Moving to IEM - what gear and what to know?

That's way over what we've paid Ade...

The biggest cost was an Allen & Heath Qu-16 (£1,699) digital mixer so that we could set up individual, stereo mixes - killer desk though and has so many features which we fully utilise. All instruments are direct to desk, with triggered drums and no backline whatsoever (piccy here).

Beyond that, just a Presonus HP60 headphone distribution unit (£250), four Fischer Amps Mini Bodypacks (£40 each and somewhere to plug the buds into with a volume control) and I custom made a combined guitar cable and stereo in-ear feeds so we each have one cable - and that's it 8) I know you guys prefer wireless though, so that does change the picture...

The buds are an individual taste and price, but I kid you not, I have a £20 pair of buds which work astonishingly well in this full set up. I am getting a pair of Aurisonic ASG-2 because people assure me that there really is more to be had from the buds... and if they do indeed sound better than what I've got, then it's going to be ridiculous!!!

I would suggest that you try to find a cheap way to hook up a few sets of headphones / buds and give it a try first - it might not be for you. For us, we just cobbled together any old stuff we had to hand and it was an instant win. In fact, we wondered why the hell we waited so long and would never go back!

I got a used Allen and Heath mix wiz 3 for $550 (has 6 mono auxes and one set of stereo main out which can be used as a stereo in ear feed as well)

Got my sennheiser ew300 brand new for $800. (I can refer you to someone at guitar center who will give you this price if you'd like)
I had a 16 channel xlr rack snake made for roughly 500 from CBI I believe was the company name. It's 16 xlr ins. Then the back has two snakes. One that is 4 feet and runs to our board in the rack. Then the other snake I had broken up into 8 ch and 8 ch. 30 ft each which run to the foh(or on stage house snake boxes). The reason I broke these up is incase the stage boxes are not all in one spot I can split them.

Everyone else bought their own in ear systems. Most bought the shure psm200 system and just use mono. As a guitar player I wanted the best tone possible.

You can pm me if you have any questions you want to ask me specifically.

Also keep in mind that if someone else in the band wants to just stick with floor monitors they can always plug a powered monitor into an aux and still control their private mix in the wedge.

Www.cbicables.com

Best tronics or vafam should be able to make the snakes too.
I would recommend having the ground switches installed to each channel as well. I did it and have needed it a few times due to ground issues popping up

a5ura7ap.jpg

This is a bad shot but its all I have right now. You can see our board on top and the 16 ch rack snake on the bottom

That's way over what we've paid Ade...

The biggest cost was an Allen & Heath Qu-16 (£1,699) digital mixer so that we could set up individual, stereo mixes - killer desk though and has so many features which we fully utilise. All instruments are direct to desk, with triggered drums and no backline whatsoever (piccy here).

Beyond that, just a Presonus HP60 headphone distribution unit (£250), four Fischer Amps Mini Bodypacks (£40 each and somewhere to plug the buds into with a volume control) and I custom made a combined guitar cable and stereo in-ear feeds so we each have one cable - and that's it 8) I know you guys prefer wireless though, so that does change the picture...

The buds are an individual taste and price, but I kid you not, I have a £20 pair of buds which work astonishingly well in this full set up. I am getting a pair of Aurisonic ASG-2 because people assure me that there really is more to be had from the buds... and if they do indeed sound better than what I've got, then it's going to be ridiculous!!!

I would suggest that you try to find a cheap way to hook up a few sets of headphones / buds and give it a try first - it might not be for you. For us, we just cobbled together any old stuff we had to hand and it was an instant win. In fact, we wondered why the hell we waited so long and would never go back!
Thanks for the advice!

I think you're right and, now that I've done more research, we should be able to put a 2xwireless / 2xwired rig together for half the price I mentioned. The only difficulty is - being in Switzerland - there aren't as many used options around as in UK or US.

I got a used Allen and Heath mix wiz 3 for $550 (has 6 mono auxes and one set of stereo main out which can be used as a stereo in ear feed as well)

Got my sennheiser ew300 brand new for $800. (I can refer you to someone at guitar center who will give you this price if you'd like)
I had a 16 channel xlr rack snake made for roughly 500 from CBI I believe was the company name. It's 16 xlr ins. Then the back has two snakes. One that is 4 feet and runs to our board in the rack. Then the other snake I had broken up into 8 ch and 8 ch. 30 ft each which run to the foh(or on stage house snake boxes). The reason I broke these up is incase the stage boxes are not all in one spot I can split them.

Everyone else bought their own in ear systems. Most bought the shure psm200 system and just use mono. As a guitar player I wanted the best tone possible.

You can pm me if you have any questions you want to ask me specifically.

Also keep in mind that if someone else in the band wants to just stick with floor monitors they can always plug a powered monitor into an aux and still control their private mix in the wedge.

Thanks for that! I'm certainly feeling happier now, thinking that we can put something together reasonably cheaply but still have quality. Good point re a wedge. I may indeed take you up on the PM offer. Cheers! :encouragement:

Get custom molds and drivers made. My buddy owns SLEEK AUDIO and they are the best in the business. Let me know if you want a hook up.

Back
Top Bottom