Mute Studio Monitors?

Mr Bach

Hi Guys,
Hoping someone can help me out here - I have the output of my AxeFx II and my PC soundcard connect to a small Behringer 502 mixer. My monitors are connected to the mixer output. I use the mixer to adjust levels when playing to backing tracks, songs etc and also for transcribing. I have a set of headphones connected to the headphone out of the mixer.
When using the phones I'd like to be able to mute the monitors - the Behringer 502 doesn't have monitor mute and turning the output volume down also effects the phone signal.
Does anyone know of a small mixer that allows monitor muting whilst using headphones or of some other way I can do this other than having to fumble around behind the monitors to turn off the power.
Thanks.

The 502 has separate phones and output volume knobs. You’re certain turning down Output affects the phones?

The 502 has separate phones and output volume knobs. You’re certain turning down Output affects the phones?

Hi Chris
Unfortunately it does - the level of the output volume control sort of sets the range in which the phones volume works. If the output is set to zero then no phones signal even if phones volume is maxed.

Hi Chris
Unfortunately it does - the level of the output volume control sort of sets the range in which the phones volume works. If the output is set to zero then no phones signal even if phones volume is maxed.
hmm then that's a limitation of the mixer. no other way to do it if they've designed it like that.

Thanks - this could be a great solution - run it between the mixer outs and the monitors so I can keep a mix in the phones whilst muting the monitors.

I have been using a Mackie mixers forever in my home studio. My monitors are connected to the mackie.

I just "turn" my monitors off and on depending what I want to do. Your monitors don't have an off\on switch? Mine are right in front and I can reach them easily on my DAW desk.

One of these would help you and give you some nice controls-
Mackie Big Knob Passive 2x2 Studio Monitor Controller $69
Their are cheaper ones also.

Definitely looks like one of these Studio Monitor Controllers will be the simplest and lowest cost solution....thanks for the suggestions

Stratman68 - monitors are Genelec so switch is on the back. With my set up a bit difficult to get to.

Wait, can't you use the USB of the Axe FX and monitors out through the Axe Fx to then play the PC sounds through it?

Once again thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it - I think after some research I'll probably get a Behringer Monitor 1.

I did want to try using the Axe-Fx as a sound card as suggested by Jeries. I set the default speaker output of the PC to the Axe-Fx but get no sound using Apps like Foobar and Transcribe set to use the default output. If I change the Axe-Fx Input to USB I get sound but that disables the guitar input.
Is someone able to tell me what I'm doing wrong here - how do I get both guitar and PC sound through the Axe at the same time?
Thanks.

Are you sending the audio to outputs 1+2? That should get mixed at Output 1 with whatever is going to the OUT1 block in your grid. You shouldn't need to change any of the input settings. See page 19 of the manual.

Back
Top Bottom