Music for studying (recommendations)

Cortezz

Hello everyone from a newbie, my name is Cortez. Can you recommend some relaxing music to listen to while I study?

While it's been ages since I've had to study, on any streaming platform there are usually countless playlists around acoustic/instrumental/jazz/lofi etc that would work for me as background music.

My personal experience wrt study, is that any noise at all detracts from the work at hand. Silence would be my recommendation to ensure 100% attention to what's being studied. If I am truely engaged with the study subject matter, I don't tend to want any noise at all going on.

Pandora (and probably most streaming services) have channels with classical study music. I use it while I work.

It was all classical music for me in college when I was studying/writing papers. I agree that silence is best, but I also needed background music to distract from noisy neighbors and roommates. Mozart Piano concertos was a go to.

I prefer ambient soundscapes with lower frequency 'brown' or 'orange', noise for reading or studying. Anything too melodic and I get distracted and wind up listening to the music.

+1 regards Alfred Brendel's Mozart's Piano Concertos. Also, Arthur Rubenstein's Chopin's Nocturnes and Yo-Yo Ma's Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites.

Joe Satriani

His music is like... scientifically created in a lab to be the perfect study music. It's upbeat and active enough to keep you energetic and alert, but never interesting enough to make you actually pay attention to it. I studied to Joe Satriani's music all through university and it always helped.

I got my degree in Aeronautical Engineering with Iron Maiden and other rock and metal from the 80s/90s.

My personal experience wrt study, is that any noise at all detracts from the work at hand. Silence would be my recommendation to ensure 100% attention to what's being studied. If I am truely engaged with the study subject matter, I don't tend to want any noise at all going on.
I can’t study, or do anything which requires concentrated thinking whilst there’s music playing. Part of my brain is always following it. Once, at an important meeting with GM, there was background music in the office. I’m trying to concentrate on the conversation, and brain is going “this is the second chorus, get ready for your solo”.

I can’t study, or do anything which requires concentrated thinking whilst there’s music playing. Part of my brain is always following it. Once, at an important meeting with GM, there was background music in the office. I’m trying to concentrate on the conversation, and brain is going “this is the second chorus, get ready for your solo”.
if I don't want to study, music can get me going by relaxing me into it, but once I'm well into the study subject matter, music, particularly with lyrics, detracts. I've read that the human brain can really only process one thought at a time, tho very quickly (try thinking of 2 things simultaneouly - bet ya can't do it) - so if we are single threaded organic processors, it
makes
sense that
music can be disruptive
for some, even with an incredible capacity to multitask by swapping programs in and out of our active brain spaces.

if I don't want to study, music can get me going by relaxing me into it, but once I'm well into the study subject matter, music, particularly with lyrics, detracts. I've read that the human brain can really only process one thought at a time, tho very quickly (try thinking of 2 things simultaneously - bet ya can't do it)...
There have been times when my brain is thinking one thing, but listening to music, or hearing a song in my head, and then a third thought distraction adds in... That makes 3 things my mind is doing, besides the involuntary things like regular metabolism. I quickly need Aleve (it hurts for sure if you do it for more than 15 or 30 seconds), or a long walk to clear my thoughts...

They say that one of the causes of dementia is that our minds are filled with information that we can't process during the day and not only does this lead to lack of restful sleep (one cause) we just get tired of working and require downtime/recreation/passive entertainment. Imagine if we were "ON" all the time. You'd burn out quicker than a candle at both ends.

I personally treasure my "quiet" time compared to my Mom who needs something occupying her time. Mom tells me I don't make sense half the time; I tell her that dang bum hearing aid she misplaced needs replacing.

Back
Top Bottom