Moore Tube Engine

Sixstring

Legend!
I have been thinking of getting a guitar cab and power amp just because and was wondering if there was a yube power amp out there that was fairly small and sub $500. I went looking and found the Moore Tube engine. Anyone have a chance to try one of these to power a guitar cab with? It's a 20 watt Class A/B power amp with a pair of EL84's.

Music express

Damn, I was looking for confirmation with what I was about to say, and found an old post of yours!

What I was going to say is, while I don't have any experience with the amp in your OP, I have tried my Mesa Dyna-Watt 20/20 (also uses EL84's, but the manual doesn't say what class), and it's not so great with the Axe III into my Recto cabs. Just too narrow of a sound (that basically sounds like a strangled version of that amp.) It's sounds pretty good when used with a real tube pre-amp, ie, Tri Axis or MP-1, but not as an amp for the Fractal.

Your old post:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mesa-20-20-or-the-new-matrix-1-unit.55670/post-702089

Edited to add: So from what you said 11 years ago, wouldn't you think another EL84-based power amp would give you essentially the same results?

Damn, I was looking for confirmation with what I was about to say, and found an old post of yours!

What I was going to say is, while I don't have any experience with the amp in your OP, I have tried my Mesa Dyna-Watt 20/20 (also uses EL84's, but the manual doesn't say what class), and it's not so great with the Axe III into my Recto cabs. Just too narrow of a sound (that basically sounds like a strangled version of that amp.) It's sounds pretty good when used with a real tube pre-amp, ie, Tri Axis or MP-1, but not as an amp for the Fractal.

Your old post:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mesa-20-20-or-the-new-matrix-1-unit.55670/post-702089

Edited to add: So from what you said 11 years ago, wouldn't you think another EL84-based power amp would give you essentially the same results?
Ha! how the hell did you find that? I don't know... the boogie is a different animal for sure I danced with one for a hot minute when I was still driving guitar cabs, I think it was definitely designed with their pre's in mind. That thought did come to mind regarding the EL84 sound.

I found this vid but it's not very helpful unless your looking to chug heavy tones.

The type of power tube doesn't dictate the sound of the amp.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/why-power-tubes-sound-different.79962/
@unix-guy Ah yes!

Based on Cliffs post which I thought was a great explanation and brought back an oh yeah that's right moment that I had totally forgotten about so thanks for the link!.

I think when most people are talking about how tubes sound differently they are not thinking about the other half of the amp circuit, which he kind of mentions in a roundabout way but the speaker load being that other half! Generally a speaker is required to produce a sound and different tube types reacting to that difference in impedance thus changing the sound.

So you're right in saying power tubes don't dictate the sound of an amp but they definitely play a role!

To quote a sentence from the post!

"It is the impedance of the speaker that affects the tone of the amp and different types of power tubes react differently with that impedance. As I've mentioned before a power tube is nearly a current source. The operative word here is "nearly". No power tube has an infinite plate impedance and that's why power tubes sound different".

First of all... screw you for posting a video of that guy. Can't stand him lol. And it wouldn't have been so bad because I'd normally just ignore it but I felt like I had to at least check it out. Ugh. I also didn't think his setup sounded very good in that but that doesn't mean the Mooer was to blame.

Idk man. I'm guessing it'll work but I'd sure explore other options. I'd expect a bit more buzz about them if that was very good. Still...could be excellent.

If you were trying to do something specific I might offer up a few more options but since you're just kinda wanting to get a tube power amp and cab I suppose this fits the PA half of the criteria.

First of all... screw you for posting a video of that guy. Can't stand him lol. And it wouldn't have been so bad because I'd normally just ignore it but I felt like I had to at least check it out. Ugh. I also didn't think his setup sounded very good in that but that doesn't mean the Mooer was to blame.

Idk man. I'm guessing it'll work but I'd sure explore other options. I'd expect a bit more buzz about them if that was very good. Still...could be excellent.

If you were trying to do something specific I might offer up a few more options but since you're just kinda wanting to get a tube power amp and cab I suppose this fits the PA half of the criteria.
Ok well sorry...:rolleyes: I don't know anything about him nor do I care he was one of the only one out there to have a demo using it!

For the money, for a mono tube power amp to power a cab guitar I was wondering if anyone had tried it with FAS gear and how it sounded. I know that some can sound underwhelming. I know there are some really good power amps out there but they are expensive! Thought this might be a decent alternative.

I have been thinking about running a tube power amp and cab again but don't really want to spend a grip of cash doing it. On the cab side I am pretty set on a Vertical 212 V30 greenback combo! reason for the tube power amp is for simplification in the power amp modeling side of the deal. But I'm open to a good SS power amp as well. If Im not mistaking I think you were running a SD power amp with your 412's and seem to like it.

Last edited:
Ok well sorry...:rolleyes: I don't know anything about him nor do I care he was one of the only one out there to have a demo using it!

For the money, for a mono tube power amp to power a cab guitar I was wondering if anyone had tried it with FAS gear and how it sounded. I know that some can sound underwhelming. I know there are some really good power amps out there but they are expensive! Thought this might be a decent alternative.

I have been thinking about running a tube power amp and cab again but don't really want to spend a grip of cash doing it.
I was just giving you a hard time lol.

The FM9 through my EVH fx loop and real cab is beastly so I definitely understand wanting a tube amp and cab. You're right though they do get expensive.

I was just giving you a hard time lol.

The FM9 through my EVH fx loop and real cab is beastly so I definitely understand wanting a tube amp and cab. You're right though they do get expensive.
And that's the deal as the interaction between the tube amp and cab is undeniable in many respects! I thought about just grabbing a Fryette LXII and a pair of 212's loaded with the speaker combo I posted. I know it would be a killer setup for the home listening but the thought of dropping another 2k right now the wife is giving some serious stink eye o_O!

I have been thinking of getting a guitar cab and power amp just because and was wondering if there was a yube power amp out there that was fairly small and sub $500. I went looking and found the Moore Tube engine. Anyone have a chance to try one of these to power a guitar cab with? It's a 20 watt Class A/B power amp with a pair of EL84's.

Music express
I realize this isn't in your $500
I am going with a Revv G50
going to use 4cm preset with an IR before returning to the power stage of the amp
into a 2x12 passive mission engineering cab
G50 seems like a versatile amp for integration with Fractal

I realize this isn't in your $500
I am going with a Revv G50
going to use 4cm preset with an IR before returning to the power stage of the amp
into a 2x12 passive mission engineering cab
G50 seems like a versatile amp for integration with Fractal
I was thinking more of a tube amp powered guitar cab, so instead of an FRFR it would be a TPGC or something like that. For those that want that amp in the room feel but still want to run a modeler.

I was thinking more of a tube amp powered guitar cab, so instead of an FRFR it would be a TPGC or something like that. For those that want that amp in the room feel but still want to run a modeler.
I have run a fryette ps2
It is an attenuator although I used it to power my 2x12 frfr using the 6L6 power tubes and a flat or neutral eq setting.

Back
Top Bottom