My AxeFX III sounds bad, and I don't know why

Yeah the playback system will absolutely matter, no question! I still do not understand why the basic setup (Input->Amp->Cab->Output) is nowhere comparable to Leon Todd or especially the Cooper Carter video. It's not about a small set of tweaking it feels like, the essence is completely night and day.
The thing is if you played it at your friends or sellers house and loved it but it sounds completely different now , it’s can’t be the Axe , so you have to look at other variables

The thing is if you played it at your friends or sellers house and loved it but it sounds completely different now , it’s can’t be the Axe , so you have to look at other variables
100% agreed. It's just like I want to figure out, why my sound is not even remotely close to others, using the same or even slightly tweaked settings. I feel like my setup is not overly complicated - nor incompatible to achieve comparable results. It's a basic setup I guess.

100% agreed. It's just like I want to figure out, why my sound is not even remotely close to others, using the same or even slightly tweaked settings. I feel like my setup is not overly complicated - nor incompatible to achieve comparable results. It's a basic setup I guess.
What were his monitors vs yours. Brand and speaker size ?

As far as I can tell he was using the KRK RP8 G4 monitors, and Beyerdynamics DT 990 headphones. I am comparing it to the headphone sound, because I have the exact same headphones in my setup.

As far as I can tell he was using the KRK RP8 G4 monitors, and Beyerdynamics DT 990 headphones. I am comparing it to the headphone sound, because I have the exact same headphones in my setup.
That's good you have the exact same headphones. One less variant.

Same guitar in both situations?

The AFIII makes differences in guitar pickups very, very stark.

What is your monitoring source? What headphones/studio monitors/powered wedge/etc are you using for final monitoring? This the final and most crucial point of the signal chain.

On the Scarlett do you have the direct monitor button set to stereo (the setting on the right)? This will hard pan the two inputs. The other setting is dual mono, like for a vocal and acoustic guitar mic where both inputs are centered, which is not what you want in this case.

Also do headphones sound ok plugged directly into the Fractal?

On the audio page of axe edit setup menu, make sure output 1 is set to stereo.

Have you tried the headphones just plugged into the front of the Axe?
Yeah, no difference basically.
That's good you have the exact same headphones. One less variant.

Same guitar in both situations?

The AFIII makes differences in guitar pickups very, very stark.
Yes, same guitar.
Yeah, try headphones plugged directly into the AXE
On the Scarlett do you have the direct monitor button set to stereo (the setting on the right)? This will hard pan the two inputs. The other setting is dual mono, like for a vocal and acoustic guitar mic where both inputs are centered, which is not what you want in this case.

Also do headphones sound ok plugged directly into the Fractal?

On the audio page of axe edit setup menu, make sure output 1 is set to stereo.

Both tried, but to no avail.

Record a DI of some riffs and post it here along with a link to a reference tone of what you are looking for, and an example of your best preset attempt so far - I'm sure some peeps here would take a shot at creating a preset for you using the DI which represents your guitar / hands.

When you turn down your input to 5% to hit the converters right you only got it fixed for the converters. Everything you turn down there gets added in the digital path in return, that way you get 'your' guitar through to the digital world without overdrving the converters.
So in the digital world your guitar is still one of the louder ones and has a strong and louder than average signal.
If you want to use that loud guitar with other peoples presets that might got created with lower guitars your signal is too loud.

And that's all normal. Real amps would do the same. Someone tweaks an amp with his 7ender Startocraster with singles and gets an awesome tone. Now you come after and plug in your bare knuckles loaded beast. You don't sound the same.

You should turn down the gain when you try other peoples presets with a loud guitar.
You can do that globaly via Input 1 Gain or in each such preset in it's input block or aby where else before the amp block.

Record a DI of some riffs and post it here along with a link to a reference tone of what you are looking for, and an example of your best preset attempt so far - I'm sure some peeps here would take a shot at creating a preset for you using the DI which represents your guitar / hands.
That sounds like a cool idea!

If somebody is out there liking tone matching, this particular rhythm tone might be not easy at all. As far as I know, they use AxeFX for the bass and guitars as well, but no public presets.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/jf3ue1hw8xwe1uj3p3rji/h?rlkey=6q8p7htkkltxpkk6lnxwt86at&dl=0
Including two seperate taken stereo DI's (for left and right panning) and a backing track for that particular part of the song.

This is the original playthrough of that part, the sound I'm desperately looking for. I'm pretty sure it is somewhere in that EVH 5150/Peavey 6534 corner.

That sounds like a cool idea!

If somebody is out there liking tone matching, this particular rhythm tone might be not easy at all. As far as I know, they use AxeFX for the bass and guitars as well, but no public presets.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/jf3ue1hw8xwe1uj3p3rji/h?rlkey=6q8p7htkkltxpkk6lnxwt86at&dl=0
Including two seperate taken stereo DI's (for left and right panning) and a backing track for that particular part of the song.

This is the original playthrough of that part, the sound I'm desperately looking for. I'm pretty sure it is somewhere in that EVH 5150/Peavey 6534 corner.

I agree that is likely a 5150 w a Horizon drive in front, gate in between the amp and cab

Some screenshots of my settings, just to rule out I forgot something important:

Config:
Input Levels:
Sample Rates:

@iaresee, no clipping to be found in grid view. 5% Input level sounds absolutely insane, especially because I use passive pickups only. But as soon as I go higher, the "IN1 CLIP" message is shown on the Axe.

EQs for out 1 and 2 are active in the config, do they have a special purpose?

Shows the same behaviour.

No, they are all at 0.
I think at this point best thing you can do is post the di tracks if you can so others can run your Di through their systems and presets and see if that is working .
if someone can take the DI of the clip you posted above and reamp it to see if that gets the sound you want

I think at this point best thing you can do is post the di tracks if you can so others can run your Di through their systems and presets and see if that is working .
if someone can take the DI of the clip you posted above and reamp it to see if that gets the sound you want
yeah, lets see if someone is able to kindly do something with my recently posted DIs and backing track :)

Back
Top Bottom