More Scenes Than I Need

geetarplayer

Experienced
I've realized that I create more scenes than I really need. E.G. A slightly higher gain scene may be a copy of another scene, with Drive up a bit, where I easily could have gotten away with turning up my guitar volume, or even digging in more. At first thought, it made me wonder why I would do that, as it seemed like I was making things more complicated than it needed to be.

And now I realize it actually makes things simpler for me.

My setup is always 1 preset per song. So, the scene names guide me through the song, telling me what's coming next, for the most part.

Just thought I'd share.

Different approaches, different ways, different advantages. Sometimes, the guitar's volume knob is great — simple and quick. Other times, it takes your hand away from the business of playing guitar. Or of having scenes to tell you what's next. I'm glad you found what's right for your situation. That's really what it's all about.

Thinking about how one might approach dynamics is always an interesting concept. If perhaps you've got a scene that responds dynamically to your touch, you could easily delete one or more scenes that have the same effect, only where you might not bother with either your guitar volume or pick attack.

One of my mindsets is always one of trying to find more efficient/effective ways of doing things, whether it be gear or technique. Allowing dynamics to be a greater aspect of your practice/gigging time makes it for a more enjoyable listen, simply because you employ the 3 methods of better speaking technique: pitch, pace and power.

If one modulates, changes pace, and speaks louder/softer during their discussion, it prevents your audience from snoozing because it keeps their interest. Consider the opposite: repetitive monotone. Bleagh. Same with music.

Last edited:
In my main gigging band I use one preset for everything we do (it's an 8-piece r&b band with horns) from Sam & Dave to Chicago to Steely Dan, etc. I have two scenes but use only the Effects layout (I start with the OFM9G layout) and have one button that toggles between scenes 1 and 2...but everything else I need is "effects-oriented" or "channel-oriented".

But then for other projects I'll use scenes heavily for different parts of a song (e.g., I have one preset for covering the tune Times Like These).

The most interesting thing I think I've done so far entailed a situation where I really wanted to use scenes within a particular preset, but I also needed a momentary switch to turn a tremolo block on/off in one scene. I didn't want to have to switch to the Effects layout in order to make that switch available. After a little experimenting, I found that you can replace switches in the Scenes (Layouts #2 or 3) with per-preset overrides...so that's what I did. I needed three scenes and in place of the 4th scene, I did an override with a momentary switch for the trem.

Back
Top Bottom