"My Effin' Life" book

acwild

Experienced
Anyone read this? I'd love the Kindle version but it's priced a bit outside of reasonable. As a huge fan of Rush and currently being on a bass kick as of late, this book has caught my attention. Is it worth buying?

I have the printed version of the book, but I strongly recommend listening to the Audible audiobook version, narrated by Geddy himself (with a few special guest appearances from Alex). Hearing him recount the stories of his life in his own voice is wonderful. I'm a huge Rush nerd, and their music really was the catalyst for my development as a guitarist in the early 80s. In listening to the book, Geddy's humor and humanity shine through.

I have the printed version of the book, but I strongly recommend listening to the Audible audiobook version, narrated by Geddy himself (with a few special guest appearances from Alex). Hearing him recount the stories of his life in his own voice is wonderful. I'm a huge Rush nerd, and their music really was the catalyst for my development as a guitarist in the early 80s. In listening to the book, Geddy's humor and humanity shine through.
I got the hardcover for Christmas and started reading it but switched to audible this week. I can second this recommendation. Geddy doing the narration adds a whole lot more to the enjoyment.

I don’t have Audible so that’s out. I was interested in the Kindle version because I’m trying to eliminate clutter. 😁 His Big Book of Bass should have been a hardcover purchase as I think it’s a perfect coffee table book. Thanks for the recommendations! I guess I’ll buy it.

I just finished it yesterday actually. It was a great read for me. A lot of great Rush rock n roll tales from back in the day that I enjoyed reading about as a Canadian fan since the beginning. It is also a very personal read, describing in detail, his parents' holocaust survival experience, as well as many losses he has experienced over the years paricularly the death of Neil Peart.

There's one passage I highlighted with the intention of relating it to the forum here since it reminded me of our tendency toward gear nerdiness. The passage is in chapter 15 where Geddy is describing the rehearsal sessions for the Hemispheres tour, specifically Alex Lifeson's prolonged gear tweaking. Geddy writes:

"Syncing up my sequencers could be a nightmare for everyone else, I'm sure, but Alex drove me and Neil the craziest as we waited for him to get his sounds together: whack the guitar, twiddle a knob, whack the guitar twiddle a knob, WHACK the guitar, twiddle a knob ... save me someone!"

lol, Alex Lifeson - destined for Axfx, even in 1979!

Rush - an incredible story - an incredible band - a 🇨🇦 treasure

Last edited:
I just checked my library for the audiobook. There’s an 18 week wait. After telling my brother about it, he tells me that he just grabbed the CD version from them and that he’s number One in line. Ffs.
I listened to a sample from the Audiobooks website. It’s hilarious! I have to get my hands on the book (then wait 18 weeks for the audio version).

In case anyone's still after the audiobook

It's also on Spotify

Been listening to it and really enjoying it

Just got to the bit where Ged is talking about their first TV performance
He said if you're a fan of the band to check it out, so here you go

Last edited:

It's also on Spotify

Thanks for hunting this down. I was wanting to go find it because I remember watching it before. I’ve gotten to the point of the live album “A Show of Hands”.

I will give the book 5 stars because there’s an incredible amount of important information spanning many deep subjects. However I have found myself becoming encumbered by the “never meet your heroes” syndrome. At my age I know better, or should no better than making heroes out of normal men. But Rush was such a big part of my early musical (guitar playing) influence it’s hard to give it up even at almost 59.

Truth be told I began to lose interest when Permanent Waves was released. I remember being very disappointed with that release. I liked Moving Pictures, but became increasing uninterested. I got increasingly more Prog and Jazz Fusion. All bands Geddy talks about being a huge fan. My brother and one Keyboard playing friend continued to buy albums and see shows. After my first and most pivotal concert (Rush Jan 20, 1979) I didn’t see them live again until Vapor Trails tour which I saw them 3 times.

I recommend everyone give the audible (in whatever source) version a go. Having the person who wrote the book read it is very cool. Especially for content like this.

It's also on Spotify

lol I just listened to that same part yesterday

I read it and liked it a lot. I recommend it to any Rush fan, for sure. I had the Kindle version, borrowed from the public library.
I absolutely love my Kindle because of all the books that I can borrow from my library! Unfortunately there’s a huge wait for this book (8 weeks).

Truth be told I began to lose interest when Permanent Waves was released
Same - FWTK / Hemispheres is the sweet spot for me after being introduced via All The World's a Stage (such a great live album, I have difficulty listening to studio versions of those early tracks). Saw them on the Hemispheres and MP tours. Lost interest after MP back in the day, but I've come back to the post MP catalogue later in life and have warmed up to it (Signals, PW, Test for Echo in particular). Still the guitar tones are more and more to my taste (heavier / crunchier) the farther back in the catalogue I go. The book aligned with my perception of them as dedicated to advancing their music and to each other as life long friends.

