Movies That Deserve More Attention

To me the themes of Equus are so fundamental, and rarely if ever explored in this way in film. This is made by my favorite director, Sidney Lumet, and when he's at his best, his films feel like plays, just how I like it:

My favorite film, Fail-Safe (the original 1964 one), by the same director:

and my favorite Michael Mann film, The Insider is so often overlooked. It starts as one examination of integrity, but becomes another entirely. I love when one film splits into two:

I'll start with this one:

Then there's this one:

It's a japanese post world war II crime mystery movie that borrows a few ideas from Shakespeare's Hamlet.

What are in your opinion movies that most don't know about but should definitely watch?

Toshiro Mifune is a badass. I'll add this to my list.

@sprint, Dude, just watch All The President's Men already haha! I mean, you got both guys there, in the 70s! Of course, that film doesn't count as overlooked.
yessir! was going to post it but I thought it had gotten a fair amount of attention over the years so I didn't think it fit the OP's intention of listing lesser known films that deserve more attention. Good call though - maybe some folks don't know about some of the old blockbusters just given their age.

Last edited:
If we're talking movies that should have done better box office then Scott Pilgram vs The World. Despite hating punk rock, knowing nothing about computer games, anime or graphic novels, I somehow loved this movie.

The Unknown Soldier (2017) , machine gun company in continuation war.
Based on Infantry Regiment 8 in (JR8) in the Karelian front.
Film based on true event in continuation war and also there is characters that based on real persons but
names are not real names in film. That Antero Rokka is fictional name but based true person (real name is Wiljam Pylkäs).
In film Rokka shoots about 50 enemy soldiers (what happened real is Wiljam Pylkäs shot with Suomi machine gun 83 enemies)
Same with some other characters.

Finland fought 3 different wars in WW2:

- Winter war 1939-1940 (30th November 1939 to 13 Mach 1940) - Finland - Soviet Union

- Continuation war 1941 - 1944 (25 June 1941 to 19 September 1944) Finland (side of Germany) - Soviet Union

- Lapland war 1944 - 1945 (28 September 1944 to 27 April 1945) Finland - Germany (this happened cause The Moscow Armistice,
signed on 19 September 1944, demanded that Finland break diplomatic ties with Germany and expel or disarm any German soldiers remaining in Finland).

War is totally sh...t and it seems that humankind never learns anything, still wars happen and all kind stupid stuff.
Even this film is war film it's also anti-war film.

Some examples about film in Youtube:

If we're talking movies that should have done better box office then Scott Pilgram vs The World. Despite hating punk rock, knowing nothing about computer games, anime or graphic novels, I somehow loved this movie.
Watched this again tonight, it's great.
So what if I'm secretly 12?

Interstate 60.
Written and directed by Bob Gale (back to the future)
starring. James Marsden, Gary Oldman, Amy Jo Johnson, Michael J Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Kurt Russel, Art Evans, Amy Smart and Chris Cooper. The cast is unreal for a indie movie.

Interstate 60.
Written and directed by Bob Gale (back to the future)
starring. James Marsden, Gary Oldman, Amy Jo Johnson, Michael J Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Kurt Russel, Art Evans, Amy Smart and Chris Cooper. The cast is unreal for a indie movie.

Wow, that does look interesting; you had me at Gary Oldman.

Back
Top Bottom