More PRS models…💯

I’m intrigued by these and am considering replacing my Strat with one. Interested on @Andy Eagle ’s take on these.

Scarf joints are generally used as a solution to headstocks snapping off with a sideways glance but I believe their effectiveness or need is based on the headstock back angle. (I Am Not A Luthier. Take my opinion as highly uninformed.)

I’m intrigued by these and am considering replacing my Strat with one. Interested on @Andy Eagle ’s take on these.

Scarf joints are generally used as a solution to headstocks snapping off with a sideways glance but I believe their effectiveness or need is based on the headstock back angle. (I Am Not A Luthier. Take my opinion as highly uninformed.)
Scarf joints are used so you don’t need a full width maple block. There’s a lot of waste if the neck angle is cut with the neck.

Scarf joints are used so you don’t need a full width maple block. There’s a lot of waste if the neck angle is cut with the neck.
That’s what I understood. That’s why when Paul pulls out a Mahogany or Rosewood neck blank it’s a big hunk of wood. It would be possible to get two necks from those blanks if they were scarfed. I was surprised that Maple would be the first wood they decide to do this on a Core model. We have plenty of Maple in the US. Maybe nice straight grain quarter sawn Maple is getting harder and expensive to source. Or heck, who knows what sort of ESG BS pressures companies are having to deal with these days. Oh well, I’ve witnessed properly glued wood perform stronger than the wood itself.

They seem to be selling well. Sweetwater are down to just two in stock from the 1/2 dozen or more they had earlier today. I can’t decide which I like better. I think the switching tonal variations and NF pups on the Myles are really nice, but like the DD NF pickups on the NF3. They get the single coil sound, but also get a really nice humbucking tone.

These look so good. Really eager to hear thoughts from those of you that get one here. I love a good Tele guitar. Both of these sound great, but the MK model does sound a little more like a very bright LP to me.

It’s hard to gauge the sounds from PRS’s videos, because they’re definitely produced. Would love to try these out on my own at some point.

I have four Teles, and this looks tempting. Hopefully the NF53 pickups are brighter than regular NF pickups and have at least 2+ leads for phase and series connections. All my Teles have 4P5T 5 way switches....
Just looked at the comparison video on the PRS site, and the NF53 sounds really nice. Clarity and balance are pretty good for a lot of styles....

Ibanez style scarf joints are functionally superior to it being cut from a single block as is the use of three or more laminates for the neck as a whole. The tonal consequences are minimal IMO and it is the way to go, same as adding graphite reinforcement rods under the fingerboard. If however you are going for a true vintage fender tone I would say that a one piece construction with a vintage single rod is probably the only way to achieve that authentically but this would also require vintage size frets.
The company that needs to think about this the most is Gibson . I realise that the customer base wouldn't allow it but the 17 degree angle and use truss rod rout leave a tiny amount of wood at the weakest spot and the grain is across the shortest part. This is the worst design from a structural perspective that I can think of in common guitars .
57gold15.jpg

Ibanez have also used the mutipiece neck without the scarf but this is very good too because the angle is not too severe and the truss rod access is kept to a minimum;
images.jpeg
Either of these is going to be more than enough when the neck wood is maple.

NiCe!! Let us know what you think.
It got delayed to tomorrow but it did ship today. But ill open it up and let you guys know whats going on inside. Im very curious how the "hi end rolloff push/pull" is actually happening. But since it has a 5 way with coil split options on the pickups, id bet its a 4 or 5 conductor lead for the MF NF. I wouldnt be surprised if the DDNF are 3 conductor , i doubt it though.

Well that explains all the ‘professionally repaired headstock’ Gibson’s I see on Reverb.
@Andy Eagle Does this also explain why some people insist a repaired headstock sounds better? In your experience, is there something to that, based on a stronger joint? Looking at your images, I wonder if a scarf joint Les Paul might sound better for non-obvious reasons.

@Andy Eagle Does this also explain why some people insist a repaired headstock sounds better? In your experience, is there something to that, based on a stronger joint? Looking at your images, I wonder if a scarf joint Les Paul might sound better for non-obvious reasons.
All breaks and repairs are different so it's impossible to generalise.

Back
Top Bottom