More than 1A through Axe FX??

le9508

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I have a quick question about the MIDI phantom power jack on the back of the Axe FX II XL. I am looking into modding my Behringer FCB1010 to accept phantom power through the MIDI port by replacing the existing 5-pin socket on the pedalboard with a 7-pin socket and wiring the two additional pins to the wires from the existing power supply. This way I would be able to connect an external wall wart to power the FCB1010 through the Axe FX.

However, I noticed that in the Axe FX manual, it specifically warns you not to connect a power adapter rated more than 1A. I have an adapter laying around that is rated at 1.7A DC. I am just wondering what would happen if I just plugged that in the Axe FX to power the FCB1010 but I am too scared to try myself and damage the Axe FX (that would be such a waste of money:(). I would really appreciate it if anyone here could tell me if this is safe or not, and if not, what exactly would happen. Thanks!!

I noticed that in the Axe FX manual, it specifically warns you not to connect a power adapter rated more than 1A. I have an adapter laying around that is rated at 1.7A DC. I am just wondering what would happen if I just plugged that in the Axe FX to power the FCB1010 but I am too scared to try myself and damage the Axe FX (that would be such a waste of money:().

I read that and chickened out. Since I had an old MIDI cable lay that I could open up the plug, I just connected the power supply directly to the MIDI cable so as to not risk the Axe at all.

If the manual says don't run more than an 1 amp through it then don't do it. You'll void your warranty and it's not worth the risk. Would be a pretty epic fail to damage a $2500 processor while trying to power a $150 MIDI controller.

The issue is not the power supply, but what you are powering.
How much current does the FCB1010 draw?

The power supply will only dish out as much current as the device it is powering requires. Simply plugging in a higher powered adapter won't hurt the Axe Fx.
I've heard of people burning out the phantom port trying to power some of the Liquid Foot MIDI controllers as they draw well over 1A.

I use a Diago Powerstation rated at 3A to power my MFC101 via MIDI and my Axe Fx has been fine.
I only do this as something is wrong with my ethernet port and I can't get it working via ethernet.

True, but if something goes wrong with the wiring or connector, a short could suddenly send 3A through your Axe. Might not be a bad idea to put a fuse between the two just in case.

Thanks to everyone who responded - if I understand correctly, it is safe to use the adaptor as long as the FCB1010 draws less than 1 amp of current

I have been researching this a little more and it turns out I'm not the first to have thought of this. On this website: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/how-to-power-phantom-fcb1010-through-midi-from-triaxis-84046.html, it says that the FCB101 requires 10V DC and only 120mA, so it should work perfectly and not damage the Axe FX in any way. Now the problem is: would 9V be enough to power a 10V device??

Also, another unrelated question: I am looking for a solution to control a Peavey 6505+ head from the FCB1010. Is this in any way possible? One thing I have noticed is that the 6505+ pedal has a Midi jack, so I am thinking it is possible, but I'd like to know if anyone else has done this before

I run my fcb phantom but I made a adapter plug to connect the power supply to. I would not take any chances with the axe, the fcb is cheap, midi cables are cheaper. better use more then 9 volt it will work for preset commands(with a short cable) put not switch and preset at the same time. If using an ac wart instead of dc you have to consider voltage drop in long cable of small wire. I am using a 12 volt power adaptor in between a 6' cable into the axe ( the axe cable does not get the power on the pins) and a 30' cable to the fcb have not had a problem.

The DIN Jack on the 6505+ is not for MIDI. Like modern Boogie amps, they use it for a multi-pin connector to the amp's dedicated footswitch. You could possibly make a custom cable adapter and use the switching relays in the FCB1010 to control two amp functions. Another solution would be something like this...

RJM Mini Amp Gizmo - MIDI Amplifier Controller

Exactly! The power rating of the power supply is *almost* irrelevant. If it's rated for 1A, it will probably deliver quite a bit more than that. The maximum current draw of the load is what is key. If the manual specifies the PS current rating, it could probably be updated to be more accurate.

You might want to consider one of these cables, where power doesn't pass through the Ax Fx.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocktron-5-Pi...d=1422453976&sr=8-3&keywords=midi+cable+7+pin
that is the cable the op asked about. you have to attach the power supply to the back of the axe to get it to the outer of those 7 pins to the little jumper on the 5 pin end
but there is a power use warning on the connection port on the back of the axe and op was concerned. that cable is for a rocktron and could work to phantom the fcb but if not done proprer could cause damage to one or both units.

I was using the stock rocktron power supply into the Axe-II with the All Access. Blew out a ferrite bead in the circuit and ended up having to wire it direct myself.

that is the cable the op asked about. you have to attach the power supply to the back of the axe to get it to the outer of those 7 pins to the little jumper on the 5 pin end
but there is a power use warning on the connection port on the back of the axe and op was concerned. that cable is for a rocktron and could work to phantom the fcb but if not done proprer could cause damage to one or both units.

I didn't see where the OP ever referenced this particular cable. Anyway, you do not have to attach the power adapter to the back of the Axe Fx using this cable, the power adapter attaches directly to the pigtail (at the Axe Fx end of the cable), and is fed to the foot controller at the other end. It never passes through the Axe Fx. That's why the MIDI connetor at the pigtail end is only a 5 pin, and the other end is a 7 pin. Using this cable does require that your foot controler be setup to accept phantom power via MIDI, so he would still need to modify his foot controler for that, no matter what cable he used.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocktron-5-Pi...d=1422453976&sr=8-3&keywords=midi+cable+7+pin

Last edited:
I didn't see where the OP ever referenced this particular cable. Anyway, you do not have to attach the power adapter to the back of the Axe Fx using this cable, the power adapter attaches directly to the pigtail (at the Axe Fx end of the cable), and is fed to the foot controller at the other end. It never passes through the Axe Fx. That's why the MIDI connetor at the pigtail end is only a 5 pin, and the other end is a 7 pin. Using this cable does require that your foot controler be setup to accept phantom power via MIDI, so he would still need to modify his foot controler for that, no matter what cable he used.

Exactly. The end at the Axe will only have 5 pins, and the Axe will never receive any of the power sent into the barrel connector from the external power supply. The other end has 7 pins and will provide power to the FCB once it's had the 7-pin mod done to it. I had this very connector when I ran a Rocktron Ground Control Pro back in the dark ages.

While I'm not aware of one specifically, I would not be surprised if someone makes a 5-pin to 5-pin MIDI cable with a male to female barrel connector on it for passing power along with a 5-pin MIDI setup.

sorry! I guess I shouldn't assume but when some one asks about using a 7 to 5 cable. and the axe 7 pin is to phantom power when you plug the power supply in to the back of the axe and the op said he wanted to power the fcb through the axe , I assumed that is what he was wanting to do. MIDI and MIDI menu - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom