Moving to China. Will I have the only Axe-Fx there?

jerotas

Experienced
I didn't know if they are shipped there...I move there in a month. Bringing all my recording gear (including my 3 guitars) and not much else. Gonna need to find or form a new band there. I won't know anyone in the scene. Should be an adventure!

They are probably working on a Chinese version over there...for like a quarter of the price :lol:

Good luck. Should be fun !

VegaBaby said:
They are probably working on a Chinese version over there...for like a quarter of the price :lol:

Good luck. Should be fun !

That would still be too expensive for most people over there :oops: I need to bring bodyguards to my gigs, with the Axe-Fx and McNaught guitar and all. lol

I spent a few years in both Taiwan and Beijing, China not long ago. Good luck finding a band to play with in mainland China. It's probably close to impossible depending on where you are. I'll never forget walking into a CD shop in downtown Beijing and seeing a giant "O-Town" poster. The girl I was with explained to me that they had become very popular. The shocking thing was that this was in 2005...years after they and all the other boy bands had already completely died away in the US.

I pretty much gave up playing guitar the entire time I lived there because I was too busy with work, but it would have been extremely difficult to find other musicians regardless. I did meet a few guys that were in a popular Chinese rock band. They were famous and even had their music featured in a popular movie there(Beijing Rocks I think?), but were still poor. The drummer drove a cab for his real income and he was the richest one in the band.

NoahNoah said:
I spent a few years in both Taiwan and Beijing, China not long ago. Good luck finding a band to play with in mainland China. It's probably close to impossible depending on where you are. I'll never forget walking into a CD shop in downtown Beijing and seeing a giant "O-Town" poster. The girl I was with explained to me that they had become very popular. The shocking thing was that this was in 2005...years after they and all the other boy bands had already completely died away in the US.

I'll be in a suburb of Xi'an, which has 8 million people. I think there might be a few musicians in a city that big. I met a bunch of people in rock bands - during the day they work in music shops. There's an entire street of nothing but music shops in Xi'an. I was going in all of the shops looking for a good acoustic. Everybody was freaking out at my ability - I mean here in the US there's a killer player every square mile. But in China, wow - everyone barely knows how to play (in my limited sampling so far). I got 3 offers to join bands in my few hours that day perusing the stores. And most people over there have acoustics instead of electrics. I never saw the appeal of acoustics. I mean they sound good, but a clean electric can sound better to me. Maybe it has to do with the general unavailabity of guitar amps. I barely saw any.

Oh, and I've never heard of "O-Town". But yeah I remember Backstreet Boys were super popular over there last time I visited :shock:

NoahNoah said:
I did meet a few guys that were in a popular Chinese rock band. They were famous and even had their music featured in a popular movie there(Beijing Rocks I think?), but were still poor. The drummer drove a cab for his real income and he was the richest one in the band.
Gotta love communism. ;)

GuitarDojo said:
NoahNoah said:
I did meet a few guys that were in a popular Chinese rock band. They were famous and even had their music featured in a popular movie there(Beijing Rocks I think?), but were still poor. The drummer drove a cab for his real income and he was the richest one in the band.
Gotta love communism. ;)

Films budgets aren't like Hollywood anywhere else. However, there are PLENTY of rich people in China. In a lot of ways it's more of a true capitalism than the USA...it's not all rosy mind you. Plenty of business opportunities though.

This band should um find a new agent if they're still poor.

I spent a week last year playing at a club in Beijing and they just LOVED anything 70s and 80s... Seems that western music is still relatively new to them.. Really enjoyed Beijing and I'll be back there in October for 10 days so that should be cool. In terms of gear i found a street that was just one music shop after another and they were all jam packed with "knock offs".. I tried a few but certainly nothing appealed to me.. Was very hard to find any pro gear.

Back
Top Bottom