My Attempt at Mysterious Ways A3 for Axe-Fx II

rewddog- Well, at least there is one less piece of gear you need to lug around in your rack. Thanks for liking it and for sharing your preset as well. That's the beauty of this stuff. Everyone has their own piece of the puzzle they can add.

Edgewannabe- Thanks and enjoy!

Hey Scott, and Rewddog, this is awesome, I just did a quick tweak of the flanger and I was A/B ing it to my A3 and then playing both presets with the original recording, and edges story of the guitar playing, and a backing track. I must say this is the first time I've come this close with the Axe FX - I would have never guessed it would take three filters haha. I found that the axe fx sounded closer to the real thing. I'll post a recording later, and my tweak maybe too if you guys want. I'm just in awe. I will be seriously considering selling the A3 now because this preset is that good!

: D

Hey Scott, and Rewddog, this is awesome, I just did a quick tweak of the flanger and I was A/B ing it to my A3 and then playing both presets with the original recording, and edges story of the guitar playing, and a backing track. I must say this is the first time I've come this close with the Axe FX - I would have never guessed it would take three filters haha. I found that the axe fx sounded closer to the real thing. I'll post a recording later, and my tweak maybe too if you guys want. I'm just in awe. I will be seriously considering selling the A3 now because this preset is that good!
If you have time, I would also like to see your take on this preset!

This is my attempt at the A3. Please excuse the sloppy play as I recorded it with my Windows sound recorder and the latency was horrible. Axe-Fx II and cheap Strat. IT is based upon old versions and some tweaks of my own. Play around with it and have fun!

Give me some feedback on your versions. Let's hear your tweaks!

View attachment 16075

Wow thanks so much for posting this. I am the equipment manager for "Hollywood U2" - We just used our new Axe FX II Mark II for the first time last night. What it needed was a better Mysterious Ways. I was about to buy a Korg A3 just now when I found your post. I downloaded the file and sent it to Hollywood Edge - He's setting it up right now with a Rickenbacker 330/12. I'll let you know how it goes but your demo sounds spot on (considering the Strat).

Thanks again! Check us out!

[video=vimeo;72717326]http://vimeo.com/72717326[/video]

We have to re-geek it a little to sound right with our equipment. Its by far the best MW to date, though.

We're using a VOX AC30C2 (Mullards) with a Fender Deluxe together in Stereo and a Rick 330/12 with Hi Gain P'ups.

What amp were you using when you programmed this?

Consensus after Saturday's ZOO TV gig.. The effect and basic tone is there but the 'massiveness' of the A3 is not. We decided to pick up a Korg A3 just to cover Mysterious Ways properly. Preset 76 with effects chain 5 'stock out da box' on the A3 nails it.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear some more feedback. It is something that each person would have to tweak to their liking. I have had it sound completely different with various setups or guitars. There are some things in the A3 that may not be able to be easily duplicated as the electronics and programming in the A3 are completely proprietary. Overall I think the AxeFX II is the most dependable choice for the long haul. I am the front man for U2Zoo in Milwaukee. I assist our guitarist with the Fractal programming and wrote this MW patch for him. We have had mixed results depending upon the setup and global parameters etc. My AxeFXII and his don't react the same and my programs don't sound the same when I transfer them sometimes. So there are some tweaks to be made. I don't have an A3 to A/B it too, but I hear what you are hearing too as far as the massiveness. Crazy how a stock patch could be so iconic.
Perhaps within some of the newer firmware updates there will be some tweaks to the effects that help. Until then, Cheers and Rock and Roll for everyone!

I've run into this type of thing before even with the same manufacturers. Like the Roland Juno 60 is nice and fat and full.. but the Juno 106 - which is supposed to be the same thing with Midi capability - is kind of thin and droopy on the same patches. With the Axe I'm sure it has a lot to do with the guitar used while programming. Not everyone has a Rick 12 in their closet so they seem to be tailored for solid bodies. I'm sure the tones are in there someplace - its just a question of finding them. In our case, having dumped an obscene amount of cash on the Fireglo Rick for this tune it becomes more than OCD to want to get the tone and effect right - so enter the A3 (for now). I tell you what though.. the girls go nuts when that shiny red beast comes out lol.

561535_3698669921265_6343417_n.jpg 1274560_10202177199055595_570782039_o.jpg

Here´s a cheaper alternative to the Rick; the Gretsch Electromatic Hollowbody 12-string:

G5422DC-12 Electromatic® Hollow Body 12-String by Gretsch® Electric Guitars

Great value, I am really satisfied with this guitar. It´s stringed traditionally though, not the Rick "opposite"-way. Even so, I find the Mysterious Ways tone using this guitar to be quite accurate. Not sure if it will drive the women nuts, but it does looks good in sunburst ;)

2514813537_frt_wlg_001.jpg

I like those Electromatics. The Stock Blacktop Filtertrons are excellent for what they are. Much better than those 'Gretsch Humbuckings' they used to use. In fact, I had a Custom Green 5420t Electromatic put together for our Bono from Newcastle upon Tyne, UK... It was a lot more economical than getting him an Irish Falcon for the few tunes he plays on and the crowd loves it...

1174591_10202177199695611_712227714_n.jpg

PS: That pickguard is available from Mike Quick Pickguards. He made it up special for me and then decided to add it to his regular product line. You can get different colors/shapes/sparkle/solid etc.

Last edited:
Wow, that´s cool! Really looks the part :)

Thanks! We dig it. That's the thing with tributes.. everything has to look the part because in addition to being a band its also a sort-of theatrical production. Putting the right instruments into the hands of the players helps them to believe they are really the person they're portraying. It makes a huge difference in attitude and presentation. During the show we never let on that we are 'not' U2. No introductions.. no miscellaneous chatter.. our Bono only says things that Bono might say on stage. All these things add up to an incredibly believable show. The guitars are a big part of it since that's what Edge is known for so its gotta be a Rickenbacker. I even have a backup 360-12 for our Edge.

Rick 360 - 330 700px.jpg

Back
Top Bottom