Moody Blues Tones

felken

Inspired
Anyone able to get this tone without tone matching. Check out the intro and tone at 3:05

Moody Blues ~ You and Me - YouTube

I believe it is a 335 into a fuzz similar to a tone bender into a Vox AC30.

I get in the ball park using that gear but not all the way there. I suppose given an isolated track it could be tone matched but I am unaware of any iso tracks so that leaves building it "old school".

I don't know how much, if any, outboard gear contibuted to this tone. Legend has it it was a lot about the fuzz box he had at the time.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a rotary/tremolo stuff with low mix there too.... And compression..

Very low quality on that one, so it`s not easy to hear everything in the tone.. I guess it`s missing a lot of top end in the YT clip.

Yeah I hear some modulation at times also I think. Going from memory I don't think his tone had a lot of top end though. I think the YT vid is close to what it sounds like on CD etc.

There is a character to the tone that is hard to describe, probably mostly a combination of that fuzz he used and the room, mics, pres and compressers etc in the studio.

I would like to get that live but no success yet.

It would be cool if Cliff could add some kind of block to get these sounds live that are on old analog recordings from the 60s and 70s.

Still hoping for some help from the forum also.

I am not sure I hear that, maybe a low mix of it.

I hear a fatness and richness to the tone that is hard to replicate.

Back
Top Bottom