Music Man JPXI anyone have or try?

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
2500, big bucks. Any thoughts worth it? really it would have to be like the greatest guitar in everyway. I am a prog metal player like thin necks, typically I like neck through and this is not. People rave about JP this is a thinner wider neck I guess, 20 inch radius is new; that makes it super flat. Thoughts? I have a washburn wm526 which "seems" very similar; obviously I would like to try it, but cant at the moment. Not sure they are "stock" anywhere.

2500, big bucks. Any thoughts worth it? really it would have to be like the greatest guitar in everyway. I am a prog metal player like thin necks, typically I like neck through and this is not. People rave about JP this is a thinner wider neck I guess, 20 inch radius is new; that makes it super flat. Thoughts? I have a washburn wm526 which "seems" very similar; obviously I would like to try it, but cant at the moment. Not sure they are "stock" anywhere.

Another WM526 owner! Wow. Not many of us. The Custom shop only did a short run. Great guitar. Different animal than the JP, which I've never played. Passive pups, different bridge, wood fretboard.
The WM526 will still be banging hard when time has killed off a lot of other gear. Be proud to have one I say.

-P

I've played one extensively. Pretty different from my favorite iteration, the JP6, but still one of the easiest and most enjoyable guitars to play. Definitely worth the money if you have it, though I'd be inclined to just get another JP6 used.

thanks guys! yep keepin the wm its basically a collectors item now! wish I had the green from Keene (faceless); well I ordered the jp, got a nice deal 2020 shipped (arrrg though waited till July to get another 80 bucks off oh well), can return if not da bomb.

surh moderns are like another grand, just cant do that, played a friends, nice but appointments not amazing to me, does feel "hand made" in sorta not a good way. HIs is white maybe a bit older.

thanks guys! yep keepin the wm its basically a collectors item now! wish I had the green from Keene (faceless); well I ordered the jp, got a nice deal 2020 shipped (arrrg though waited till July to get another 80 bucks off oh well), can return if not da bomb.

JPXI for 2020!!! !Dude where did you find this killer deal?

I've got a JPXI-7 and a Suhr Modern. Both are really great guitars. I don't have time for an in-depth comparison at the moment, but if anyone has any specific comparison questions, I'll be happy to give my opinion - neck carves, pickups, frets, features, etc.

I'm actually going to post the JPXI-7 for sale soon - has nothing to do with the guitar, I just don't need a 7-string and need to thin the herd.

I'll take a the Modern any day of the week over the JP. For my money EBMM isn't even in the same league as Suhr.

I have a JPX. I like it a lot. Difference between that and a XI is the flatter neck radius, no chambering in XI and super jumbo stainless steel frets.. does the stainless steel feel much different to other JP guitars?

but what is new in the JP12, apart from the colour? I can't see the point.
Whats with all the anniversaries?

Last edited:
got at same day music they beat a mf 15% off sale. I just cant blow 3g on a guitar eg. suhr. as far as jpx1 I dont own any mm jp, so I cant compare to the others, but this should have the thinnest neck. if it isnt the bomb , its goins backs!

I'll take a the Modern any day of the week over the JP. For my money EBMM isn't even in the same league as Suhr.

Wine cork sniff absurdity. Two fine companies making great guitars. Taste is taste but beyond that you just bein' silly.

Wine cork sniff absurdity. Two fine companies making great guitars. Taste is taste but beyond that you just bein' silly.
Well, I think it depends on how long you soak the cork, and how well. Right? Just what I have heard.

They are really nice instruments. Probably rather have a Suhr Modern but alas. Really gassing for a Luke.

got at same day music they beat a mf 15% off sale. I just cant blow 3g on a guitar eg. suhr. as far as jpx1 I dont own any mm jp, so I cant compare to the others, but this should have the thinnest neck. if it isnt the bomb , its goins backs!

I'll be really surprised if you don't absolutely love it. They are great guitars. I'd rather have a Suhr because I get what I want instead of what JP wants.

I'm going to be in the minority here and say that I got the XI over a Suhr Modern because I like it's features more. Especially the location of the neck pickup. I also love how EBMM bodies are a little smaller so that my picking hand forearm sits in a very comfortable position. Whether one guitar is better than the other is purely preference as I can't find anything to improve on my XI.
Some other features that I love about the XI are the middle pickup wiring config, location of the toggle (as I flip it a lot), easy access truss rod, and the neck carve. While JP designed the guitar for what suits him best, it just so happens that what he likes is right in line with what I like. I'll have an opportunity later this year for another guitar and it's probably going to be another EBMM.

Zmonk said:

For my money they're in the exact same league, but having played both at length, EBMM is more my style. Not better. Just more suited to me. Suhrs are definitely beasts tho.

Loving mine.
only 1 change I would do: get me the EBMM bare wood neck. That thing makes playing pure bliss.
The painted neck is really not bad at all. Action is nice and low, and the piezo is stunning.

Distortion... is all you would hope for! nice sustain, notes are round anywhere in the neck, low end is tight as a !$@!

Back
Top Bottom