My attempt at Killswitch Engage's "My Curse" tone (RedWire)

Nolly

Inspired
Hey guys,

I bought the Red Wire BIGBox pack today and thought I'd have a go at recreating this awesome metal tone.
I found this great backing online, tweaked around a bit, and here's what I got:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/KsE%20-% ... edWire.mp3

It's not dead on, but I'm quite happy with how it came out :)

This is the "PVH 5105" amp, boosted with the TS808 MOD drive, into the Red Wire Mesa Recto cab, SM57 5 inches back from the cap edge. Firmware is 9.00.

Cheers!

Nolly

Re: My attempt at Killswitch Engage's "My Curse" tone

Sounds awesome! I keep checking around for axe-fx tunes/clips for metal tones, but they are not as common as the blues/rock ones XD I hope to be able to get as awesome sounds as this when I get my ultra (one more paycheck >.<)

Also, I saw that you were selling (sold?) your VH4 and your band mate was selling (sold?) his Invader, are you guys getting new heads or going to be using the axe-fx live?

Thanks dude!

Yeah, we're going to be using Axe-FXs live! Exciting times, though I was very fond of that amp :(

Thanks for the link mate, I hadn't seen that before. However, I had heard that he mics quite far back, hence me going for the impulse that I did.
I feel this tone is slightly too "5150-y" for the KsE sound - a bit too snarly in the upper mids, and not rounded enough in the low end. I may try with the Uberschall, Recto or VH4 models next, or even the SLO.
Cheers for the comments! :)

Hmm, it's certainly close. If you run the axe-fx through the VH4's power section it gets very difficult to tell them apart. The modelled version certainly captures the huge low end and fat midrange, though I find that the real thing is a bit grainier. I should point out that this is in comparison to the 7.04 version - I haven't experimented since going up to 9.00, and I don't have the real thing for reference anymore!

:twisted: Sounds Great! I'd sure like to pull out tone like that from my Axe. What kind of guitar and tuning did you use? Any chance that you'd share amp and drive settings? I'd like to learn how to dial in a similar tone.

Absolutely mate :)

The guitar is a Blackmachine B6 tuned to drop C with a Bare Knuckle ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge pickup slot. This is a very midrange-y guitar, so you might find my settings a bit scooped.

The T808 MOD has the drive at 0, the tone around halfway, and the level at full. I didn't change any of the more advanced settings.
The PVH 5105 has the drive right back at about 8:30 ( :eek: ), the bass is at 1:30, the mids are at 10:30, and the treble is at 1:00, with the bright switch engaged. Presence, depth, damp and sag are all around 1:00, while the master is at about 2:00. I bumped both the warmth and thump parameters up to around 5.
Next I have a graphic EQ lightly cutting at 250 and 500hz, while also giving a bit of a boost at 8khz.
Then we have the RedWire Mesa Recto cab impulse, mic'd 5 inches back from the cap edge with an SM57.
After that I have a parametric EQ adding a high and low pass, doing some further cutting around 340hz, and also boosting around 130hz and 2khz.

As you'll see if you try it, it's not a very gainy tone on its own, but if you're quad-tracking like I did here, it should come out suitably meaty sounding. If you're only double tracking, you might want to add more drive on the amp to fill it out a bit.

Sounds awesome Nolly! I've been tempted to grab some of those BKP's. They sound really good.

Thanks for the settings as well! Tone sounds really nice!!!

Cheers D20, glad you enjoyed it!
You should definitely give Bare Knuckles a look, I love those things!

way closer than my kse clip, nice work!!

I think the real trick lies partly in the redwire ir's..........I always felt like I wanted more 'room' and midrange with the stock ir's.

Good job man. Would've believed it was the actual track unmixed if I hadn't known it was your clip. The biggest difference between this and the original is that you've got less gain. --> The muted stuff isn't as ballsy as it could be but it's still pretty good!

Got to give that 5inch back mic position a try.

cardinal of crunk said:
Nailbombs are the business!

Indeed they are Mr Cardinal of Crunk! (nice username :lol: )

JAB said:
way closer than my kse clip, nice work!!

I think the real trick lies partly in the redwire ir's..........I always felt like I wanted more 'room' and midrange with the stock ir's.

Yeah I think you're right with that, they have definitely opened up the sound a load.
Dizzy said:
Awesome !

Clark Kent said:
Good job man. Would've believed it was the actual track unmixed if I hadn't known it was your clip. The biggest difference between this and the original is that you've got less gain. --> The muted stuff isn't as ballsy as it could be but it's still pretty good!

Got to give that 5inch back mic position a try.

Awesome, thanks dude, that mic position is great, as is the 4", let me know how you get on!

Nolly said:
Thanks dude!

Yeah, we're going to be using Axe-FXs live! Exciting times, though I was very fond of that amp :(

How do you amplify your Axe? FRFR oder cabinet + (tube?)poweramp

Nolly said:
Then we have the RedWire Mesa Recto cab impulse, mic'd 5 inches back from the cap edge with an SM57.

That RW sounds nice man.
Strange though, if I switch it for a Orange, SM57, CapEdge 5", it sounds like sh*t. Almost like a wrong recording.

Back
Top Bottom