More stereo routing confusion

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I hope someone can help me set up my stereo FX properly, as my rig isn't behaving the way I would like it to. My setup is Axe II into Atomic 50/50 (split L and R) into two 2x12 cabs via Output 2.

This is what I want:

Cab 1: 80% dry, 20% wet
Cab 2: 20% dry, 80% wet

How do I correctly dial in the mix parameters in the Amp and Reverb blocks, and the I/O settings to achieve this? Do I need to use a Mixer block in the routing?

I hope someone can help me set up my stereo FX properly, as my rig isn't behaving the way I would like it to. My setup is Axe II into Atomic 50/50 (split L and R) into two 2x12 cabs via Output 2.

This is what I want:

How do I correctly dial in the mix parameters in the Amp and Reverb blocks, and the I/O settings to achieve this? Do I need to use a Mixer block in the routing?

I believe you can find your answers by reading the manual on page 154 and 155 (section 16.7: Mono and Stereo). The mixology paragraph explains how to mix your use of the parameters.
The most important part to understand is: channels 1-4 of the OUTPUT mixer are fed respectively by the stereo outputs (each grid row is already stereo) of rows 1-4 of the grid . With the balance knobs you can control how wet/dry you would like it to be (it determines how the left and right channels contribute to the final mix).

Last edited:
I believe you can find your answers by reading the manual on page 154 and 155 (section 16.7: Mono and Stereo). The mixology paragraph explains how to mix your use of the parameters.
The most important part to understand is: channels 1-4 of the OUTPUT mixer are fed respectively by the stereo outputs (each grid row is already stereo) of rows 1-4 of the grid . With the balance knobs you can control how wet/dry you would like it to be (it determines how the left and right channels contribute to the final mix).
Thanks but I'm still none the wiser. :/

OK I understand; but I assumed that you were familiar with the common mix parameters (page 112: section 5.36); these explain exactly how to get a dry/wet mix. Almost every block has a mix-page. It is here where you control your dry/wet mix. Please let us know if this is understandable.

OK I understand; but I assumed that you were familiar with the common mix parameters (page 112: section 5.36); these explain exactly how to get a dry/wet mix. Almost every block has a mix-page. It is here where you control your dry/wet mix. Please let us know if this is understandable.
I think I understand this. But how do I send a different mix to each cab?

Run you amp block in a cab block, then split the signal from the CAB to a null filter and to another row.
EDIT: of course you need the cab block only if you are running FRFR cabs.

Pan the filter 80%L and run shunts all the way to the output.

Put all you effects on the second row and pan the last one 80%R.

There are better ways, but you will find them after reading the material guitargeorge suggested.

IMHO: you'd get way better results panning only the dry signal (if you really need to pan) and the leaving the effects unpanned.

If reverb is your only effect you can branch to a shunt & reverb block (100% mix) in the last column. Then use the output mixer balances to get the L:R balance you want for each signal.

I've figured out how to get a wet/dry balance using the mixer controls in the FX loop block but the output is only being fed to one of my cabs. I want to send an INVERSE mix to my second cab... :/

If you want delay in parallel w/ reverb you can add it in parallel and set its row balance the same way.

For effects in series you'd have to use a different type of routing to keep the wet sound as it would have been. Set delay & reverb to 100% mix, then connect like this: http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/6716/serieswetdrypan.jpg Set the amount of each effect via its own level control, then use output mixer for balance and (if desired) overall wet level.

It's possible to add more effect in series before those: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/1233/serieswetdrypan2.jpg Note the connection to reverb from row 2 there; this is needed to get the chorus (or whatever your first effect is) sound to the reverb as it would normally reach it, applied to both the dry signal and delay repeats.

I'll try that Bakerman when I need to configure my FOH signal. As it stands I am only concerned with what my backline is getting (FX Loop, Output 2).

I've figured out how to get a wet/dry balance using the mixer controls in the FX loop block but the output is only being fed to one of my cabs. I want to send an INVERSE mix to my second cab... :/

Post the preset, then there's less time & guesswork involved to figure out what your routing & settings are.

Set amp balance control to 0 (center). Use FX Loop Pan 2 and Pan 3 to put each signal mostly in one channel or the other.

Back
Top Bottom