My Amp Before My FM9...Should It Be Bought Back?

if you can get your amp back, Id be tempted to just use it with a couple of modest peddles Infront of it to keep it simple, as opposed to a 34" pb with a fm9 on it is considerable footprint, even a fm3 with a ev1 or 2 still can be too much real-estate at some venues or for a simple low-key practice.
Be great if FAS can develop peddle that is smaller and more powerful than the fm3/9, my guess one is probably already on the drawing board.
That was the key point...my friend doesn't want to sell the Brunetti back yet!

I said I'd need to twist his arm a little so he'd reconsider, but that got nowhere fast...LOL...My hope is to portion out the parts from my Duo 34 to folks who might need them, perhaps for the cost of shipping at most...once the Duo 34 board has been salvaged for necessary parts, the remaining parts will be listed in the FOR SALE section.

There will be substantial savings over new cost for those who might need stuff...will let you know sometime this weekend as the new build takes place...

Joe,

I think it's awesome that you're offering a Duo 17. I'll be downsizing my Duo 34 and keeping the EV-1 off the board. Several items will be portioned out for parts, so keep the FOR SALE section on your screen during the next few weeks as the Duo 24 board takes shape...
It'd be a great platform for the stuff you're off-boarding to get the Duo24 together. It's literally just taking up space here....

It'd be a great platform for the stuff you're off-boarding to get the Duo24 together. It's literally just taking up space here....
Joe,

Thanks very much, but I'm good for now. If you must, put an ad up in the FOR SALE section and see if anyone needs something...am sure someone can make use of the 17 for either an FM3, FC6 or foot pedals...

^THIS^

A stock FM3 without an attached FC is more than capable for the needs of a jam, where the goal isn't to see how many sounds we can make, it's to make the song fly.

The default/original FM9 layout is very useful, and modifying the built-in OFM9G, which acts much like the original OMG9 only upside-down, is easy. It's a great starting point for a customized set of layouts. But its chassis is still the size of the FM3+FC6.
Ok so I feel compelled to point out that while everything Greg says is true, the FM3 is still a ~$1K solution. Once you add in a decent FRFR it is much more. I guess my main issue is at an open mic, even with a substandard ~$250 amp and some basic pedal(s) out front, why isn't the cheap utilitarian amp and pedal(s) combo preferable for "making the song fly" in that scenario? It's an open mic! Greg has already pointed out that he still brings one of his Mesa's in that exact same scenario. So why would he still bring his Mesa?

Hint & My Guess: The engineer in me is always deferent to the right tool for the right job. My Fractal Audio FM9 destroys even my most expensive boutique amps in the right setting all day long. But it isn't (yet) a swiss army knife for me in all applications - especially this one. It has become my main recording platform and my main gigging platform for anywhere we have good FOH and everyone on monitors. For those situations I have literally retired about $11,700 in expensive boutique tube amps sitting right here in my home studio. I still play them for fun but that's about it! I continue to discover that my FM9 can do anything they can do. However, the exception is this exact use case. Maybe I just don't have enough experience with my FM9 yet? I am sure everyone who disagrees with me will say exactly this.

But I agree whole heartedly that if Fractal made a grab and go 1x12 combo voiced properly for their modelers, that would be a game changer. They would probably sell a darn good number of them too. I would certainly line up to buy one! So PLEASE Cliff if you do, then for us old folks, make it under 30 lbs.! I am growing weak and lazy in my advancing years.

Ok so I feel compelled to point out that while everything Greg says is true, the FM3 is still a ~$1K solution. Once you add in a decent FRFR it is much more. I guess my main issue is at an open mic, even with a substandard ~$250 amp and some basic pedal(s) out front, why isn't the cheap utilitarian amp and pedal(s) combo preferable for "making the song fly" in that scenario? It's an open mic! Greg has already pointed out that he still brings one of his Mesa's in that exact same scenario. So why would he still bring his Mesa?

Hint & My Guess: The engineer in me is always deferent to the right tool for the right job. My Fractal Audio FM9 destroys even my most expensive boutique amps in the right setting all day long. But it isn't (yet) a swiss army knife for me in all applications - especially this one. It has become my main recording platform and my main gigging platform for anywhere we have good FOH and everyone on monitors. For those situations I have literally retired about $11,700 in expensive boutique tube amps sitting right here in my home studio. I still play them for fun but that's about it! I continue to discover that my FM9 can do anything they can do. However, the exception is this exact use case. Maybe I just don't have enough experience with my FM9 yet? I am sure everyone who disagrees with me will say exactly this.