Same - FWTK / Hemispheres is the sweet spot for me after being introduced via All The World's a Stage (such a great live album, I have difficulty listening to studio versions of those early tracks). Saw them on the Hemispheres and MP tours. Lost interest after MP back in the day, but I've come back to the post MP catalogue later in life and have warmed up to it (Signals, PW, Test for Echo in particular). Still the guitar tones are more and more to my taste (heavier / crunchier) the farther back in the catalogue I go. The book aligned with my perception of them as dedicated to advancing their music and to each other as life long friends.
For sure…the book has me doing the same. I’m sort of methodically going through the discography I missed. Using the book, their website information and remembering where I was in my life during that time period I’m going to listen through the albums with the new found knowledge giving them a fair shake. I do know a few of the songs from Signals and PW. I remember seeing the Roll The Bones video a few times.

It’s always interesting to see what people hold as their favorite era of Rush. I absolutely love Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves and assumed most people did as well. The era that I really don’t care for is their synthesizer-heavy period. Power Windows was the album that was “too much” for me and I stopped listening to Rush until Vapor Trails.

It’s always interesting to see what people hold as their favorite era of Rush. I absolutely love Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves and assumed most people did as well. The era that I really don’t care for is their synthesizer-heavy period. Power Windows was the album that was “too much” for me and I stopped listening to Rush until Vapor Trails.
Being an early era Rush fan coming back to the middle era albums (Grace thru Test for Echo) many years later, I found that I had to set aside my nostalgia for the style and sound of the earlier stuff (up to MP), and appreciate, without expectation, those middle albums in a different context with keyboards prominent and a Lifeson tone / style that is quite different. Doing that, I find myself reaching for those albums more frequently now (I've been playing Signals a LOT lately). Now, my least favourite era is actually the Counterparts forward albums where they came back to a more guitar based sound, but to my ear, the heavy guitars on those later albums is a bit dark and does not have as much of the "crunchy hair" I hear on the early albums. From a vocals standpoint I love Geddy's shriek and somewhat higher range that's found much more on the early stuff (maybe not physically possible later on). That's the great thing about the Rush Catalogue: there's lots of content there and it goes to a lot of different places over it's lifespan, unlike other bands that stuck to the same formula throughout (AC-DC comes to mind as an extreme example, never straying an inch from the tried and true over many albums - but that's whole other thing and what they did is perfect for them).

I read the hardback when it came out and enjoyed it very much.

Now it is just taking up space on my shelf. So, if anyone in the US would like a hard copy of the book you can have mine for $10 (to help cover shipping). Shoot me a PM if you're interested. [EDIT: book is sold]

Last edited:
Just to be completely clear Permanent Waves was a let down (disappointment) only because I was wanting more of the large concept (both lyrically and musically) while maintaining their rawness type album much like @sprint. At that time things were changing fast with Prog and I was bumming about many bands going in more commercial directions or disbanding all together. I wasn’t completely thrilled about Yes’ 90125 at first, yet I was loyal and into albums like Tormato and Drama. I warmed up to much of the music on P-Waves and Moving Pictures and definitely most all Trevor Rabin Yes. Heck I played Free Will, Spirit of the Radio and YYZ along with La Villa Strangiato in bands and as go to songs when jamming. Well not so much La Villa, that was a song me and 3 guys perfected in a short lived band in 1981.

In all honesty I have never really cared for the post Neil’s tragedies and their long absence output like Vapor Trails, etc. I wanted to like it and as I said saw 3 shows on the VT tour because I wanted to support them as a band after learning all that had happened and what they survived. Also, the shows were entertaining. I will need to listen closer to Clockwork Angels because my brother says it’s good. I did see all the live videos released in the 2000’s through borrowing them from my brother.

"My" Rush is Signals up until Test for Echo.

I got into them in 1991, when Tommy Vance put an hour on of one of their shows from Wembley Arena from the Roll The Bones tour.on his Friday Night Rock show on Radio1

I didn't have the history of the early stuff, and I love bands like Pink Floyd and Marillion with atmospheric and cinematic use of keyboards, so I took so the heavy keyboard era, and I really love Alex's playing on those records. Even if I don't care for a lot of his tones from that era.

They seemed to run out of hooks on Test for Echo, and I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to any of the later albums.
I made a point of seeing them a few times whenever they came to England, and when Neil's death was announced it hit me like I'd lost someone important to me - aside from being my fav drummer his lyrics meant an awful awful lot to me growing up. So, it was a rare celebratory death that actually meant something to me

What's great for me is they have all these different eras. If they did the same thing all the time I doubt they would have been as loved, but even thought their sweet spot is early 80's through to mid-90's I doubt we'll ever see a band quite like them.

Back
Top Bottom