AFIII Morning Star - Vinnie Moore

Ben Randolph

Power User
I've deconstructed this piece over the past couple of weeks. Vinnie is absolutely not human, let me tell ya. This is recorded at a somewhat slower tempo than what Vinnie Moore does on the album. There are some sweeps that are honest to god faster than my top speed is. I can do it at 100%, but clarity suffers. So, in my quest to improve technique by learning from the masters, I've decided to focus less on raw speed but more on clarity.

Some intense sweeping here, arpeggios and of course alternate picking. I'm using an '87 Ibanez RG 550 blending the neck and middle pickups. DiMarzio Chopper in the middle and a Gravity Storm in the neck. The AxeFX patch is Petrucci Rig on the Learning to Lead preset. I've tweaked it a bit to have a clean boost pushing the amp sim.

Last edited:
I love this album and have wanted to try to learn some parts of it for years. Great work so far!

I enjoyed how this album had some "slower" shred work on it and it didn't lean on the neo-classical flavoring as hard.

I've deconstructed this piece over the past couple of weeks. Vinnie is absolutely not human, let me tell ya. This is recorded at a somewhat slower tempo than what Vinnie Moore does on the album. There are some sweeps that are honest to god faster than my top speed is. I can do it at 100%, but clarity suffers. So, in my quest to improve technique by learning from the masters, I've decided to focus less on raw speed but more on clarity.

Some intense sweeping here, arpeggios and of course alternate picking. I'm using an '87 Ibanez RG 550 blending the neck and middle pickups. DiMarzio Chopper in the middle and a Gravity Storm in the neck. The AxeFX patch is Petrucci Rig on the Learning to Lead preset. I've tweaked it a bit to have a clean boost pushing the amp sim.

Yeah, Vinnie has crazy chops.
The other nice thing about this tune is it’s Ionian and doesn’t sound “hokey”.
Most shredding is in the minor modes and scales.
So it’s nice to hear one in a major tonality.

Back
Top Bottom