But I agree whole heartedly that if Fractal made a grab and go 1x12 combo voiced properly for their modelers, that would be a game changer. They would probably sell a darn good number of them too. I would certainly line up to buy one! So PLEASE Cliff if you do, then for us old folks, make it under 30 lbs.! I am growing weak and lazy in my advancing years.
The sentiments are appreciated, but the thought was to do with what is currently within my ownership, acquiring some new parts, and relinquishing some used. The FM3 would have been a good choice save for the fact that like some, I've previously owned one, as well as an FC12, and even that was too much real estate. With the FM3, I'd likely need an FC6 to work as easily with the FM3. The costs would add up.

Just to clarify, here's what's being planned for my FM9:

Existing Temple Audio Duo 34 board:

Salvage -
(1) Temple Audio M/M XLR Module;
(1) FAS EV-1,
(1) Neutrik USB A > USB B 'Genderchanger' Reversible USB Panel Adapter;
Several TRS, XLR, and TS Cables...

Sell / Donate -
(1) Peterson StroboStomp HD tuner;
(1) Temple Audio IEC Micro Mains Power Module;
(1) Furman AC-215A 115-125VAC Dual AC Mains Power Conditioner/Surge Protector/Power Supply;
(1) Temple Audio (M/F) Pass-Thru XLR Module;
(2x) ProCraft (F/F) TRS Jack Panel Adapters;
(1) Studio Slips Temple Audio Duo 34 Custom-Made Gigbag;
(1) Temple Audio Duo 34 Board (modified w/ enlarged (drilled/filed) access point 2/5ths from the upper left toward upper center of Duo 34)

For the new Duo 24 board:

Buy -
(1) Temple Audio 4-Port ¼" Module;
(1) 3' Tripplite IEC Power Cable*;
(1) Temple Audio Duo 24 Effects Board*;
(1) Temple Audio Duo 24 Gigbag*;
(1) Furman AC-215A Power Supply;
(1) Temple Audio IEC Micro Mains Power Module
(1) Peterson StroboStomp Mini Tuner

Q: Why buy several items when they already were part of your former board?
A: Like most all electronic items we own, electronic components are typically warrantied for 1 year at most. Used components are comparatively inexpensive, especially electronics that have been used for more than a year. Also, smaller effects board requires some forethought into designing it. The 4-port module will replace the 2 ProCraft adapters and allow for additional upgrades in the future...

Regards pricing, don't touch that dial...beginning next Monday or Tuesday you'll be pleasantly surprised with what will be offered in the FOR SALE section...

Last edited:
The sentiments are appreciated, but the thought was to do with what is currently within my ownership, acquiring some new parts, and relinquishing some used. The FM3 would have been a good choice save for the fact that like some, I've previously owned one, as well as an FC12, and even that was too much real estate. With the FM3, I'd likely need an FC6 to work as easily with the FM3. The costs would add up.

Just to clarify, here's what's being planned for my FM9:

Existing Temple Audio Duo 34 board:

Salvage -
(1) Temple Audio M/M XLR Module;
(1) FAS EV-1,
Several TRS, XLR, and TS Cables...

Sell -
(1) Temple Audio IEC Micro Mains Power Module;
(1) Furman AC-215A 115-125VAC Dual AC Mains Power Conditioner/Surge Protector/Power Supply;
(1) Temple Audio (M/F) XLR Module;
(2x) ProCraft (F/F) TRS Jack Panel Adapters;
(1) Neutrik USB A > USB B 'Genderbender' Reversible USB Panel Adapter;
(1) Studio Slips Temple Audio Duo 34 Custom-Made Gigbag;
(1) Temple Audio Duo 34 Effects Board (modified with enlarged (drilled/filed) access point about 2/5ths from the upper left toward upper center of Duo 34.

For the new Duo 24 board:

Buy -
(1) Temple Audio 4-Port ¼" Module;
(1) Neutrik USB A > B Reversible Panel Adapter;
(1) 3' Tripplite IEC Power Cable*;
(1) Temple Audio Duo 24 Effects Board*;
(1) Temple Audio Duo 24 Gigbag*;
(1) Furman AC-215A Power Supply;
(1) Temple Audio IEC Micro Mains Module

Q: Why buy several items when they already were part of your former board?
A: Like most all electronic items we own, electronic components are typically warrantied for 1 year at most. Used components are comparatively inexpensive, especially electronics that have been used for more than a year. Also, smaller effects board requires some forethought into designing it. The 4-port module will replace the 2 ProCraft adapters and allow for additional upgrades in the future...

Regards pricing, don't touch that dial...beginning next Monday or Tuesday you'll be pleasantly surprised with what will be offered in the FOR SALE section...
How does that solve your issue of not being heard at the open mic venue with substandard PA?

