More tone matching trickery

King Tone

Inspired
I have questions and concepts...

I have an idea that if I capture a tone match (using X) but not use the Y (I have one preset I use as a template) and save that preset, shouldn't I be able to change amp models and use the same match (X) ? I have been using the sine wave method with the synth. I know you can copy the tma block but if you leave Y blank it could be interesting if this would work. So many amps are marshall variants so auditioning the saved match on different amps seemed a neat idea. I will try it when not at work, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

For that matter what if you save X and do nothing with Y and hit enter? I know that it may not have anything to compare but could that get you closer(or farther away) to the original tone because you are not blending..?

So far I have a done a little tone matching and it did not seem hard but my results are not as close as Pete Thorn's for example. I have been trying to match my egnater mod 50 (with sl2 for the gain channel) and my egnater seminar head and the matches are close and sound good I just wonder if I am missing anything. I don't know how colored the power sections of the amps are, if the cables/length, etc are playing into it but I almost get the feeling I can get closer. Part of it could be choosing the correct amp model to start with, problem is I don't know which one is closest to the egnater stuff. I know these are both marshall/jcm 800-ish modded sounds but so far the shiva model may be the best. I would love to recreate the sl2 or the eg3/4 type sounds. Make no mistake, I am pretty close, just want to see if I can get closer. Any tips are appreciated! Amazing unit btw!

I also should add that I am going back and forth from the amp sound and the axe sound connected to the amp return,
not using cab sims.

Sure, you can use Tone Matching results with a local source other than the one used their creation -- whether that means the difference between X and Y or anything else is up to you.
Tone Match into a power amp and cabs though... that's not going to get you too far, as the cab is going to stamp its tonal signature right on top of your Match. This tech is really best for full range systems.

Sure, you can use Tone Matching results with a local source other than the one used their creation -- whether that means the difference between X and Y or anything else is up to you.
Tone Match into a power amp and cabs though... that's not going to get you too far, as the cab is going to stamp its tonal signature right on top of your Match. This tech is really best for full range systems.

I do understand what you are saying about using the cab, but I am trying to match the preamp section of the amp and the axe model. By using the amp through the speaker and the axe through the speaker I am thinking it should sound really close if the match is right. I am not using a mic, etc only sine wave from the synth to do the tm. I will also go back and compare with a power amp/speaker setup...kind of bumming some of that gear...I don't have a power amp yet myself. Hopefully get a matrix soon...

Back
Top Bottom