Most efficient setup?

Scooterjohn

Inspired
So my FX8 Mark II finally shows up today (so much for UPS next day air), and I won't have a lot of time to prepare for an afternoon gig tomorrow. Is the FX8 edit (on pc) the best way to get a working set up quickly?

I'd love it if Dr. Git weighs in, as he has the same amp. I'll have the amp ready to go before the FX8 gets here.

Any handy tips for the first time user?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FX8 Edit is by far the easiest way to create, edit and manage presets and effects. Just keep it simple to begin with and approach it like you would a regular pedalboard and you should be fine. That said, here's my advice of things I wish I knew at the beginning:
  • Download the manual to your computer and use the CTRL + F search function to use keywords to find what you're looking for.
  • Bookmark Axe-Fx II Wiki , answers to a lot of questions can be found there as well.
  • Avoid trying to make 'kitchen sink' presets. Just because there are eight blocks doesn't mean they all have to be used, this is where you can run into CPU issues. Each effect you add uses CPU whether the effect is on or not, both the X and Y state will affect the CPU as well.
  • One trick, if you're only using one type of effect, like Medium Hall Reverb, set the other state (x or y) to the effect model with the lowest CPU usage. For Reverb, it would be the Small Spring. This trick can reduce the CPU usage drastically depending upon the effect.
  • Remember to assign the effects or functions you want to control to the footswitches via the footswitch page. This is the one thing that usually trips up new users.
Good luck and have fun. It's easy to get overwhelmed, especially when you're in a time crunch, but breathe and be patient with yourself.

Dude its easy...I did it and im a knucklehead....download FX-8 edit from the Fractal site..instead of using your footswitch put a 5 pin midi cable on your amps IN and on the back of the FX_8 connect the 5 pin to the midi OUT..hook usb from computer to FX-8....It should display whatever preset its on. On this screen you'll see config. Hit that and then you'll see midi pc use that. Now you'll see the 8 scenes I use 16 which is your amps clean channel with FX loop on, and I use mostly 4/4 as pre/post for all of my presets....I do have a few that I switch to channel 2 and channel 3, but im using that less and less, as im getting good tones both ways. Remember to save every last detail you do and try reading the info some of the other guys gave to me, such as some of the screenshots. Cheers

Dude its easy...I did it and im a knucklehead....download FX-8 edit from the Fractal site..instead of using your footswitch put a 5 pin midi cable on your amps IN and on the back of the FX_8 connect the 5 pin to the midi OUT..hook usb from computer to FX-8....It should display whatever preset its on. On this screen you'll see config. Hit that and then you'll see midi pc use that. Now you'll see the 8 scenes I use 16 which is your amps clean channel with FX loop on, and I use mostly 4/4 as pre/post for all of my presets....I do have a few that I switch to channel 2 and channel 3, but im using that less and less, as im getting good tones both ways. Remember to save every last detail you do and try reading the info some of the other guys gave to me, such as some of the screenshots. Cheers

I only use the amp footswitch for rehearsals. I use a GCP and GCX, plus an Intellifex. Midi controlling the amp. ;)

I'd say run your old setup for the gig, and then dial in the FX8.

Well, the gig went pretty well...considering I had even less time to dial in than I thought. I'd forgotten I'd committed to meeting friends to see a band I'm friends with on Thursday. Luckily, it was an early gig...(theirs) and I was able to resume when I got back (at whisper volumes...stayed up til 3:00).

I was working on the setup Friday right up until I had to leave for my gig (almost late, if fact), and had to make some last minute decisions, like, using sticky scenes and F2 and F3 for up and down for presets. What I thought was enough effect while testing fairly loudly in the house, turned out to be too subtle in the context of the whole band. I'm going to have to find the best way to get the ratio more wet for my mono rig...AND I ran out of time to create two more presets for two particular songs, that need specific setups...wouldn't work nearly as well without them. So, I had to skip them. Too bad, as they're kind of my showcase songs. :( I got through it ok, overall.

Last edited:
Being able to setup that quickly for a gig is one of the real benefits of the Fx8.

I only had to plug in one IEC and two patch cords before, now it's two IEC's and two cables. If one notices their setup time takes a while, practicing setting up and tearing down should help a lot.

as it is the correct way to use the DELAY using the 4CM, I make this configuration but it sounds ugly, if the delay is in front of the effects chain and not at the end of the chain

as it is the correct way to use the DELAY using the 4CM, I make this configuration but it sounds ugly, if the delay is in front of the effects chain and not at the end of the chain

I'm a little confused. Are you asking how to set up your delay? It depends on what you want to have happen. Do you want to say have a synth have repeats, or do you want your repeats to have synth applied?

I use my delay in front of my amp (no loop) and it sounds fine.

I'm a little confused. Are you asking how to set up your delay? It depends on what you want to have happen. Do you want to say have a synth have repeats, or do you want your repeats to have synth applied?

I use my delay in front of my amp (no loop) and it sounds fine.

I want my delay to sound at the end of the caden, but I can not make it work, some have to play in the fx8, in menu maybe

I want my delay to sound at the end of the caden, but I can not make it work, some have to play in the fx8, in menu maybe

When you go to your actual effects order, just put it at the end. It will take a minute, less if you're using axe-edit.

You have to set the delay effect block also correctly in the "Config"-section. There you have to choose how many effects are in front of the amp (pre-effects) and how much are in the fx-loop (post-effects) (assuming you have one).

As a standard "initial to go" rule: modulation effects (e.g. chorus, phaser, etc.) and time based effects (e.g. delay, reverb, etc.) are placed in the fx-loop as post effects. That does not mean that it necessarily wouldn't sound bad in front of the amp. But it will sound different for sure.

Using the the 4CM cabling you also want to make sure that you have set appropriate db-levels in the fx-loop.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom