My DIY Fender Vibratone Rotary Speaker Cab

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
I owned a real Vibratone cab years ago.... loved it... sounded amazing, but was always worried the motor was going to die at any moment, it was big and heavy, and it was really only something that was cool in the room.... still though, classic bit of gear. I always wanted another one so I looked at my CenterPoint Stereo Space Station and though "hmmmmmm...."

Many hours later I think I can say I've got darn near the next best thing to the real!

1968_Vibratone.gifIMG_0197.jpgIMG_0199.jpgIMG_0209.jpg

This unit started off as a mkII Space Station which I got for a rather cheap price. Very cool speaker which basically creates this pseudo stereo effect which you can perceive anywhere in the room. It basically processes a stereo input and plays the stuff that the L and R channels have in common out of the front firing speaker, and then the stuff that is different it plays out of phase from the side firing speaker. Hard to explain but the effect is really noticeable in the room.. Doesn't really work for things like a ping-pong delay, but things like a stereo chorus, or ROTARY SPEAKER, sound amazing.

I run a dedicated stereo output into it, so its basically a 100% stereo wet rotary effect, with a dry main monitor, and control the level and rate with a foot pedal..... man, when you step on the pedal and hear it "spin up"..... sounds out of this world!

Only issue was the Space Station was so darn ugly... so a few corners, some grill cloth, and a little DIY "drip edge" which I made from $4 of aluminum screen door frame later and I think it looks a good deal better. Aged the grill cloth with some tea as well, as these were made from 1967-1972 so not exactly going to look too mint.

groove-tubes-sfx-spacestation-mk2-81814.jpgSFXSSmkII-large.jpg

Ugly right ???

Couple of "in progress" shots of the build

IMG_0142.jpgIMG_0206.jpgIMG_9329.jpg

Hardest part was the "drip edge".... Found a place on Ebay that sold it but they wanted like $50 just to do the front. I bought 8 feet for $4, just had to cut the decorated strip off it, which I actually think adds a cool little detail.

May or may not do the sides as well.... kind of a pain to work with the stuff, but might complete the look.

Also waiting on some waterslide decal paper to print the "Solid State" style logo onto a piece of metal for a proper look.

About $20 in parts total

Sadly I read Aspen PIttman, the designer (and guy behind Groove Tubes) passed away last week, so RIP Apsen, and thanks for making such a cool product.

Last edited:
That works basically like a mid-side microphone setup in reverse. I always wanted one of the Fender ones, but couldn't afford it....

Yeah pretty exactly like a mid-side mic concept backwards lol.

It’s really kind of surprising these aren’t more popular with modeler users. They aren’t totally flat, but work great with a stereo input, and modelers are a natural at stereo signal chains.

The older model lacks some low end, but the actual vibratone cab just had a 10” speaker and a cross over for high and low pass, so it really was just a midrange guitar spectrum, so this actually works great for that.

I think they have a new 12 or 15” XL model out that probably has a ton of low end for keyboard guys, but the oldie is a really fun stereo toy for a great price if you come across one.

Hmmm.... the v3 model claims 100Hz - 20kHz, so it is almost "FRFR". It would be neat to see the frequency response curve to see how "flat" it is. Plus, it has a sub out to hit a subwoofer with if there isn't enough grunt with the 280W it claims. Might be fun for small gigs or plunking around at home....

There's a bigger one. 700W.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...n-designs-center-point-stereo-spacestation-xl

:hearteyecat:

Tech Specs
  • Speaker Size: 1 x 12" Eminence coaxial woofer, 1 x 1" titanium mid driver, 2 x 6.5" Eminence side speakers
  • Total Power: 700W Class D
  • Inputs: 2 x 1/4" (Hi -10dB), 2 x 1/4" (Lo +4dB)
  • Outputs: 3 x XLR (left, right, sub), 3 x 1/4" (left, right, sub)
  • Frequency Range: 50Hz-20kHz
  • Maximum Peak SPL: 116dB SPL
  • Height: 29"
  • Width: 17"
  • Depth: 16"
  • Weight: 65 lbs.
Screen%20Shot%202019-08-22%20at%2011.07.14%20PM.png

Last edited:
Did a quick search on the driver. Eminence has a pretty good selection of coaxial bass/mid drivers, crossovers, and HF drivers that would work decently for guitar, with a decent cab....

This one looks nice for a 4x10" cab: https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Beta_10CX
Add this HF driver: https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Beta_10CX
And one or the other of these crossovers: https://www.eminence.com/speakers/crossover-detail/?model=PXB22k5cx or https://www.eminence.com/speakers/crossover-detail/?model=PXB23k5

Hmmm....

They are damn loud as is, can’t imagine the 700 watt version...lol

Groove Tubes actually used to sell upgrade packages to bring the older MkII to current spec, and I sourced all the parts myself a bit cheaper, but the thing was, whatever speakers were in the version I had sounded good. Probably not all that full range or flat obviously, but the real Vibratone cabs only had a 10”, and they also had a high and low pass crossover network so only the midrange was going to the 10” with the rotating baffle, the highs and lows actually were sent back to the amps speaker. As such, I figured I didn’t really need things like an updated coaxial tweeter, since I actually really only wanted the midrange, and played around with crossovers in the Axe to mimic the Vibratone.

I’ve even run it without an IR and it sounds pretty good as is, so it does color the sound a bit, so probably not the ideal choice to run an older version for keyboard, or even as a main monitor for guitar, but, for just using it in a wet/dry type setup with guitar I’m so happy with it as is I don’t feel the need to change the drivers.

In a way I think their marketing missed the mark, as they try to promote it as this stand alone FRFR type product, and it’s not ideal for that IMO, bit where it’s unmatched is an an easily portable, compact, way to add essentially stereo wet to a dry rig, and that is where it really shines, and where I think guitar players would really see the real fun.

Play a far field IR though it and a close mic IR through a normal monitor speaker.... totally “amp in room” , sounds awesome with big reverbs, modulation with lots of stereo separation etc.

Huge potential, but always a bit under the radar.

Sad to hear about Aspen, he was very personable and proud of his work. I got one of his earlier space station units for the venue I owned at the time, amazing unit for what it is. Nice work as always, @lqdsnddist

What a total shower of crap that is.....

I saw one of those recently next to an old JTM45 in a gutter downtown. I left them both there. Couldn't see any use for either of them.
:)

Back
Top Bottom