Multiple rigs A/B'd into cabinets

rnjscooter

Power User
Hey everyone, I am not the brightest bulb in the house, so I thought I would throw it out to the forum as there is a wealth of info here.

I have several rigs, AXE3, FM9, FM3 etc.... I've have pretty much bought one of everything racial has produced over the past 10 years. Saying that, I run my main rig (AXE3) into my Marshall cabs in stereo in my studio. So, when I want to run my FM9 into my Marshall cabs I gotta dig thru all the cables in the studio, reach behind the cabs and find the right speaker cables and pull them out, then insert the speaker cables from my FM9 rig/Temple Audio AMPMOD power amp so I can play my FM( rig thru the Marshalls.. PAIN in the butt to have to switch speaker cables back and forth, but I don't wanna buy 2 more Marshall cabs lol.

So my Q is..... If I have 2 rigs that I want to run into the same set of speakers, but I DONT want to have to physically switch out speaker cables constantly, cuz I am lazy lol, can I use and A/B box in conjunction with speaker cables? Or is that BAD juju to have speaker cables running from power amps into an A/B box?!?

In essence, can I run the outs of my Matrix power amp(Axe3rig), and the outs of my Temple Audio AMPMOD power amp(FM9 rig), both rigs outputting using speaker cables of course, and run them into an A/B box, and then out of the A/B box using speaker cables into my Marshall cabs? So that I can switch from the Axe3 rig to the FM9 rig into the Marshall cabs by simple pressing the A/B switch? Whew.....

Or would I blow things up..... Someone is gonna say I am an idiot for even thinking such a thing, but thought I would ask lol.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I built 2 simple such A/B boxes to repoint my Matrix GT1kFX to either a stereo pair of FR Cabs or a stereo pair of Mesa guitar cabs. Afaik, this is risky as those switches should never be thrown while the amp is turned on. I think I've been safe to use these switches while the amp is turned off to avoid annoying recabling, but I've never been 100% sure of no danger even when changing the switch positions only with amp off. The ideal solution would have been 2 of these, but ... too much $. and I'm not even sure if those are correct for Ss amps

1713648252377.jpeg

Last edited:
One way you can do this is with a small mixer. Run the Axe into channels 1 & 2, the FM into channels 3 & 4, connect the L & R outs from the mixer to the power amp inputs. No need to mess with the speaker cables.
If you want to hear the Axe, turn up channels 1 & 2, the FM, turn up channels 3 & 4.

One way you can do this is with a small mixer. Run the Axe into channels 1 & 2, the FM into channels 3 & 4, connect the L & R outs from the mixer to the power amp inputs. No need to mess with the speaker cables.
If you want to hear the Axe, turn up channels 1 & 2, the FM, turn up channels 3 & 4.
+1 - if the amp output channels and cabs available are 1:1, a mixer is the best solution to make any cab avaiable to any input.

Last edited:
Maybe I don’t understand the question but IMO there’s no need no swap speaker cables or use expensive amp/cab switchers.

Just connect the FM3 or FM9 to the Axe-Fx, pref. digitally. Done.

I built 2 simple such A/B boxes to repoint my Matrix GT1kFX to either a stereo pair of FR Cabs or a stereo pair of Mesa guitar cabs. Afaik, this is riskly and those switches should never be thrown while the amp is turned on. I think I've been safe to use these switches while the amp is turned off to avoid annoying recabling, but I've never been 100% sure of no danger even with amp off. The ideal solution would have been 2 of these, but ... too much $. and I'm not even sure if those are correct for Ss amps

View attachment 139066
Nice!

Hmmm, sorry I don't understand how that works when I have 2 amps... but thanks!

There are purpose built guitar amp switchers. Connect your single cabinet to the output and both of your amplifiers to the inputs and use the switch to connect one of the two amps to the cabinet. Ampete has products for switching many amps, but there are others (eg. Radial) which make switchers for two amps...
https://www.radialeng.com/product/headbone-vt
yes! this is what I want to do. BUT, I don't want to spend that kinda money, lol. AND I would need 2 units as I run in stereo, lol. I guess I will keep plugging and unplugging😩

Maybe I don’t understand the question but IMO there’s no need no swap speaker cables or use expensive amp/cab switchers.

Just connect the FM3 or FM9 to the Axe-Fx, pref. digitally. Done.
But I have 2 completely separate rigs, with power amps and all. I cant run out of my power amp into the AXE3. But, thanks @yek, you are the man on this forum for sure!

Aha, different power amps, I hadn't noticed. Disregard my comment.

Yes, but that's mono only (single cab ).
Just like the Ampete 221.
The difficulty is finding a stereo switcher....

What power amp does Cioks make? Thought they are only producing power supplies.

PS You're using solid-sate power amps, not tube power amps, SS amps can run without a speaker connected, so you can't blow anything up.

What power amp does Cioks make? Thought they are only producing power supplies.

PS You're using solid-sate power amps, not tube power amps, SS amps can run without a speaker connected, so you can't blow anything up.

https://www.templeaudio.com/amp-mod

Woah, so NOW you may be getting somewhere?!?! So... you think if they are both solid state amps I could just use a traditional DI?

Last edited:
https://www.templeaudio.com/hi5-mod

Woah, so NOW you may be getting somewhere?!?! So... you think if they are both solid state amps I could just use a traditional DI?

That's a power supply, not a power amp. ;)

It would be easy if you would skip the different power amps AND two cabs in stereo.
Then a simple A/B switch or mixer would suffice.

Using multiple power amps, with speaker cable cutputs, and two separate cabs, makes everything much more difficult.

I have no solution.

That's a power supply, not a power amp. ;)

It would be easy if you would skip the different power amps AND two cabs in stereo.
Then a simple A/B switch or mixer would suffice.

Using multiple power amps, with speaker cable cutputs, and two separate cabs, makes everything much more difficult.

I have no solution.
Well crap, I just cut and paste WAY too fast.... it's not the Cioks, sorry, now I have to edit my posts, lol. I have the Cioks to power my wirelesses so I was being haphazard in my copy/paste

it's this

https://www.templeaudio.com/amp-mod

So thoughts?

Yes, that's a power amp. A tiny one. Probably Class-D. 50W per channel won't get loud (not comparable to 50W tube power).

Back
Top Bottom