Mute FX In

John Tisdale

Experienced
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if you set a delay to Mute FX In that when it was bypassed it no longer affected your sound, but you still got delay trails.

I have used this method for a while in the 15% to 20% with no volume problems, but it seems when I put the Mix level at anything above 25% - 30% it is clearly lowering my overall output. I've corrected it by upping my amp output a bit, but what if I want something more extreme, like a 100% Mix for something weird? It totally kills the signal, and I really don't have much room left to do a parallel setup in this patch, it's already at 91%. I've settled on 50% for now, because above that it starts getting too quiet to account for, but I kinda wanted it a bit more crazy.

The delay block (not multidelay) keeps dry level constant at 0 to 50% mix, then lowers it as mix goes from 50% to 100%.

Bypassing with Mute FX In mode is like lowering input gain to 0%. The dry signal level won't change when you engage or bypass the block. If your mix is 50% or less and block level/balance are at 0, dry level in equals dry level out.

It sounds like you might be noticing that a loud enough delay increases the overall volume.

If you want FX applied to delay repeats only, a parallel path is required for dry signal. There isn't really a good way to avoid this.

Yeah it's doing at anything about 30%, and I tried all three delay types, with the same results.

And actually it's decreasing the overall volume of my total signal. I went as far as removing the block, and got a surprising volume jump of at least 3dbl.

What I'm trying for is a 90 to 100 saturated tone when on, with almost no original guitar, to a fully dry signal with the delay trails tapering off when I have it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which firmware version are you using? The delay mix law changed at some point but that was about 2 years ago at FW 11. I don't know if there were any bugs since then related to delay mix.

Posting a preset might make it easier to see what's happening. Set it exactly how it was before removing the delay and noticing the volume jump.

I'm on 19.b3, and at the moment I have noodled with the patch a bit so I can make the delay in a parallel path, and it's at 92%. I'm just swapping between the two paths. I'm not sure how to post a patch, and earlier I tried to post a screen cap, but it wouldn't let me. I'm not going to get much time my axe again till Saturday, so anything like that will have to wait till then.

I experienced the same problem but I thought it was normal behaviour since I've had the axe just for a few months. There's a 2-3 dB attenuation with the delay unbypassed. At this point I think it's a bug since, in addition to that, to have dry and wet signal at the same volume i have to set all my delays to 40% mix and 100% input gain or 50%mix and 80% input gain.

Yeah it's doing at anything about 30%, and I tried all three delay types, with the same results.

And actually it's decreasing the overall volume of my total signal. I went as far as removing the block, and got a surprising volume jump of at least 3dbl.

What I'm trying for is a 90 to 100 saturated tone when on, with almost no original guitar, to a fully dry signal with the delay trails tapering off when I have it off.

I'm not sure what you're noticing with mix at 30% but reading this again, it seems like you want something different from mute FX In. That keeps the dry signal equal between bypass & engaged, but you want it quieter when engaged and normal level when bypassed. One way to do this would be delay & vol/pan or filter in parallel, with only one block at a time letting signal through. Use Mute In bypass mode for delay.

I'm not sure what you're noticing with mix at 30% but reading this again, it seems like you want something different from mute FX In. That keeps the dry signal equal between bypass & engaged, but you want it quieter when engaged and normal level when bypassed. One way to do this would be delay & vol/pan or filter in parallel, with only one block at a time letting signal through. Use Mute In bypass mode for delay.

This is what I wound up doing, but this it not the behavior I would have expected from the mute FX in mode.

I kinda thought it would have worked like my memory boy pedal where, when it's on, the delay would get louder and the original guitar would get quieter as you turned up the delay towards extreme settings, and when you bypassed it, you would get delay trails, but the guitar would be 100% dry and at full unattenuated volume.

Are you running in parallel? What if you use mute in instead of mute fx in

Are you running in parallel? What if you use mute in instead of mute fx in

I was trying for series, but I've switched to parallel now, which seems to be the only way to get the behavior I want.

I'll have a chance to get more into tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom