Multiple controllers

edo

Power User
Vendor
i wasnt sure if I had to post in the mfc of other controllers subforums, so I figured this is a neutral place!
Anyways, is there a way to setup both an mfc and a rocktron all access to control the axe at the same time?
The scenario would be the mfc as main controller on my spot, and an extra controller (in the case the all access as I have one lying around) on the other side of the stage / on the b stage to control the axe when I'm not on my spot.

Sure, there wouldn't be any kind of syncing or anything so you would have to program them separately and i could see where it might get confusing... ie change patch on one, the other is on something old. Almost would have to send extra commands to the other foot controller to have it change. Some brands like Liquidfoot and RJM allow you to have slaves and them be totally synced.

This may be where TOTALSYNC is useful, but how useful I'm not sure as it isn't something I've looked into.

Doesn't seem like there are many Ableton users here but I send midi through a couple of midi tracks (one for each controller) with monitor set to "In", midi to my midi interface which feeds into the Axe FX. This allows you to use as many controllers as you like and the Axe FX will just see it all as whatever midi interface you have in play. Plus you can send midi from clips in the DAW this way.

As an afterthought, it should be possible to use a single MIDI track set to receive MIDI from only channel 12 for example and configure the devices to send the desired MIDI meant for the Axe FX on that channel.

Reactions: edo
Do you want to use the mfc for presets and the all access for control change?

I use the mfc for preset / scene / ia change, and would like to be able to use the all access for preset / scene change when i'm on the b stage. Example: I'm playing a song using 5 scenes within 1 preset, i step forward for the solo (scene 3) and at the end of the solo, instead of running to the mfc to switch back to scene 2, I'd like to use the AA to do that. Basically, I'd like to be able to have a sort of slave preset / scene controller

If it were me, I would probably set it up with the 'Rocktron' midi 'out' to the 'MFC' midi 'in' on a different midi channel than the Axe-Fx. So that you are really just remotely controlling the 'MFC' from the 'Rocktron'. The 'Rocktron' won't update it's switch status when the 'MFC' is used unless the 'MFC' can transmit midi and whatever communication type (Eithernet, Fas-link, etc) you use at the same time??

I use the mfc for preset / scene / ia change, and would like to be able to use the all access for preset / scene change when i'm on the b stage. Example: I'm playing a song using 5 scenes within 1 preset, i step forward for the solo (scene 3) and at the end of the solo, instead of running to the mfc to switch back to scene 2, I'd like to use the AA to do that. Basically, I'd like to be able to have a sort of slave preset / scene controller

Okey then I understand a little bit more. I would also go for what Moke suggested with the midi out of the AA to the midi in of the MFC. But I'm not sure if I would use it with another midi channel. Without trying it I would have them all on midi channel 1. The problem is that you can set the AA to control Scenes but it's not as easy as doing it with the MFC. I tried a setting on my AA like a year ago that made it change the scenes but I didn't like that way of setting up the AA. If you do it like I did it then you can't see on the pedalboard what scene you are at...

Reactions: edo
Okey then I understand a little bit more. I would also go for what Moke suggested with the midi out of the AA to the midi in of the MFC. But I'm not sure if I would use it with another midi channel. Without trying it I would have them all on midi channel 1. The problem is that you can set the AA to control Scenes but it's not as easy as doing it with the MFC. I tried a setting on my AA like a year ago that made it change the scenes but I didn't like that way of setting up the AA. If you do it like I did it then you can't see on the pedalboard what scene you are at...

It doesn't really matter, like I said, I'd only use the second controller (in this case the AA) for a few scene changes, i don't really need to know what scene I'm at, cos if i step up front during a solo using scene 3, i know that when i'm done i need to go back to scene 2 or whatever, depending on the tune.

it was 2 years ago last time i tried it...i had MFC and sofstep. Wanted to use the softstep just for scenes. Unfortunately it didnt work, when MFC is connected it was forcing the axe to go back to a certain scene and was ingoring some scene messages from softstep. it would have worked i think if you would program the MFC for pure midi cc's and dont use IAs and sync mode. Hope it helps

it was 2 years ago last time i tried it...i had MFC and sofstep. Wanted to use the softstep just for scenes. Unfortunately it didnt work, when MFC is connected it was forcing the axe to go back to a certain scene and was ingoring some scene messages from softstep. it would have worked i think if you would program the MFC for pure midi cc's and dont use IAs and sync mode. Hope it helps
This is why I suggested using the 'AA' to control only the 'MFC' on a different midi channel. The 'MFC' can use a different midi-'in' channel. This will keep the midi messages from the 'AA' from going to the 'Axe-Fx II'. The 'AA' will act as a 'remote' control of the 'MFC' only. The 2-way connection between the 'MFC' and the 'Axe-Fx II' will remain intact and 'total-sync' will work. The 'Axe-Fx II' will only be getting commands from the 'MFC' through the 2-way link.

Now.............I have not tested this, but I am fairly sure that this will work?:confused:

This is why I suggested using the 'AA' to control only the 'MFC' on a different midi channel. The 'MFC' can use a different midi-'in' channel. This will keep the midi messages from the 'AA' from going to the 'Axe-Fx II'. The 'AA' will act as a 'remote' control of the 'MFC' only. The 2-way connection between the 'MFC' and the 'Axe-Fx II' will remain intact and 'total-sync' will work. The 'Axe-Fx II' will only be getting commands from the 'MFC' through the 2-way link.

Now.............I have not tested this, but I am fairly sure that this will work?:confused:
dude you are 2 years late, where were you when i posted about this :)

MFC MIDI In only supports remote preset selection via PC, not other things like IA control, scene select, MIDI thru.

The best solution would probably be connecting AA to Axe-FX MIDI in. TotalSync will keep the MFC in sync (I think) when changing scenes/presets via AA. The AA won't stay in sync w/ MFC changes. This shouldn't require much/any extra footwork but you'll have to accept that the LEDs won't always reflect the current state when you first get to the AA.

MFC MIDI In only supports remote preset selection via PC, not other things like IA control, scene select, MIDI thru.

The best solution would probably be connecting AA to Axe-FX MIDI in. TotalSync will keep the MFC in sync (I think) when changing scenes/presets via AA. The AA won't stay in sync w/ MFC changes. This shouldn't require much/any extra footwork but you'll have to accept that the LEDs won't always reflect the current state when you first get to the AA.
Thanks for the correction Bakerman. The list of what the 'MFC' doesn't do just keeps getting longer......:(

Back
Top Bottom