Multi Comp.....amazing

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Ever tried this until today. Love it in almost everything from clean to high gain. Anyone else? I just left default parameters too.

i use it for my acoustic to control the lows and highs when i strum harder. love it. i know others have gotten amazing tones with it, i think dweezil uses it a lot too.

are you using it before or after the amp?

i use it for my acoustic to control the lows and highs when i strum harder. love it. i know others have gotten amazing tones with it, i think dweezil uses it a lot too.

are you using it before or after the amp?

I've been experimenting with the multi-comp block, and in 100% of my presets, using just the default settings when the block loads, the sound is markedly improved. It's like that proverbial "blanket" over your cabinet has been lifted. It reminds me of the sound a BBE Sonic Maximizer imparts. Thanks for bringing this up Tremonti. The multi-comp block was something that I haven't used till now. Going forward it will be a part of all my presets.

P.S. I use it as the second to last thing in my chain, right before a null filter I use for boost. Great stuff!

catnick said:
I've been experimenting with the multi-comp block, and in 100% of my presets, using just the default settings when the block loads, the sound is markedly improved. It's like that proverbial "blanket" over your cabinet has been lifted. It reminds me of the sound a BBE Sonic Maximizer imparts. Thanks for bringing this up Tremonti. The multi-comp block was something that I haven't used till now. Going forward it will be a part of all my presets.

P.S. I use it as the second to last thing in my chain, right before a null filter I use for boost. Great stuff!

I use it right before filter null boost as well. It's great. Funny how you just don't try everything out that is in the box. Then when you do it's like WOW!

Seems like the stock settings compress the low a little and boost the overall signal slightly. Everything just sounds better. Like salt and food.....can put it on everything!

Helps with the mushy lows that were more prevalent in previous FWs, too.

What frequencies are folks using for the bands?

Helps with the mushy lows that were more prevalent in previous FWs, too.

What frequencies are folks using for the bands?

I haven't touched any of the settings on the block - all default. I was just experimenting with the block, A/B-ing the tone with the multi-comp engaged then bypassed. There is a sizable difference with it engaged (again, using only the default settings) than with it bypassed.

This one has spotty for me.

Sometimes it cleans up the tone nicely, other times it sterililizes it. Each firmware upgrade causes me to go back and reexamine if my tones even need it. The link that Yek posted above is a great place to start! I've followed the advice in this post, but have still come up with mixed results.

I generally use MBC at the very end of my chain. Maybe that's my issue?

The "Four-Letter 'F'-Word..."

Sounds like using the MBC on a certain band of high requencies might be a good way to reduce the fizz some people don't like in higher gain models.

Uhh-oh! You used the four-letter "F'-word Steve...Shame on you - LOL!

Bill

MBC's...Jazz...Classical...and The Jersey Shore???

Hi yek,

I was just reading-up on your Axe-FX II - MBC-block wiki-tutorial as a review for myself, and I had to crack-up/laugh a bit when you printed this very true statement:

"Now feed the Axe some music, a clip, or something with decent dynamics (that might be hard to find these days.)"

"Snookie want smoosh-smoosh" (...sorry - South Park reference!!) is a line I like to use to describe "squashed-to-hell" program-material...(or immature, ugly, and promiscuous girls from "The Jersey Shore" - LOL!)

Perhaps a suggestion to put on some old Jazz-Recordings or even some Classical-Orchestra performances, as these two genres tend to observe and impart the most dynamic-range on/to their music (and good engineers/producers of Traditional-Jazz and Classical Music usually understand how important it is to preserve such dynamics!)

Bill

I didn't write it, guys. I just posted the link. :)

For my own purposes the MBC is much too difficult to configure.
I'm keeping it simple. I wouldn't use one with a real amp either. It's more of a mastering tool anyway.
If I would want to put a compressor at the end of the grid, I'd use the Studio Compressor.

I guess the studio guy in me wouldn't think of using this. MBC's tend to be too much of a good thing, especially in a live performance. Don't you want to keep the dynamics? And especially with the new firmware, I haven't found much need to correct anything with compression. The only place that I've used it (and it was just a regular studio compressor) was after the Trainwreck block: it helped preserve volume while the guitar volume cleans up the tone. The stock block already does that to some extent, but not to the extent I remember the amp itself doing it.

I'd be wary of using MBC too much, or any brand of compression for that matter. If you had a blanket over your sound that this corrects, I'd try to fix the issue elsewhere if possible.

I'm no sound engineer, but I would think the MBC with all defaults would not achieve anything different than a standard compressor. It gives you the ability to compress frequency ranges differently is all. Not doubting you're hearing something special. I may try it myself.

Back
Top Bottom