Mono & stereo effects - FX loop or not to loop?

brain21

Inspired
So here is the situation. I have the following 3 effects that I need to decide where they are going to go in the chain, and then get some sort of a bypass to suit:

VG-8 - Since I have a standard, and I will likely need some sort of synth sounds, I'm putting my VG-8 on the floor. It offers mono and stereo outputs. Would likely use mono when doing stringed instrument emulation, and stereo when doing synth stuff.

Line6 Filter Pro - Funky filter. Nothing sounds cooler than something like a seekwah panning back & forth! I'd really like to run this in stereo if possible.

Digitech IPS33B - Intelligent Pitch Shifter. Has left and right out. I would probably run this in mono. Don't see any reason for the need for stereo.

So from what I've read, the VG-8 seems to keep getting placed into the FX loop.
The FilterPro would work fine in the front input, but then I would lose the stereo option!
IPS33B running in mono is fine. I don't think it matters too much if I run this in front or in the loop - either way I'm going to have to use a bypass switcher for it.

What would you recommend I place where? I can place everything in the effects loop and in stereo mode, which is my plan since I have a Rolls RP93S (Midi controlled 4 stereo loop switcher). I'm thinking that if I place EVERYTHING in a stereo effects loop, thje first in the chain needs to be the VG-8 (to emulate the base instruments) then the harmonizer, and then the filter (better to apply a filter effect to a harmonizer than the other way around since the harmonizer will be confused by a filter), and then perhaps a Fuzz if I get one for the loop.

Am I heading down the right path here? Would you guys do something different?

Back
Top Bottom