Motor City "Solution" pickup?

rsf1977_again

Power User
Has anyone had an experience with the Motor City pickup named the Solution? I hear a lot of random positive feedback but finding clips seems impossible. I'm curious where they land when compared to the bare knuckle offerings.

Yes sir, I have/have had tons of mcp pickups. Hell baby, nuke, solution, angel dust, detroiter, blister, afwayu.

The solution reminded me of a nail bomb, admittedly I've only heard, never owned a nail bomb.

I prefer the now discontinued hell baby to the solution.

Solution is a high dc high wind modern pickup , not like a paf.

Instead of comparing to BKP , what is it you are looking for in a pickup?

Let's put it this way, BKP never impressed me, but all of my MCP were keepers.

Ill give you the rundown of my pup journey.

Warpig: loved the full sound and width but a little loose on the low end and a bit too dark. Good sort of snarl character.

Aftermath: high end was really fatiguing and sizzly. Palm muting was a little out of control on the lowend, and it never felt like it breathed or bloomed.

Juggernaut : a big improvement on the aftermath kind of thing. Wider bigger tone really defined like the aftermath but not as constricted sounding. But again it has this fry/sizzle on the high and that after a while gets in my nerves

So what im trying to get to is a pickup that handles tight rhythm work in Drop-A tuning but has punch, bite, roar, size and openness for big open chords. So not technical death metal precision but not a dark loose mushy doom thing. Check out my band in my signature if you have a moment to get an idea of the range of styles im trying to cover if that is helpful. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ill give you the rundown of my pup journey.

Warpig: loved the full sound and width but a little loose on the low end.

Aftermath: high end was really fatiguing and sizzly. Palm muting was a little out of control on the lowend, and it never felt like it breathed or bloomed.

Juggernaut : a big improvement on the aftermath kind of thing. Wider bigger tone really defined like the aftermath but not as constricted sounding. But again it has this fry/sizzle on the high and that after a while gets in my nerves

So what im trying to get to is a pickup that handles tight rhythm work in Drop-A tuning but has bite, roar, size and openness for big open chords. So not technical death metal precision but not a dark loose mushy doom thing. Check my band in my signature to get an idea of the range of styles im trying to cover if that is helpful. Thanks in advance!

Ok I've played a bunch of warpig style pickups so I follow that.

I also hated the crispy highs of the aftermath, I loathe ceramic magnets.

Juggernaut I haven't heard.

All of those are higher wind pickups so PAF style seems out of the running though the most uncompressed pickups are lower winds.

I can say most of wades pickups breathe, not too many squash dynamics away.

You should look into a2 magnets, my angel dust has A2.

leaner bottom end and darker highs with good output and definitely not super compressed. It's a bright snarly pickup in the mids, with a bottom that doesn't fart out.

Also have you tried calling wade? He's really good about suggesting his own pickups or making custom winds.

I find bass and treble are easily hyped when tuning that low, it's a struggle for sure.

Yeah i emailed him, but i think I should get on the phone. I feel like my descriptions are so subjective they probably need a lengthy conversation about good and bad issues with what I've been using. Thanks so much for the info. Im going to look into A2 magnets. Ive actually never seen them recommended

Yeah i emailed him, but i think I should get on the phone. I feel like my descriptions are so subjective they probably need a lengthy conversation about good and bad issues with what I've been using. Thanks so much for the info. Im going to look into A2 magnets. Ive actually never seen them recommended

We'll based on what you seem to be looking for they fit the bill. Because you play metal everyone will steer you toward ceramic or A5 assuming crispy trebles huge bass and scooped mids are STILL what metal tone are. They are wrong.

Well,l i did find this pickup shootout clip that compares a few Bare Knuckles, Lundgren and Motor City pickups

Here's what's in the shootout if anyone is curious

Bare Knuckle:
Nailbomb
Warpig
Painkiller
Holydiver
Miracle Man

Lundgren:
Model M6

Motor City:
Detroiter
Solution