Music Nomad F-One oil = REGRET!!!

Update:
Bought some Dunlop 65 lemon oil today and applied it to a raw area of my test subject and over the area that has the nomad conditioner. Same nasty dried out grippy feeling. Idk, I guess maybe I just don’t like what everybody else likes. I like my rosewood and ebony boards to feel very non intrusive. I like a wax-like feel sorta like what a finished nitro maple fretboard feels like. high quality rosewood and ebony boards always feel this way to me but now a couple of my high end guitars No More lol. :(((
If there’s any sort of finger-grime from years of playing on a fingerboard, then a treatment like you have mentioned will not remove it.

When I was doing luthery, and dealing with necks with grime, we’d scrape the fingerboard with a single-edged razor blade, then polish with a very fine steel wool, then use a conditioner/cleaner. Unfortunately I got to work on too many that were absolutely gross, and that stuff will not come off easily.

Without photos we can’t diagnose, but everything you have said sounds like a worse case and no conditioner or cleaner is going to work until someone scrapes off the residue.

I have rosewood and unfinished roasted maple fingerboards now, and used to have several guitars with ebony fingerboards, and the difference between them was very minor, but I’ve always been careful to wash my hands before playing them, even between sets, and to wipe down the guitar and neck between sets.

Working on other people’s guitars really makes us aware of what we need to do to keep them in good shape.

Last edited:
Did you clean the board before oiling it? It might just be a layer of finger gunk that's making it feel sticky. Scrub it good with some naphtha on a soft cloth and see if anything comes off. A tiny residue of oil should not make the board feel rough.

If mine are particularly gunked up, I'll scrape them like Greg said, but usually a good scrub with an old toothbrush and some naphtha fixes them right up.

Last edited:
Did you clean the board before oiling it? It might just be a layer of finger gunk that's making it feel sticky. Scrub it good with some naphtha on a soft cloth and see if anything comes off. A tiny residue of oil should not make the board feel rough.

If mine are particularly gunked up, I'll scrape them like Greg said, but usually a good scrub with an old toothbrush and some naphtha fixes them right up.
And NEVER let them get that way again.

I had a friend I played with for years who NEVER cleaned his Les Paul Custom “Black Beauty”, until it was disgusting. I finally told him I would clean and set it up it for free.

The gunk stuck to the underside of the strings and caked on the fretboard made me want to puke, and his caked on sweat on the finish…OMG. But a couple hours later it was shining. He’s probably let it return to that old condition but at least I tried.

Update:
Bought some Dunlop 65 lemon oil today and applied it to a raw area of my test subject and over the area that has the nomad conditioner. Same nasty dried out grippy feeling. Idk, I guess maybe I just don’t like what everybody else likes. I like my rosewood and ebony boards to feel very non intrusive. I like a wax-like feel sorta like what a finished nitro maple fretboard feels like. high quality rosewood and ebony boards always feel this way to me but now a couple of my high end guitars No More lol. :(((
The Guitar in my Avatar I have had for 10 years and I have put nothing on it but Dunlop 65 (Lemon oil) to a raw Ebony board and it feels like it did when I first got it no cracks no grime just raw wood! Maybe go after it with a polishing rag... or maybe you just don't like raw wood fingerboards? Either way best of luck!

Fellas, this is not a case of a sticky gum-like grime. I’m well versed in scraping off gunk. I know how to clean, care for, and do professional level guitar work. This case boils down to a dry grippy feeling board after use of Music Nomad F one oil. It’s friction between fingers and the board. The Dunlop lemon oil does same thing. Maybe them oils just don’t jive with me idk, but nobody else in the world seems to be aware of this or have the slightest idea of what I’m talking about lol :/
However, I really appreciate everyone’s insight and expertise in the matter.

@Billbill I think both the Music Nomad oil and the Dunlop oil are both just basically mineral oil with some added aromas. It sounds like you may prefer to condition the fretboard with a light coating of a wax based product.

@Billbill I think both the Music Nomad oil and the Dunlop oil are both just basically mineral oil with some added aromas. It sounds like you may prefer to condition the fretboard with a light coating of a wax based product.
Yes exactly!! Oiled wood is a horrible feeling to me. I waxed my other fretboards but the guitars with the music nomad oil the wax won’t take to it.

@Billbill Interesting. I have an end grain cutting board that I regularly treat with mineral oil and then follow up that treatment with a coating of food safe wax (a mixture of mineral oil and bee's wax). The wax adheres to the cutting board with no issues. What product are you using to wax your other guitar fretboards?

How do you cleaning nerds would clean a one piece maple neck with nearly zero finish on it?

I used steelwool for years but maybe there’s a better solution.

My guitar (the one in the profile pic) neck has really darkened a lot through years. I play it 7/7.
And it would be great to have a solution to bring back the light on it.

@Billbill Interesting. I have an end grain cutting board that I regularly treat with mineral oil and then follow up that treatment with a coating of food safe wax (a mixture of mineral oil and bee's wax). The wax adheres to the cutting board with no issues. What product are you using to wax your other guitar fretboards?
Actually it’s just a plain, non scented candle stick.

Back
Top Bottom