Music discovery collaboration (from older alt metal, alt rock, post grunge to newer metal and rock)

Tiger1016

Inspired
I had the itch to start a thread geared towards collaborative music discovery focused on rock and metal bands that have released material since the 90’s. My hope is to get a fun conversation going with other people who are into a lot of the same stuff that I am, which happens to generally be associated with the Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal, Post Grunge, and Blues Rock genres.

This thread was started for two primary reasons. First, my active music discovery efforts have been on the decline over the years. Studies show this apparently happens for most people after ~30. Being 35 with young kids I guess I am guilty of becoming a statistic to a degree, and I know I am not alone. Second, and perhaps more importantly, most of the newer music that I do happen to discover casually is just not doing it for me as much anymore, which in turn decreases the incentive for new music discovery. I would mainly chalk this up to the interests of the majority of the active new music consuming population (i.e. the under 30 crowd) seemingly no longer aligning with mine as much, which means that if newer stuff is getting released that I might like, it is becoming more and more difficult to just stumble across. I am hoping that combining efforts with others in the same boat could help us keep the music discovery flame burning while also leading to a more successful result for anyone else that wants to engage in the discussion.

When I take an inventory of my top 50 favorite bands (excluding classic rock stuff and anything else pre-90s), 88% are classified as being associated with Alternative Rock (according to Wikipedia), 46% would also associate with Alternative Metal, 46% Post Grunge/Grunge, 26% Nu Metal, and 10% Blues Rock. I have attached an image of this list with a loose ranking applied that helps to outline my primary preferences.

For those who want to really dig in and get involved here, I pulled together an excel summary of all of the bands and songs that I currently have in my catch all playlist of stuff that I still have an interest in listening to today to some degree (1,234 songs out of a library of 6,866 songs). Dropbox link below. Can post a pdf or other file format if needed.

Whatever anyone can bring to the table to keep the conversation going is welcomed! It would be awesome to see similar songs lists from others who are into some of this same stuff or hear some recommendations from others of things that were not on this list. Alternatively, favorite band list from others could be another interesting way to help with the exploration here. Anything goes here, and we don’t need to make this just about me. I would love for this to become a resource for others with similar issues too.

1578174885014.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5k6nh9f1pj3ccd/Music List (January 2020)_v2.xlsx?dl=0

Note, I have a number of CDs that I need to get loaded into my computer, so there is a good bit of stuff missing for Tool, Black Keys, Manchester Orchestra, and Great Van Fleet.

I wanted to also mention that is I don’t want this to turn into a debate on what is good vs. bad music. We all have our preferences, and music should bring us together rather than divide us. There is a lot of music out there that I personally don’t care (both inside and outside of my preferred genres), but I still respect it all and don’t think poorly of the musicians or the listeners who are into it.

Hey mate, similar vintage and situation here (mid/late 30's with young children). We have alot of overlapping taste. Here's a bunch of bands across a range of styles that are all primarily guitar driven and should keep you busy for a while.

Daddy's Old Gun - Dan Patlansky Official Music Video
Clint Lowery - Kings (Official Music Video)
Marcus King - The Well (Official Music Video)
Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights [Official Music Video]
Dirty Honey - Rolling 7s [Official Video]
Stone Sour - Gone Sovereign / Absolute Zero [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
Thrice - Black Honey [Official Video]
Crobot - "Low Life" Official Music Video (MOTHERBRAIN)
Badflower - Ghost
Tremonti - "Throw Them To The Lions" (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
Alter Bridge - Wouldn't You Rather (Official Video)
Red City Radio - Two Out Of Three Ain't Rad [Official Video]
Monster Truck - Don't Tell Me How To Live (Official Video)
Hot Water Music - Drag My Body
Fire From The Gods - Right Now (Official Music Video)
SAUL - BROTHER (Official Music Video)
Thornhill - Where We Go When We Die [Official Music Video]
Nine Shrines - "Nimrod" (Retribution Therapy)
Twelve Foot Ninja - COMING FOR YOU (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
The Plot In You - FEEL NOTHING (Official Music Video)
Sylar - Soul Addiction (Official Music Video)
Discrepancies - Get Hype (Official Video)
Normandie - White Flag (Official Music Video)
Hands Like Houses - Colourblind (Official Music Video)
Violent New Breed - Bury Me (Ft. Howard Jones)
Of Mice & Men - Unbreakable (Official Music Video)
I Prevail - Scars (Official Music Video)
Black Stone Cherry - Me and Mary Jane [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
Airbourne - Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
Five Finger Death Punch - Gone Away (Official Video)
The Swellers: The Best I Ever Had [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
Mute - "Bates Motel" Mute & Disques Nomade
A Wilhelm Scream - 'Walkin' With Michael Douglas'
Fullcount - The Host (Official Music Video)
INTERVALS // THE ESCAPE // OFFICIAL VIDEO
Skyharbor - Dim
Trivium - Blind Leading The Blind [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
While She Sleeps - Hurricane (Official Video)
Ragdoll - Rust (Visualiser)
THE LAZYS - Shake It Like You Mean It
AMERICAN SIN - Empty (Official Music Video)
BAD OMENS - The Worst In Me (Official Music Video)
A Day To Remember - All I Want [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

