03 and installed Axe-Edit and restored all presets to factory. I still don’t like what i’m hearing for a very expensive modeler until i came up with a sweet child preset that is very close to the recording. I installed some redwirez IRs (very recommended) and now i’m listening to the best tone i’ve ever heard from a modeler. I seriously can’t distinguish the tone i’m producing from the real one but still the rest of the presets are “fake”. My wife even thought i was playing the recorded version instead of a backing track, i told her to notice that vocals were missing.

I spent some time creating my own patches but with no success, i really have to read the manual or the Axe-Edit guide/manual. My AFXu is 2 days old and i know what it’s capable of but to expect it to sound like what others are saying or what you hear in youtube is foolish, you have to spend some time to get the tones that you want.

The presets and patches that i dial myself still sound very modeled as if the the noise gate and compression is turned very high, they all sounded plastic. But i have this 1 preset that i got from this forum that tells me how good this unit can get with the correct settings. So that tells me to keep learning or keep looking for good shared presets that i can tweak. Hope this helps to those thinking of giving up with this unit.

Here's my tips Sloppy,

1. Turn up your input knob until the red light is flickering on hard picking.
2. Go to the global noise gate and turn it off. Also turn off any other effects like reverb etc.
3. Bring up an amp block and a cab block
4. Try dialling up Plexi 2 on the amp block, and then dial up the Brit 4x12 or 4x12 G12M on the cab block
5. Try using the no-mic setting on the cab block
6. Try turning the master up full on the amp block
7. Adjust the drive, bass, middle and treble to taste. Try turning the bright switch on and off.
8. Make sure you are using the XLR outs on the Axe-FX (or the spdif set to 48kHz), and make sure you are using a Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) amplification system for monitoring.
9. Try all of the above, but plug into a power amp (ie effects loop on an amp) and turn the global power amp and cabinet modelling off and see how you go.
10. Tweak at gigging volumes (whatever that is for you).

TimmyM

My advice? Restore it to factory settings before you toss it. Who knows how the other user was running. Restore the banks and all the system settings.

There's also the thing about "ear fatigue". After a while of tweaking, your ears start thinking a bad sound is the best sounding. You need to "reset" your ears; either by playing clean at low volumes for a few minutes or simply shutting everything off for a while and then coming back to it.

Even after owning the Boss GT-8 for a year, there were still many many tones that I would stumble upon after reading the GT-8 brilliance document. I wouldn't be surprised if the AXE wasn't 1000 times more complicated than the Boss. :)

Make sure you dial up a decent reverb. Imo nothing on the axe sounds that great dry. Why? Because it sounds unnatural, we as humans are RARELY EVER in a situation where there is no reverb.
It just never happens.
Every amp sound you have ever heard in your life in person has some sort of reverb.
~mx~

Back
Top Bottom