My Axe FX II looks dead ...

Kingfloyd

Inspired
My AXE FX II does not power up anymore.

I played at home for about 30’ and everything was fine. I left it for about 2’ to take notes of what I was doing and when I came back the screen was black and the Axe silent. I tried to power off/on several times with no effect. I tried another power supply without any effect. I had no warning signs of any kind and it came all of a sudden.

I had no usb, no Din, no MFC plugged when it happened. Other electric equipments powered from the same electric supply at the time it happened are OK and working fine.

I noticed a light burning smell at the rear of the axe (really light and no smoke). After an hour, no change in the situation. Does not look good...

The axe is not old (November 2011).

I contacted G66 as they sold the AXE. Most probably I will have to send the AXE to them (... in Germany while I live in Belgium ...). Hope they can find a solution within a short time ...
Looks like it will be long and boring week end.

Light burning smell doesn't sound positive. Have not looked inside of mine at all but if not getting any power indications at all, may be worth a peek to see if there is an internal fuse. If there is only replace with what it's rated as if there is a deeper issue other than a power surge, you want to make sure everything is still protected. Good luck....had to send mine to Fractal a year or so back and it was a two week adventure. Sorry brother!

It sounds like the power transformer has popped - we 230V supply users seem to be more prone to this issue than the 110V users in the US.

It's an easy job to replace it, so G66 might offer to send you one to fit yourself as you're still within the 2 year warranty. No shipping the Axe to and fro then :)

Well ... let's just say the majority of the posts with this issue have been from 230/240V users .... I've no other 'evidence' than that :)

It's a readily available and not too expensive part - so might be worth investing in one as a back up - here it is in mouser (uk)
Emerson-Astec-Power - LPT42

Reactions: NMG
Je pense que c'est ton alim qui a cramé. Déjà vu des posts à ce propos.
Moi j'ai renvoyé le mien (à G66) pour un pb de gros souffle soudain.
Fragiles ces petites bêtes quand même ...

Your diagnostic was right. I received an answer from Sussi at G66 explaining that the power supply is defective and needs replacement. That is easy to do and there is no need to return the Axe to Germany.

This is an opportunity to underline how good the (European in this case) Fractal after sale services is. I had a problem with the Axe around 11:00 in the morning on Saturday. Before 14:30 the same day (Saturday ...) I already received an answer from Sussi at G66. She suggested to send the replacement piece to me on Monday. To make sure that would be ok, she also sent a video showing how to proceed with the replacement ... This is REALLY GOOD customer care in my opinion. I had problems with other pieces of gear, sometimes expensive ones, and has never been treaty so well by distributors/manufacturers.

Definitively the AXE is the best investment I made in terms of guitar gear.

Sorry to go slightly OT, but does this mean US Axe Owners should use a step-down transformer (in addition to a power conditioner) when playing in Europe? Are there any other precautions if you are doing a gig where there is 230/240V? Should the real paranoids among us (and you know who you are! :) ) be thinking of bringing an extra power transformer along?

Only FAS/G66 would know the stats on the failure/locale ratio of the psu.

I suspect if it was a very common problem we'd hear a lot more about it on the forum - so I wouldn't be too concerned.

same happene to me - call susi at g66

she sent me a new psu board yo fit - arrived in 2 days and took 5 mins to fit

need to send unit back

Back
Top Bottom