***My Core Patches - w/Red Wirez UPDATED 11-03-09***

Re: ***My Core Patches - w/Red Wirez UPDATED 10-28-09

Thanks for sharing Scott, I played my first gig using redwirez cabs last weekend and my Axe sounded fantastic. My marshall/vox cabs are based on your mixtures it's been a steep learning curve as I don't have too much experience of micing up real cabs so I try and take in as much of other people knowledge as I can. Threads like this make the Axe community such a great place to 'live' and learn :D

xpenno said:
Thanks for sharing Scott, I played my first gig using redwirez cabs last weekend and my Axe sounded fantastic. My marshall/vox cabs are based on your mixtures it's been a steep learning curve as I don't have too much experience of micing up real cabs so I try and take in as much of other people knowledge as I can. Threads like this make the Axe community such a great place to 'live' and learn :D

Outstanding - hope I helped in even a small way. This community has been a wonderful part of my life now and I've continued to learn more than I ever imagined myself!!

Hi Scott,

would it be possible to post a short soundclip of all of these patches.

Just to hear how they sound with your setup

Larsmars

Ok I am trying this out. Few questions:

1. On your text. it says: BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Orange4x12-V30s\Royer R121\Orange4x12-V30s-R121-Cone-6in.wav,0.45 What is the 0.45? Does that mean anything?

2. Do we have to use the 48/24 waves redwirez or can will the MIXir work with the axe-fx files?

3. So we take the recipes, all of them and but them in the ir_mix-specs folder. When we run the MIXir whatever recipes (txt files) that are in there will be created in the ir_mixes folder is that right? Don't know if I am on right track here?

keano said:
Ok I am trying this out. Few questions:

1. On your text. it says: BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Orange4x12-V30s\Royer R121\Orange4x12-V30s-R121-Cone-6in.wav,0.45 What is the 0.45? Does that mean anything?

2. Do we have to use the 48/24 waves redwirez or can will the MIXir work with the axe-fx files?

3. So we take the recipes, all of them and but them in the ir_mix-specs folder. When we run the MIXir whatever recipes (txt files) that are in there will be created in the ir_mixes folder is that right? Don't know if I am on right track here?

lesmars, I will try to cut some clips this week.

Keno,

1) Please see the IR Mixer thread; you need to download and use the IR Mixer utility from RedWirez. The steps are in that thread.
2) Yes.
3) Yes. Then you will need to convert them to the format for the Axe-FX using AlbertA's utlity. Then upload them and viola - you are off and running.

Thanks for taking the time to post these Scott.

I would also like to hear some clips because I tried these and through my setup these arent as good as some of the old old patches (especially gain ones). The bogner feels so dead. These are obviously working for you and others so Im curious as to what I am doing wrong. Ive also tried different guitars with your patches (strat, tele, LP etc) FWIW.

Cheers

C

Cron said:
Thanks for taking the time to post these Scott.

I would also like to hear some clips because I tried these and through my setup these arent as good as some of the old old patches (especially gain ones). The bogner feels so dead. These are obviously working for you and others so Im curious as to what I am doing wrong. Ive also tried different guitars with your patches (strat, tele, LP etc) FWIW.

Cheers

C

Just crank the master volume up to 5.00 on the Bogner and it'll come alive. (Same with the Marshall). The are set too low. Working with the Angus reamp stuff today led me to a few 'aha!' moments.

Playing around with the master volume was the 1st thing i did.....didnt fix the problem.

I see you disabled the bright switch on the bogner (its on by default if im not mistaken) I cannot get a usable sound with it off. But I guess the bogner tone I want to hear sounds more crunchy/chunky and mean than what you are going for...... but I'll reserve judgement on that untill I hear the clips (no rush though) :)

I just get worried when experienced guys like you who have owned strings of great tube amps create patches that sound bad and "un tube-like" to me. It really confuses me. Keep in mind that I used to work as a sound tech and FOH engineer and now record and produce my band's music so I shouldnt be as clueless as I feel.

Just to be clear........this is by no means a shot at you and your axe-tweaking skills...... Its an attempt to understand what I'm lacking or doing wrong. I hope that IF there are others that feel the same, they would chime in.

Cron said:
Playing around with the master volume was the 1st thing i did.....didnt fix the problem.

I see you disabled the bright switch on the bogner (its on by default if im not mistaken) I cannot get a usable sound with it off. But I guess the bogner tone I want to hear sounds more crunchy/chunky and mean than what you are going for...... but I'll reserve judgement on that untill I hear the clips (no rush though) :)

I just get worried when experienced guys like you who have owned strings of great tube amps create patches that sound bad and "un tube-like" to me. It really confuses me. Keep in mind that I used to work as a sound tech and FOH engineer and now record and produce my band's music so I shouldnt be as clueless as I feel.

Just to be clear........this is by no means a shot at you and your axe-tweaking skills...... Its an attempt to understand what I'm lacking or doing wrong. I hope that IF there are others that feel the same, they would chime in.

Here's Angus playing through that exact Bogner patch via reamping him; cut it today... it don't sound bad to me. ;) :D

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1872996/Ream ... eJuice.mp3

FWIW, I cannot stand the 'bright' switch on almost any amp in the Axe-FX. Drives me insane, too bright, too crunchy, too much everything. Blah. IMHO, YMMV.

Scott why do you have a drive after the cab? What does this do? On Angus' clip does he use both drives before and after?

Thanks

keano said:
Scott why do you have a drive after the cab? What does this do? On Angus' clip does he use both drives before and after?

Thanks

The drive after the cab is my (foot selectable) solo boost for live gigging. I only had the front OD on for that clip; I cranked up the master to 5 and rolled the preamp gain up a bit (6.25?) or so is all.

Ok.

In reading criticism here and via private messages and email; and also during the re-amp fun I've been exploring a LOT the past few days... time to reset for me.

I went back to square one. I revisited, reworked and rethought everything in all my patches. I've uploaded all the most current revisions in the first post here. The RedWirez IR Recipes are the same as they were originally.

I revisited the Sag, Master, Drive, Depth and Dampening parameters and how they interact. I also tweaked out the wah expression pedal curve, delay mix expression curves and reverb mix among other things I needed to 'clean up'.

These all have a LOT more life, hair, bounce and growl; the cleans are expressedly done for my single coils though; I do NOT use my humbuckers for my clean tones... so be aware of clipping and bad sonics if you use humbuckers with them.

Have a go and give me feedback. To stop learning is to die.

I don't have the time to cut clips for all these, but here is the Angus re-amp take with THIS version of my Bogner preset (drive block ON before the amp): http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1872996/Ream ... sJuice.mp3

Mercury25 said:
Scott,
That sounded awesome--love that tone!
Is it posted on Axechange yet?

No, I updated it here via the first OP as a zip download. The IR recipes are very important to what I do and at this point, there is no way to add those to the Axe-Exchange with the patch.

Back
Top Bottom