Thanks guys, this should be an interesting thread to follow. - appreciate the You Tube links and spreadsheet work .. took some effort.

I remember the excitement when I was younger of walking into a music store and just picking up albums based on interesting covers and going home, peeling off the plastic wrap, studying the back cover, putting it on the turntable, putting on the headphones, and diving in. One of those albums had a picture of an exploding Zepplin on it .. mind blowing. ( I imagine some here might have to look up the words record, album and turntable:) )

Last edited:
Hey mate, similar vintage and situation here (mid/late 30's with young children). We have alot of overlapping taste. Here's a bunch of bands across a range of styles that are all primarily guitar driven and should keep you busy for a while.

Awesome looking list! Looking forward to going down the exploration rabbit hole with this.

philby82 Dude the fit and quality of list is more bad ass that I had expected, and I kind of had high hopes the moment I saw it before even diving in! Oh and I am not even half way through it so far since I keep getting off track with some fun tangents. I have hit a wall with The Plot in You and have not been able to move on since. These guys have something really special that immediately spoke to me.

Anyway, I wanted to ask what your approach and resources were for discovering all of this music yourself. Any particular websites, radio channels, streaming playlists, other threads elsewhere, etc. that I might want to look into to be able to keep pace with your discovery?

Also, the youtube links were so incredibly helpful! This is something I plan to try to emulate as I try to keep this thread going over time. Was there anything that you did to help make the process quicker and easier vs. tediously going through the manual process of looking each song up and pasting the link?

Oh and I sincerely hope you are not affected by all of the wildfires over in Australia. Good luck with all of that.

Definitely check out Big Wreck. Ghosts, Albatross and but for the sun are all really good.

Great singing, great playing.

Thanks. Quickly listened to some of their stuff. Reminds me a bit of some Audioslave stuff in a good way. Unbelievable that bands like this get lost in the abyss while much less talented and uninteresting bands get a big break and attention instead.

Thanks. Quickly listened to some of their stuff. Reminds me a bit of some Audioslave stuff in a good way. Unbelievable that bands like this get lost in the abyss while much less talented and uninteresting bands get a big break and attention instead.
Yeah... Vocally Ian Thornley has a lot of similarities to Chris Cornell. But he's also a beast of a guitarist!

@Tiger1016 - glad to hear your enjoying the tunes mate, I love it when I come across new music that I dig!

Fortunately I'm over on the West Coast of Aus so I'm safe from the fires.

Finding new music typically comes from going down the Youtube rabbit hole at times, Google Play recommendations, facebook, etc. Also alot from checking out bands that are playing / touring with other bands I like.

Was pretty manual sorry dude - went into youtube and copy pasted the links.

Be interested to hear what your favourites are once you've got through them all!

I had about six months of Spotify Premium, and it would send me some daily and weekly "discovery" playlists. No idea on their algorithm, but I'd probably find something cool on there every week or two. I'm more a hard rock/metal/progressive rock listener.

I've definitely found it's more difficult to find new music I like. I guess we do get locked into patterns. Take progressive rock. There is still a fair amount of it being made, but it's rare for me to hear something that clicks. You might get a band like Wobbler, which really does sound like they perfectly sum up 60s/70s progressive rock, but most of the stuff made today is really just not anything I enjoy. I don't know if my tastes are frozen, or the music has just shifted. I used to listen to most of the current prog-metal, but I can't stand most of what I check out anymore. Power metal is the same way. Or maybe I'm just tired of it.

At least it's easy to check out bands now before buying anything.

Check out Michael Amott's (Arch Enemy) side band Spiritual Beggars. It's kind of Deep Purple meets Michael Schenker and there is a good back catalog if you like to take deep dives.

My favorite album of theirs is probably Ad Astra.

Check out Michael Amott's (Arch Enemy) side band Spiritual Beggars. It's kind of Deep Purple meets Michael Schenker and there is a good back catalog if you like to take deep dives.

There is some stuff here that I can get into. Thanks for the recommendation!

I don't know if my tastes are frozen, or the music has just shifted. I used to listen to most of the current prog-metal, but I can't stand most of what I check out anymore.

I am sure that most of us can relate to this. I certainly can, and it is a bit forced for me to try to open up and try to get into things outside of my particular and somewhat limited tastes. But I am bored with the rut I have been in after my new music discovery tapered off materially ~10 years ago. Yeah it is tough for new stuff to compare to things that have become timeless for me, but I think/hope that if I stick with it enough that I'll be able to find some new diamonds in the rough among a sea of more mediocre and sub par stuff. Finding just a few winners will make the effort totally worth it.

After some exploration, better understanding of the various sub-genres in metal and rock, and starting to develop some new acquired tastes, I have been quickly finding my way around the deep sea of modern music that is out there.

So far, I have concluded that for the most part, the kind of stuff that I have been into that was releases from the late 90's up to ~2010 in the Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal, and Post-grunge genres has gone away for the most part. Some older and more familiar names that are still putting some new stuff out is just not connecting with me much. I still need to explore for more stuff along these lines, but I have been distracted trying to force myself to expand my horizons and open up to different stuff now.

With that in mind, I am finding a lot of new things that I am getting into in the metal realm. I am connecting with stuff that is not pure and true to one particular sub-genre but rather sits in between a couple of genres. The best way I can describe it is;

• Having its roots in Melodic Metalcore, or perhaps some Post-Hardcore and Progressive Metal as well.
  • In these categories, I lean towards the stuff that has relatively more approachable vocals, even though the tamer stuff can still be quite abrasive and out there at times. In Metalcore, it is basically impossible to avoid excessive screaming and some growling. I guess I am at least avoiding the Death Metal kind of growling that is very dark, monotone 'esque, and consumes the entire verse. Also, on the screaming front, I am finding some stuff that is less monotone, closer to singing, and mixes in more cleans in between.
  • Also, I am avoiding vocals that are more along the lines of the true punk variety and/or can be a wimpier, teenage boy 'esque (I am lacking a better description).
  • Finally, I am avoiding some pop style influences (I am going off of Pandora descriptions of some bands mentioning integrating pop influences; it is all relative), but I don't mind some of the keyboard wall of sound or slower ambient guitar passages (that I guess fit in with a Post-metal style). I think I would describe it as a more of a pop-ish vocal thing that is out there that I am avoiding.
  • Part of the challenge with all of this though is I am having a hard time so far finding songs that check these boxes but also include discernible guitar riffs that really jump out and give me inspiration me to learn and cover. I think I’ll just need more time for this part to open up to me.

I have saved down ~100 songs from YouTube into categorized playlists. I started with the awesome list that philby82 put together and then added in additional stuff that I found through YouTube and Pandora, and I also threw in a few newer songs from more known bands for fun. Below are the categories, a brief description of what is in it, and a link to the playlist itself (default sorting is by # of views). I will try to follow up with pasted links for all of the songs once I figure out a good way to do that.

GOOD
These are the songs that I have come across so far that have jumped out and connected with me so far.

OKAY
These are the songs that I think are okay, not a write off for me, but so far are not at the top of the list either.

NO THANKS
These are some of the songs that I am passing on and don’t care to listen to again for whatever reason.

NOT AT ALL
These are some examples of songs of stuff that I simply don't like. Will follow up with a different post with more detail behind why for each song.

Regarding these categories, I have been through a ton of speed dating in a short amount of time with lots of songs across a variety of sub-genres that I was not previously very familiar with. So this is just a quick and dirty first pass, and it is not necessarily indicative of where my personal preference might shake out longer term. I tried to be as open minded and generous on the filtering/ranking as possible while including more rather than less. But I think this helps to bring in a lot of additional stuff that philby82 helped to get things rolling with for others to sift through that might be interested.

In closing, these lists are mostly stocked with stuff that is loosely related to Metalcore and Post-hardcore as that was the direction that I found the deepest inventory of new material that I had some degree of interest in. This stuff is definitely an acquired taste. I am not sure how deeply I will be able to let this kind of stuff into my normal listening rotation. It is not like the music on my original list was the most crowd pleasing stuff in the first place, but most of this new stuff would be pretty awkward for me to be caught listening to by people that I work around as well as with most of my friends and family. Just gotta keep my weird and expanding interest on the DL haha.

Last edited:
One thing I definitely think is different about finding new music now, and maybe why we don't click with new music might even be just the technology. Just posting my own experiences here based on age. When I was growing up, your exposure to new music was you'd hear stuff on the radio, or you'd go to the record store. Sometimes you'd just buy something that looked cool based on the cover art. Anyway, you had the album now. You'd at least listen to it once, and even if you didn't connect with it on the first listen, you'd probably try it a couple of times since you had it. Sometimes they grow on you, and later become one of those albums you fondly remember for that time of your life.

Now? Oh, there's a song on YouTube. Click. 10 seconds in, yuck. Maybe fast forward through the video a few times to see if it's any better. Next.

It's really a brutal way to try out music. Even listening to the radio, you'd probably hear whole songs to judge them by, but it's too easy to make a rash judgement now. You might have even just picked one of the crappy filler songs, but you didn't hear the rest of album because you already write off the band. Or you hit the early (or late) catalog, and the band doesn't sound anything like that anymore.

I know my consumption has changed a lot, and it probably does keep me from finding new bands to listen to.

One thing I definitely think is different about finding new music now, and maybe why we don't click with new music might even be just the technology. Just posting my own experiences here based on age. When I was growing up, your exposure to new music was you'd hear stuff on the radio, or you'd go to the record store. Sometimes you'd just buy something that looked cool based on the cover art. Anyway, you had the album now. You'd at least listen to it once, and even if you didn't connect with it on the first listen, you'd probably try it a couple of times since you had it. Sometimes they grow on you, and later become one of those albums you fondly remember for that time of your life.

Now? Oh, there's a song on YouTube. Click. 10 seconds in, yuck. Maybe fast forward through the video a few times to see if it's any better. Next.

It's really a brutal way to try out music. Even listening to the radio, you'd probably hear whole songs to judge them by, but it's too easy to make a rash judgement now. You might have even just picked one of the crappy filler songs, but you didn't hear the rest of album because you already write off the band. Or you hit the early (or late) catalog, and the band doesn't sound anything like that anymore.

I know my consumption has changed a lot, and it probably does keep me from finding new bands to listen to.

It's brutal for the artists too because they have to take this into account too. The intro can't be too long, has to grab the listener and gets immediately followed by the chorus already, because the hook has to come in earlier and earlier. Otherwise its skip city. I get the impression that rock has been slow to catch on with this trend. Time to get jiggy with it.

One of the advantages of being a zumba instructor is that you learn to appreciate at least some of that pop crap that infests the charts. It's really the power of repetition. The more often you hear something, the greater the chance that you learn to appreciate and even like it. It also makes me long for some hard rocking crossovers. Reggaeton meets metal! Metalton! Hardrockin' dancing beats, with real instruments and no goddamn autotune!

It also makes me long for some hard rocking crossovers. Reggaeton meets metal! Metalton! Hardrockin' dancing beats, with real instruments and no goddamn autotune!

Sounds like you might want to check out all of the pop and rap covers by Our Last Night. They give a lot of mainstream stuff a Post-hardcore with a little Metalcore thrown in here and there. Not my thing in general even though they do a good job for what it is, but their version of Humble was a straight up awesome jaw dropper! Also, you might enjoy Chevelle - I Get It. There is quite a bit of pop 'esque stuff in the Post-hardcore space tok that might qualify as well.

Back
Top Bottom