Wish More modifiers: CAB block (33 possible new modifiers tested w/ AE 1.06.01)

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
Using Axe-Edit v1.06.01 (which allowed attaching modifiers to almost any parameter), I systematically went through the 33 non-modifiable parameters in the CAB block and tested them for "artifacts" or glitches outside of expected effects of changing that parameter using a dial (such as static, humming, clicking, thumping, or a crash).

For the CAB block, the majority of continuously variable parameters have no artifacts when using a modifier (i.e. LFO and expression pedal). Some continuous parameters did have low to moderate artifacts like static or hum when changed smoothly. All discrete parameters (switches or lists) had expected artifacts due to discrete changes but no other artifacts. Attached is a Google sheet with the test results for all CAB parameters which users and FAS can consult.

This thread is for users to propose which parameters you'd like to have modifiers be available - assuming they meet Cliff's "free (enough) from artifacts" criteria. Please limit your request to 5-10 parameters and hopefully there will be some overlap or consensus on a set that Cliff might consider opening to modifiers.

Google sheet - All CAB parameters tested for modifier artifacts

Thanks!

Last edited:
+1 for modifiers of cab block parameters. For Dyna Cabs, it would be wonderful to assign Position and Distance, and for Legacy, to assign IR#.

Position and Distance would be helpful to set mic position with two expression pedals while playing, or to assign to Scene Controllers for different positions for certain scenes. You could even have cool effects like starting with a dark mic position, and fading gradually into a present position with a single expression pedal.

Setting IR# with a modifier would allow gapless cab changes.

Good point. Though channel changes in the Cab block are also pretty much gap free.
That's probably because the Cab block is basically a big EQ block. There might be a gap induced if the Cab block's preamp is turned up high enough to generate distortion in the model because that'd be non-linear behavior, like the Drive and Amp blocks, so there might need to be a settle time.

Good point. Though channel changes in the Cab block are also pretty much gap free.

I can't get back to test it right now, but I know I've tested it before and heard a gap, even with the block reset, with just different IRs, so there was no High Quality preamp, and no preamp Saturation or Drive. For some reason there was still a gap. And there was one with Dyna Cabs too. I mean, it's not a huge deal, and I haven't tested recently to see if it's still the case, but I'm pretty sure it is.

And of course I know in the real world you're not usually changing between different mic'd cabs on a stage or in a rehearsal. It's just something I think could be one of those features that extends beyond usage in the real world to equal the kind of thing we get with the mods we can perform in the advanced features of the amp block, some of which I guess wouldn't make sense in the real world, but are still cool as hell haha.

And, to go further, the current gaps in the unit are really really tiny, and often not functionally noticable at all. I was not even worried about gapless programming for a little while with the latest updates in amp block channel switching, e.g., when one day I jumped to a solo with a different amp and cab, and the first note was cut off at the beginning, and that led me to go right back to my methods of using Multiplexers, Mixers, and Scene Controllers. Your musical OCD may vary. :)

That's probably because the Cab block is basically a big EQ block.
It's not, though. While the Cab block is largely an EQ-like function, its convolution engine is way different from a modeled EQ circuit. Still, there's not a lot of data to transfer.

It's not, though. While the Cab block is largely an EQ-like function, its convolution engine is way different from a modeled EQ circuit. Still, there's not a lot of data to transfer.
That was what I was trying to say. It’s pretty lightweight until the preamp is involved then it can move into non-linear behavior.

With the CAB block in AxeFX3 supporting four IRs/mics I am happy with being able to attach a modifier to Level, Pan, and maybe Room Level. Being able to mix four slots is pretty powerful.

I can see how low-cut and high-cut could also be useful as would position and distance for dyna-cabs, but I think I can easily get what I want by blending the four slots which each have their own values for these parameters. More sophisticated users may want to control many parameters in the pre-amp section, but I typically don't mess with those.

Currently I use multiple channels of the Cab block in my presets, but typically the only difference between the channels is a change of the mix/level between multiple IRs/mic slots. I have presets where I use a pedal to control several modifiers assigned to amp block parameters and being able to add modifiers to the Level parameter of each Cab slot to that same pedal would be great.

When I manually scroll through IRs using the front panel, I can't hear any gap.
Yep. I found the quote I was looking for that confirms they’re preloaded…

"To reduce boot time some of the boot tasks (copying presets and cabs from slow FLASH memory to fast DDR memory) are done in the background. This takes a couple minutes to complete and reduces CPU power available to servicing other low-priority tasks. Once the tasks are completed any lag will go away." [37]

Yep. I found the quote I was looking for that confirms they’re preloaded…

That makes me wonder if simply making simple cab block channel changes gap free would be feasible. I need to recheck the IR Player block to see if simply changing Legacy IRs creates a gap there. I tested this too at some point, but I don't remember. @BobXX, who was doing all that gap testing in his thorough and well researched gapless series, reports a minimal gap in the IR Player too, just smaller than that of the cab block.

Channels aside, I've written before, all I can program is a spreadsheet, so I don't know how much of a problem it would be to create a modifier for Legacy IR numbers and Dyna Cab Position and Distance, but it just feels intuitive to me as a layman that if there is no gap, audio artifact, or glitching if you scroll through these parameters with an encoder knob, it seems possible to assign to a modifier.

Back
Top Bottom