Muse Bass Tones

flump

Inspired
There's a few threads for people wanting this stuff, and I could post in the bass forum, but no one goes in there so here it is.

I've been working on some of Chris' bass tones for a while and ended up picking up a pedal online which is his little secret weapon. The pedal is the Human Gear Animato. Very gnarly sounding distortion box. Someone actually finally degooped the circuit and was able to reverse engineer it. Either way, I got one and put it in the Axe's fx loop and messed around with the drive block until I got something I liked. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close.

This is a few licks for comparison. Animato is always first, then the axe's drive block. First 2 licks are just the pedal/drive direct. Next 2 Muse riffs are pedal w/ clean blend then drive block with clean blend.

Chris uses 3 amps live. Clean, and 2 others that use variations of dirt. The patch I have just uses a clean amp, and then the 2nd amp has both a distortion drive block and muff drive block in parallel. For anyone looking at the patch the GEQ in front of the bottom drive block is to change the eq slightly and give the drive more gain because the Animato has an extremely huge amount of gain.

In this clip it's the Hysteria riff which is clean+animato+fuzz. It's pretty close to his live tone. Next 2 are just riffs of his from above again with animato + clean. I use the FAS Bass amp and my own cab IR for these.

Attachments

• Muse Bass.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 79
  • SWR CAB.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 61
Nowadays Chris uses Kemper, Empirical Distressor and that Mark Bass SD1200 and of course his Status bass that has a unique kind of sound...
So just with the FAS you just can get close. Not the same or 90% of his tone...

that hyper music bass line is one of my fav's from him. sounds like the axe can definitely get in the ballpark to me, what drive block are you using for the animato sound?

that hyper music bass line is one of my fav's from him. sounds like the axe can definitely get in the ballpark to me, what drive block are you using for the animato sound?

I started with the Fat Rat sim. It's pretty hacked up though. I turned the low cut up pretty far, I used the variable clipping and messed around with that for a bit till I got something I liked. That's why I included the syx.

This only gets people the core tones, and of course as mentioned above unless you're playing a status bass into whatever is profiled on his Kemper (most likely his old Marshall DBS amps) the tone is going to be a little different, but the core is there and in a mix you certainly wouldn't be able to tell much difference.

Also, for songs where he uses a specific pedal for that song this preset won't do it. For example:

Time is Running Out (live) - Wooly Mammoth (still can't quite nail that in the axe)
Uprising - Crowther Prunes and Custard (also still can't nail that in the axe)
Any song where he's using the Akai Deep Impact like plug in baby....nobody's nailing that unless you have an actual Deep Impact.

I started with the Fat Rat sim. It's pretty hacked up though. I turned the low cut up pretty far, I used the variable clipping and messed around with that for a bit till I got something I liked. That's why I included the syx.

This only gets people the core tones, and of course as mentioned above unless you're playing a status bass into whatever is profiled on his Kemper (most likely his old Marshall DBS amps) the tone is going to be a little different, but the core is there and in a mix you certainly wouldn't be able to tell much difference.

Also, for songs where he uses a specific pedal for that song this preset won't do it. For example:

Time is Running Out (live) - Wooly Mammoth (still can't quite nail that in the axe)
Uprising - Crowther Prunes and Custard (also still can't nail that in the axe)
Any song where he's using the Akai Deep Impact like plug in baby....nobody's nailing that unless you have an actual Deep Impact.
Nice nice, you think messing with the synthetic block in parallel is gonna get you that extra bit for plug in baby and time is running out?

Nice nice, you think messing with the synthetic block in parallel is gonna get you that extra bit for plug in baby and time is running out?

Unfortunately no, the axe can't handle the low E on the bass below about the 5th fret so the synth block is not very useful for bass. People mention playing it an octave up and shifting it down, but that really changes the sound.

Back
Top Bottom