How does that solve your issue of not being heard at the open mic venue with substandard PA?
Normally, my FM9 feed would send my dual XLR outs to the FOH PA. The house PA typically only amplifies voice and acoustic guitar, not electric guitar. Most of my songs would be accompanying the house band on electric guitar, which would not be heard even with the FM9 full up. My QSC CP8 is about 800W, or 500W RMS, and one CP8 would be more than adequate than bringing a similar 30W tube amp to the gig.

Somewhere you might have missed some of the discussion which spoke about what was needed for our open-mic. To reiterate, the house PA is typically only used for amplifying voice or acoustic guitar. The FM9/CP8 combination does the job as needed. What you may not have grasped was my current Duo 34 board is way too wide for our small stage area...the Duo 24 board will be about the size of my former PedalTrain board, which is what I used to bring in with my Brunetti several years ago...and that was not an issue then...

Normally, my FM9 feed would send my dual XLR outs to the FOH PA. The house PA typically only amplifies voice and acoustic guitar, not electric guitar. Most of my songs would be accompanying the house band on electric guitar, which would not be heard even with the FM9 full up. My QSC CP8 is about 800W, or 500W RMS, and one CP8 would be more than adequate than bringing a similar 30W tube amp to the gig.

Somewhere you might have missed some of the discussion which spoke about what was needed for our open-mic. To reiterate, the house PA is typically only used for amplifying voice or acoustic guitar. The FM9/CP8 combination does the job as needed. What you may not have grasped was my current Duo 34 board is way too wide for our small stage area...the Duo 24 board will be about the size of my former PedalTrain board, which is what I used to bring in with my Brunetti several years ago...and that was not an issue then...
I did read all that. I guess my confusion stems from why you would need to rebuy your old combo amp if your QSC CP8s work. For this specific use case (small room/venue) I still prefer an open back 1x12 combo over my CP8s (yes I have a pair of the same). I love them but I eventually want to upgrade to 12's and will probably go with the PXM-12MPs for the wider monitoring angle. Even with those I will still see needing a versatile 1x12 open-back combo. It just fills the small room more evenly especially without a decent FOH system. And my drummer hears it better too without a monitor.

I did read all that. I guess my confusion stems from why you would need to rebuy your old combo amp if your QSC CP8s work. For this specific use case (small room/venue) I still prefer an open back 1x12 combo over my CP8s (yes I have a pair of the same). I love them but I eventually want to upgrade to 12's and will probably go with the PXM-12MPs for the wider monitoring angle. Even with those I will still see needing a versatile 1x12 open-back combo. It just fills the small room more evenly especially without a decent FOH system. And my drummer hears it better too without a monitor.
I can see where you might be confused. The CP8s work great, it's the larger size of the Temple Audio Duo 34 that doesn't.

The Duo 24 will be about the same size as my former PedalTrain board, and I regularly lugged that and my combo amp into venues without issue. The Duo 24 and CP8 are the relative replacement for the combo amp/pedalboard.

I can see where you might be confused. The CP8s work great, it's the larger size of the Temple Audio Duo 34 that doesn't.

The Duo 24 will be about the same size as my former PedalTrain board, and I regularly lugged that and my combo amp into venues without issue. The Duo 24 and CP8 are the relative replacement for the combo amp/pedalboard.
Sounds like you have a plan. It definitely sounds more wallet friendly than snatching up another combo for your needs.

I am considering selling a couple of my amps and using the money to fund an expensive custom Keisel guitar build. The 2 amps I am thinking about selling are still worth a lot right now. However I wonder how much longer people will be willing to pay thousands for a boutique tube amp in the fabulous and brave new digital modeling world?

But no matter what I will keep a death grip on at least one of my Mesa 1x12 combos!

Sounds like you have a plan. It definitely sounds more wallet friendly than snatching up another combo for your needs.

I am considering selling a couple of my amps and using the money to fund an expensive custom Keisel guitar build. The 2 amps I am thinking about selling are still worth a lot right now. However I wonder how much longer people will be willing to pay thousands for a boutique tube amp in the fabulous and brave new digital modeling world?

But no matter what I will keep a death grip on at least one of my Mesa 1x12 combos!
Thanks. Adding a separate pedalboard and combo amp would have set me back much more than the Duo 24 rebuild; it made sense to try to rework my Duo 34 to a smaller footprint so as to accommodate the space constraints of the open-mics...

The boutique amp market seems to be rather lively at this writing...I think you can rest assured that there will always be a market niche for boutique tube amps...they're collectible and desirable...the only issue you might realize is shipping these things will be expensive. Unless you can strike a deal with someone locally, your market reach may be limited to how much the buyer is willing to pay not only for the amp, but shipping as well...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom